Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read just about everything I can find about this for our car and the Veloster but I'm still unsure about upgrading my hotpipe.
I've seen great dyno results and awful dyno results.
For tuned guys it seems like it helps a lot.
But for those untuned it's hard to tell with what's out there.

So being untuned is it worth it? Do iat's drop much? does boost increase? Is boost actually more stable? Does anyone else have dyno or drag strip evidence of its worth?

I know this has been discussed a lot but there's some confusing stuff mixed in with all of the good reviews.

Here's the bad -http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/845-motorsports/7124-stock-charge-pipe-upgrade.html

And the good -http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/xenon-element/12240-orhp-oem-replacement-hot-pipe.html

·
Registered
192 Posts
To continue the hotpipe discussion in a better spot I'll move our convo here. I looked at both and noticed the one from X has a heat sink on it and is 2" OD and does away with all connectors. The 845 motorsports one looks like it may still utilize some rubber connectors? In the thread it looks different than the one pictured on Thier website. Either way the 845 is a 2.25 inch piece so it potentially has more flow capability. However matched to turbo size a 2" hotpipe with no rubber connectors etc may just flow better, plus the heat sink would help.

Either should provide a drop in AITs and a slight uptick in flow rate. As we all see these cars can respond differently to the same mods at times, and there is some small differences in the two pipes. Personally even without a big hp gain, the lack of flexing you get with the stock pipe will make boost less peaky and choppy. Especially useful on an automatic I imagine. The drop in AITs will also help.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Its a good option if you don't plan to get an intercooler . if you do eventually plan to get and intercooler don't bother . What it does is cut restriction and allows a more constant Feed of air. the rubber hoses expand and this creates a sort of lag . I have to say one thing about using VT forums as a review source . One there a a shit load of trolls , also what works and does't for their cars is not the case for use .

Why that is, is sort of speculation but the forte takes mods better. I was informed we do not run the Veloster R software but actually the Ceed software is programmed into the ECM from factory . I found this out when contacting a German tuner and was considering buying the Veloster tuning but he informed me its not the same and would not get the best performance .

So now onto a few things better . the Xenon is no longer available but that heat fin pipe is . If thats what you want Kyle at 845 can add it to the Hot pipe for you it may cost more than the 150$ though . but you will get all the benefits of both. and a res delete which the xenon does not have .

VT guys are hungry and a lot do not know their ass from their elbow and the ones that do would rather bypass the hot pipe mod and go straight to the front mount or understand what the benefits are as where you don't gain much power but do gain turbo efficiency and less lag .

The reason being why the Xenon may have made some more is the charge was cooled down a bit . But I doubt buy much.

Reactions: lephoenix

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a good option if you don't plan to get an intercooler . if you do eventually plan to get and intercooler don't bother . What it does is cut restriction and allows a more constant Feed of air. the rubber hoses expand and this creates a sort of lag . I have to say one thing about using VT forums as a review source . One there a a shit load of trolls , also what works and does't for their cars is not the case for use .

Why that is, is sort of speculation but the forte takes mods better. I was informed we do not run the Veloster R software but actually the Ceed software is programmed into the ECM from factory . I found this out when contacting a German tuner and was considering buying the Veloster tuning but he informed me its not the same and would not get the best performance .

So now onto a few things better . the Xenon is no longer available but that heat fin pipe is . If thats what you want Kyle at 845 can add it to the Hot pipe for you it may cost more than the 150$ though . but you will get all the benefits of both. and a res delete which the xenon does not have .

VT guys are hungry and a lot do not know their ass from their elbow and the ones that do would rather bypass the hot pipe mod and go straight to the front mount or understand what the benefits are as where you don't gain much power but do gain turbo efficiency and less lag .

The reason being why the Xenon may have made some more is the charge was cooled down a bit . But I doubt buy much.
I have found the forums are very hit or miss. I think the Veloster styling attracts an interesting range of people. Lol. I almost bought one though so that's not an insult.

And VERY interesting about the tuning. I had considered looking into if a dealer could flash our ecu with an r spec tune. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth it.

I'm not convinced that finned section does much. I've seen those for years and never heard anything outstanding about them.

I will probably never do an intercooler upgrade unless there's a cheap factory replacement or my warranty runs out and the car is in great shape.

·
Registered
518 Posts
after doing my full diy fmic setup and piping i noticed that their wasn't the sudden jerkyness to it like when it hit boost like in 1st or 2nd gear just normally cruising but still hitting boost down low. i know the bigger ic might of had some of effect but i know going with the bigger piping had to help with that sudden jerkyness when hitting boost on the low end cause there is more volume of piping needing to be filled with air. so after installing the 2.5" piping on cold and hot side i noticed it feel a lot smoother down low and didn't have any jerk to it when getting into boost. and i know aluminum stays colder than what comes on here from factory. i can go do a few hard pulls and my cold pipe feels pretty cool right before my tb. so switching to aluminum as well is a plus. i also have a decent size fmic so that may make a difference with what i just said. just giving my input though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts