Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just saw my headlights for the first time at night and I realized they are yellow and an ugly yellow at that I just put in some white Sylvania silverstars thinking it would fix the problem though the light on the road is white the bulbs and look is still yellow. any ideas on how to fix this or make it less yellow! if this was asked or answered in another post sorry I didn't run through the whole list!

Thanks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yep, HUGE debate has been had on here on what to get, but actual HID conversion is the best way to go. That is a bit more involved of an install, but you could go with cheap LED's like me... they look good (match the LED markers nicely) with a slightly better than stock performance, just look for the highest claimed brightness, as they are are all false... My LED's claim 11,000 lumen, which is BS, but the latest LED's do work pretty good, and the built in cutoff over the projectors keeps either option from blinding people. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will jump in and insist LED's suck, but they are definitely not as good as HID but the latest ones aren't bad, simply plug and play, and easy to return free on Amazon for not meeting advertised specs... Remember, when swapping them out. the rear cover doesn't actually keep dust out of the headlights, the bulb seal does already, so i keep those off so the built in fans on the LED's have more airflow.

Edit: THESE ones that aren't too cheap nor too expensive that would be worth trying, they actually cost more on eBay, which is less common than the other way around but I guess it doesn't matter, they look to be the best price/performance

I have THESE and they are OK, especially for the money, but I'd rather try the ones above... for twice the price they seem like they'd be brighter, even more than based on only 1000 claimed lumen difference as they actually have "brand name" chips, which counts quite a bit.

I didn't bother replacing high beams, they are still yellow-brown but barely used.

LAST edit: I wouldn't go any cheaper than THESE for $53... Heck for the price, I'd try these if I was buying now...

·
Registered
309 Posts
When I had hid installed they discovered of the covers were missing. They were also imo just half asking it and left ilthr other one. When I I quite why it wasn't drilled and fed through they said what you said about bulb would wcury prevent dust from going in but the other compartments are jot safe from dust and debris.

I've had a few occasions when I went to wash my car with a power Ozzie and the splash go into the housing. It also cause some condensation so this winter will be interesting.

As far as advice for OP goes I would spend t uh e extra money for actual xenon bulbs and ballasts. It's proved tech and has proved to last longer than led from what I've read.

·
Registered
514 Posts
see my avatar and yes they do match the LEDs too.
my sig has the type of bulbs i use.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I would go two routes: halogen or HID.
I will fight it again - no LED. Not yet. They do not provide good lighting.

See this:

All reviews saying - bright light, brighter than halogen... are pointless without comparison of the light pattern.

Anyway - you can put H11 silverstar or similar to get same or very close light colour.
Then, you can do H9 mod that provides almost 80% more light output, but colour is a bit whiter only.
Or go to H11 HID at 4300 K to get the most, but be street illegal and take the risk if you have road-worthiness inspection.

I got 4300 K HID and I am happy.
I had LED - I was very unhappy (just like the video shows).
I never tried the H9, though, but know a few folks from here and KIAforums who did that and are very happy as well.

And sure enough, a few who did LED were satisfied as well, except those where LED failed in a few months due LED chip burning out (probably overheating or poor quality).

·
Registered
237 Posts
I went with slightly modified 65W H9 bulbs. They are brighter then the stock H11's but probably don't have the look most want. I will move up to 4300k HID's at some point.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would go two routes: halogen or HID.
I will fight it again - no LED. Not yet. They do not provide good lighting.

See this:

All reviews saying - bright light, brighter than halogen... are pointless without comparison of the light pattern.

Anyway - you can put H11 silverstar or similar to get same or very close light colour.
Then, you can do H9 mod that provides almost 80% more light output, but colour is a bit whiter only.
Or go to H11 HID at 4300 K to get the most, but be street illegal and take the risk if you have road-worthiness inspection.

I got 4300 K HID and I am happy.
I had LED - I was very unhappy (just like the video shows).
I never tried the H9, though, but know a few folks from here and KIAforums who did that and are very happy as well.

And sure enough, a few who did LED were satisfied as well, except those where LED failed in a few months due LED chip burning out (probably overheating or poor quality).
To say that LED's in general do not provide good lighting is 100% horse shit. Those Morimoto's are not good, period, my $40 ones are better than those, that is complete garbage... and just because they are overpriced too doesn't mean that's what even average LED's are like now, in fact you need the wide tip bulbs that I always link to... I can guarantee even cheap $40 ones launched this yar and not over a year ago will blow them away, complete generational difference. Cars are coming with them stock now, there's is nothing to wait for any longer. I have no idea what you mean by "pattern", mine are not like that crap one in the video, this proves you are STILL dwelling on the LAST generation products, despite my experience with 2 different models I've tried... But again, you make claim after claim based on on garbage ones you tried, this does not make you an expert. So state your opinion and move on, there is nothing to "fight" about. You made up your mind on crap products but AGAIN, this does NOT make you an expert even when you link to some overpriced crap product comparison.

