Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right.
I bet all of us experienced this weak engine at cold temperatures... so I was thinking.
Has anyone come up with an idea what to do to make it better?

On my daily commute I must merge on a highway/freeway (speed limit 55 MPH). I try to avoid biggest traffic and leave early enough. However, from time to time I get into a long line of cars and there are gaps long enough to merge, but require fast action.
Since engine at this point is anywhere between 35 C and 50 C - it does not pump much power to the nice looking wheels.
It gets worse when I floor it.
Forte seems slower on cold than my 2009 2.0 NA Elantra... and it is frustrating.

Hence a question.
Any ideas what to do? Anyone has some good suggestions?

So far I learnt to keep gas far from the floor, kind of in the middle. This way it gets boost for lower part of RPM. Other than that - well, it acts like NA 1.6 engine running rich.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start your car a bit before you leave and let it warm up.
yeah, sure... and give it a warm hug before startup :D
or move to south Texas.

Now, seriously, I am looking for some solution here.
Sure, not expecting full boost, but at least to avoid the feeling it drops on its face under WOT when actually it feels like it slows down.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You can talk to tork about getting a tune. Without hard wiring in a resistor I don't know how else you would defeat the ecu's safeguards other than a tune.

·
Registered
171 Posts
yeah, sure... and give it a warm hug before startup :D
or move to south Texas.

Now, seriously, I am looking for some solution here.
Sure, not expecting full boost, but at least to avoid the feeling it drops on its face under WOT when actually it feels like it slows down.
No seriously, let your car warm up for a while. I live in Canada and its routinely -20 here in the mornings. I let my car warm up for 15- 20 mins (because I can) and my car is up to temp by the end of my road. Then its full power.

And also, you don't want to be pushing your engine when its cold. That's how spark plugs break and more engine wear occurs.

·
Registered
458 Posts
When it's cold I let me car warmup for 5min before driving. Then it's only another 5min before its at operating temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you missed the point.

I am not saying - give it all boos and rev to fuel cut off.

All I am saying is that for some weird reason the mapping, unless there is something wrong on mine, drops the power in low band if you depress the gas too deep.
I barely let it rev beyond 3k during normal driving (unless I need it), so that is not an issue. Letting it idle for 5 minutes before leaving - can't be done as I park in a attached garage, so the last thing I want to have is a place full of fumes. Plus, that requires me going there to start the car. :D

I thought that maybe there is something I do not know about this particular setup that causes the power to simply drop. Again, when accelerating with engine about say 45 C, it gets more power at half throttle than close to WOT. That drives me crazy.

Oh, finally, nope, the blanket will not do much good. I had engine block heater on Elantra. Sure, it helps a bit, but it is not like going into a warm engine. The 400 W heater was able to add maybe 30 degrees at -20 C outside (at that time garage was still full of boxes) so I would end up with +10 C in coolant after 90 minutes of heating what is about 40 seconds of driving.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't even boost at all. Best is to let it warm up. With my tune yeah its not limited when it's cold but I still won't boost till I get all the normal bars on the temp gauge.

The mappings in the stock tune are really nuts from what I have heard and need a lot of fine tuning for even the stage 0 that tork offers. I am running stock tune right now and yeah it sucks big time lol

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
haha! florida wins one! i usually check my clash of clans when i start my car in the morning and by the time i get done with my collecting my car is already warmed up enough for me to drive away... does help that i have it in the garage also which is usually average of 5 to 10 degrees warmer than outside... which isnt helpful in the dead summer... hopefully i can fix that soon with some insulation over the garage soon

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly I wouldn't even boost at all. Best is to let it warm up. With my tune yeah its not limited when it's cold but I still won't boost till I get all the normal bars on the temp gauge.

The mappings in the stock tune are really nuts from what I have heard and need a lot of fine tuning for even the stage 0 that tork offers. I am running stock tune right now and yeah it sucks big time lol
Thanks, that's what I thought.
I will repeat what I feel is happening.

At low to mid throttle I get some power, I pass mid going toward WOT (it is not a big deal in M/T as it will not rev like crazy) and the power drops!! It seems like I pushed the brakes. It still pulls, but is weaker.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
sounds like you are WOT at a lower rpm and your experiencing some of the hot-pipe upgrade reasoning honestly.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I'm going to find out tomorrow when I finally read the ECU, but I'd bet the farm there there are tables that relate torque/power with coolant temperature.

Power will be limited until coolant temps (and the engine) are at operating temp. This would be for safety and reliability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts