Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Man, anything can be done... the question is how much time you have and how much money you want to spend.
Can you add compressor on 2.0? Yes, you can.
Can you use 1.6 equipment, well, technically you could, but it will be too small.

Now, the rest of it.
Let's start outside, meaning room in the engine bay. Modifying exhaust, adding intercooler, routing air ducts, equipment (computers), and programming. Not to mention fuel delivery.

Then, inside - would the head take it? Would pistons survive? The most crucial - connecting rods - early 1.6 T GDIs had tendency to bend them.
so many parts may need to be reinforced or replaced...

All in all - you are looking on months of work and probably the result will be very unstable car. Side effect - you will spend thousands of dollars and will never recoup it when selling the car, because the market is very low for such heavily modified car.

Either swap 2.0 T from KIA or Hyundai, or get Forte5 SX, or get a 2.0 T car.

What I would do?
I would get 1.6T GDI and tune it. Nothing else (just KN drop in and HKS spark plugs). It will act very so much like 2.0 T, but with a quicker spool due to twin scroll, while at the top it will be weaker than 2.0 T... but not so much (I mean, after the tune).

Reactions: laneloos

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I personally loved both SXs I had.
Their look, their shape. I should have kept it... but wife did not let me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, anything can be done... the question is how much time you have and how much money you want to spend.
Can you add compressor on 2.0? Yes, you can.
Can you use 1.6 equipment, well, technically you could, but it will be too small.

Now, the rest of it.
Let's start outside, meaning room in the engine bay. Modifying exhaust, adding intercooler, routing air ducts, equipment (computers), and programming. Not to mention fuel delivery.

Then, inside - would the head take it? Would pistons survive? The most crucial - connecting rods - early 1.6 T GDIs had tendency to bend them.
so many parts may need to be reinforced or replaced...

All in all - you are looking on months of work and probably the result will be very unstable car. Side effect - you will spend thousands of dollars and will never recoup it when selling the car, because the market is very low for such heavily modified car.

Either swap 2.0 T from KIA or Hyundai, or get Forte5 SX, or get a 2.0 T car.

What I would do?
I would get 1.6T GDI and tune it. Nothing else (just KN drop in and HKS spark plugs). It will act very so much like 2.0 T, but with a quicker spool due to twin scroll, while at the top it will be weaker than 2.0 T... but not so much (I mean, after the tune).
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I am sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.
I just wanted to be realistic. What good would it be if I told you that can be done and you come back peessed after 6 months and 10k dollars...and it is still not finished.
You know, people swap LS motor into Tesla, or build 1500 HP motor from NA 2.5 5-inline.

Man, if you got time, money, knowledge, and another daily car - go for it. Yet keep in mind - this is KIA. Nothing wrong with KIA, but engines are not as strong as, for example 2.0 T in VW.
Plus support is much smaller.

I am not sure about this iteration of 2.0, but the ones I had in Elantra (2005 and 2009) were quite good. The latter one was relatively fast (back in 2012-2015) and very fuel efficient (with MT). I really liked it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.
I just wanted to be realistic. What good would it be if I told you that can be done and you come back peessed after 6 months and 10k dollars...and it is still not finished.
You know, people swap LS motor into Tesla, or build 1500 HP motor from NA 2.5 5-inline.

Man, if you got time, money, knowledge, and another daily car - go for it. Yet keep in mind - this is KIA. Nothing wrong with KIA, but engines are not as strong as, for example 2.0 T in VW.
Plus support is much smaller.

I am not sure about this iteration of 2.0, but the ones I had in Elantra (2005 and 2009) were quite good. The latter one was relatively fast (back in 2012-2015) and very fuel efficient (with MT). I really liked it.
That information is exactly what I was looking for. You were more than helpful. Thank you so much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts