Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was shopping for spark plugs.
Decided to buy M45XL to have them ready for tune.
Well, received actually HKS 50003-M45HL.

HL not XL.

There is a tiny difference between them. The ceramic is slightly slimmer and it is 14 mm wrench, not 16 mm as OEM. Otherwise, same heat, same reach, length, and all.

So, shall I stick to them or get them replaced with XL?
I got them for 101 per set, shipped.
Just a hassle to replace them...

What pushed me into this step was, not only to get the tune, the spark plugs having typical symptoms of running too hot. See the picture and look into this post. Long one, but it explains a lot about spark plugs and how then change colour depending on conditions they are running in.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/***-basics-reading-spark-plug***-3063102/

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
As far as we've seen across the Kia and Hyundai line of turbo motors (2.0T and 1.6T) we've been using and our tuner (Lap3/PROSS) has tested and requires us to use the M45XL plugs for tuned vehicles.

I can check with them and ask about these plugs you're trying to use and see if they tested them and if so why they didnt opt to use them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
As far as we've seen across the Kia and Hyundai line of turbo motors (2.0T and 1.6T) we've been using and our tuner (Lap3/PROSS) has tested and requires us to use the M45XL plugs for tuned vehicles.

I can check with them and ask about these plugs you're trying to use and see if they tested them and if so why they didnt opt to use them.
Very nice of you to do that thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to this chart below, all is same but the wrench size. My inspection revealed the ceramic is a bit tinier as well. That is about 1.5 mm in diameter.

Source:
https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/plug/m_series/index.html

It supposed to seal just fine as the bottom is the same. However, I wonder how important is to have snug fit on the ceramic (coil).

Screenshot-2017-10-3 HKS SUPER FIRE RACING (M SERIES).png

1 - 5 of 5 Posts