You are LITERALLY calling me a liar using the words "fight" because of your experience. Not cool and not what people deserve to be treated like here. Have you ever wondered why others here have chosen to completely ignore you?

Proper 2017 LED's are absolutely worth trying, don't let this guy with his year old video and experience from over a year ago fool you, the new ones have zero pattern problems, you just have to make sure to get ones with high brightness ratings.

·
Registered
380 Posts
When I had hid installed they discovered of the covers were missing. They were also imo just half asking it and left ilthr other one. When I I quite why it wasn't drilled and fed through they said what you said about bulb would wcury prevent dust from going in but the other compartments are jot safe from dust and debris.

I've had a few occasions when I went to wash my car with a power Ozzie and the splash go into the housing. It also cause some condensation so this winter will be interesting.

As far as advice for OP goes I would spend t uh e extra money for actual xenon bulbs and ballasts. It's proved tech and has proved to last longer than led from what I've read.
HID's are actually pretty cheap but are a bit more of involved install... you probably would need to drill the cap and use sealant... With LED, the yare plug and play and you just lay the driver w/extra cable length inside the headlight housing and can use the caps during the rainy season or have them off for cooling in the summer.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
To say that LED's in general do not provide good lighting is 100% horse shit. Those Morimoto's are not good, period, my $40 ones are better than those, that is complete garbage... and just because they are overpriced too doesn't mean that's what even average LED's are like now, in fact you need the wide tip bulbs that I always link to... I can guarantee even cheap $40 ones launched this yar and not over a year ago will blow them away, complete generational difference. Cars are coming with them stock now, there's is nothing to wait for any longer. I have no idea what you mean by "pattern", mine are not like that crap one in the video, this proves you are STILL dwelling on the LAST generation products, despite my experience with 2 different models I've tried... But again, you make claim after claim based on on garbage ones you tried, this does not make you an expert. So state your opinion and move on, there is nothing to "fight" about. You made up your mind on crap products but AGAIN, this does NOT make you an expert even when you link to some overpriced crap product comparison.

You are LITERALLY calling me a liar using the words "fight" because of your experience. Not cool and not what people deserve to be treated like here. Have you ever wondered why others here have chosen to completely ignore you?

Proper 2017 LED's are absolutely worth trying, don't let this guy with his year old video and experience from over a year ago fool you, the new ones have zero pattern problems, you just have to make sure to get ones with high brightness ratings.
My dear friend.
Why are you taking everything so personally?
I am just saying there are hundreds of users who say LED is awesome. Yes, you are one of them and that's OK. I am not saying you are not telling the truth.
And I am not saying all of them are not saying what they see is a lie either.

I could say, however, that they are uneducated when it comes to lighting. And I am sure if they were to take pictures as they supposed to (compare halogen light pattern to LED) they would see some details that may not seem obvious when simply looking into very shiny, slightly bluish LED headlight. By stating that everyone would say - LED is much better than halogen. And better than HID as there is no startup/warmup time.

I would, though, refrain from saying that Morimoto is garbage. It is well known brand with very good products. Look into hidplanet.com for instance.

Finally, I completely agree that modern cars are LED equipped. However, take into consideration how they are made. Those are multi chip, multi lens leds with quite large heatsinks. It is far more advanced technology than simple plug and play.

Anyway, I am not debating with you. I was answering the question that OP posted here.
I provided my answer, you did too.

However, I will, as I promised, test your setup once I get a bit more time.
I want to prove myself wrong. Still, in my opinion, any LED conversion defeats optics of the projector assembly, but maybe there is something what I do not know yet. The light source is out of place what will result in poor performance of the headlight as the light will not be reflected as designed.

If you chose to ignore me, as others did, let it be. It would be nice to know who they are, though. Cheers to them.

Kopernik was also ignored... although I am nowhere near his knowledge. lol
Oh, it is Copernicus in this language.

EDIT.
I was looking for an OEM LED setup.
I think this site is a good source.

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Headlamp

Some pictures attached/quoted.
A really good read for those who want to understand why some conversions are not good.
Look especially to light distribution (reflections of the light from the light source) and then imagine what happens when the original setup (say halogen) is replaced with LED stalk.

Look on this one (projector).

All parts of the light are needed, not just one side of the light bulb.

Headlight_projector_schematic.png

LED.
OEM LED is multi chip, so no way to convert it into HID or vice versa.

LED_Headlamp_inside.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts

When it comes to HIDs there are reasons why some are more expensive. The quality of the salts, the gases, the glass, the ballast, the igniter, even the wiring in some cases. Morimoto are expensive in comparison to cheap HIDs cause most of the cheap ones do not protect the light assembly from UV. This causes oxidation on the INSIDE if the lense assembly. And many of the ballasts in the cheap kits are not properly rated.

So now I will agree with you about LED technology getting better at a rapid rate. But remember when the best HIDs were an assembly of 7 small HIDs on the old Q45? Technology advances and we will get there. Some of us know there are standardized tests they use for light distribution, color etc and we like to use those to base our decision on.

In the end please be respectful and let's learn from each other and not turn this into a passing match.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts