Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I would post up a thread about cleaning your intercooler. When I first got my car I did this and a ton of oils and whatever else was from the manufacturing process.

So first thing you need to get the bumper off. Here is the thread I did for the bumper http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/36-kia-forte-turbo-diy-section/721-bumper-removal.html

Once the bumper is off and the car is safely lifted it is time to remove the crash bar. There are 4 13mm bolts on each side of the crash bar along with a 10mm nut. Unbolt those and set the bar off to the side.

Once that's done you will see the intercooler sitting there with the plastic shroud. As you can see there is 2 10mm bolts holding the shroud on. That needs to come off. You can see that my intercooler is super dirty.

Next step I forgot to get pictures of is you need to take off the lower hot pipe and the upper cold pipe from the intercooler. You also need to pull out the MAP sensor on the top. On the right side next to the BOV you will see a bracket that holds a wire on and a 10mm bolt. That needs to be undone also. Then you need to unbolt the mount for the solenoid for the BOV and it also has a 10mm bolt on it. There are a few spots on the intercooler that holds wires onto it and they need to be popped off. Then take the vacuum line off the BOV and there is a little nipple that points down right below it with another vacuum line and that needs to be removed also.

Next is to take the 2 10mm bolts off of the bracket that holds the intercooler in place on the top. I forgot to get pictures of this also but will the next time I pull it out. Once the bracket is off you can tilt the intercooler forward and lift a little bit to release the lower mounts. They are just rubber mounts so nothing special. Be careful pulling the intercooler out to not bend any fins. Then you will want to take off the BOV and the rubber mounts.

Ok so once it is out you want to get all the dust and junk off the front and back. I used a paint brush and my air compressor to blow out everything. Then I used pool acid that you get at home depot or lowes or any pool store. This is where you need to be outside in a well ventilated area and wear gloves and even eye protection. You will want to pour the acid slowly all over the intercooler and inside the intercooler.

As you can see in the last picture the smoke coming from the intercooler from the acid. Stay back from the intercooler while it is smoking. It will get worse but no worries it is fine and just let it sit for about 10min. Then take your hose and just run water all over it and inside it. No need for a lot of pressure because all the junk will come out easy with the acid. You will see all of the junk coming off the intercooler and you will be amazed at how clean it will look after it is fully rinsed.

You will want to blow out the intercooler with a air compressor to get all the water off it and try to blow the water out of it. What I do is lightly tap the bottom of the intercooler on the ground to knock any water on the inside down to the bottom. Put a towel down so it doesn't damage it to. If you have a heat gun or even a hair dryer you can take that to the outside of the intercooler and just heat all the fins and core to evaporate the water before installing.

Once done the install is in the reverse order! You will be happy to see lower intake temps after cleaning all the junk off it and out of it.

Reactions: Caezar

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why does the inside of the IC need cleaning? Doesn't the air going through the IC pass through the air filter?

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to do this but dont have a compressor..:(

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
If you need help doing this bro hit me up and you can come to my place and we can do it here. You will be amazed at the difference and the crap that comes out! Could also do more maintenance to it here if needed to!

Why does the inside of the IC need cleaning? Doesn't the air going through the IC pass through the air filter?
The inside needs to be cleaned also so any oil from the build process and if any got in from not having catch cans installed. Yes the air goes through a filter but if no catch cans or even with catch cans you can get a little amount of oil coating the inside of the I.C and have a film that won't let the air cool down to where it could be. Doing both just ensures that it is totally clean and running at optimum performance.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the generous offer Forte5..

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
No problem bro! Ever need any help just hit me up and we can set something up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts