Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
good question cause i've seen spots on older cars that just dont erase even when rubbing on it hard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The only way if they dont come off with normal washing is to acid wash you glass, many videos out there to show how to remove hard water damage to glass with acid wash.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You don't need any types of acid. Go to any glass store and get some micro-fine pumice. It looks like baby powder it's so fine. It will INSTANTLY grind off water spots (hard minerals) from glass and UNLIKE acid, it won't damage the paint. Of course you don't rub it on the paint, you just rub the wet glass with cloth or sponge and the water spots are GONE. No hard pressure, just dry the glass off to see how you've made progress - very safe and simple.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Your approach is wrong.

The first question to ask is: WHAT is the hard water spot?

Answer.
It is a white substance, kind of like powder, that remains after washing a car.
They are made of (mainly) Calcium and Magnesium carbonates.

The next question is: HOW to remove it?

Answer.
First do not let them to be there... but once created, the LAST thing you want to to is to scrub. Avoid any type of textiles that would scrub them. You want to dissolve them.
How to dissolve them? Let the rain take care of it. Or take your car to a car wash.
As one said - you could use acid. Acid will dissolve them.

Of course, I am not asking you to pour sulfuric acid on your car, but a solution of vinegar (1 part of vinegar and 4 parts of distilled water) will do the job. And baking soda to neutralize it.
The problem is that acid MIGHT damage paint. It not supposed to as acid rains are much stronger, but still.

Vinegar is acetic acid which but acids strength is a weak acid.
Acid rain consists of sulfuric IV and sulfuric VI in addition to nitric acids... and those are way stronger (let's just say they destroy and eat metals much faster, including copper, silver, gold - with this one a mixture of nitric V and sulfuric VI - yet it is NOT in the acid rain, so no worries...).

My approach. I also suffer from hard water.

So, if I wash my car myself, I have two ways.

1. When washing keep the car moist all the time. Do not let water to dry up. Best is cloudy day. No wind. And when I am done, final rinse. Then microfiber and wipe it off. I also use "wet wax", spray on wet and wipe. Hence, I want the car to remain wet.
OR
2. As above, keep the car moist, but when done rinse it using a spray bottle with demineralized, or distilled water. You can get them at Walmart or so. They cost about 1 USD per gallon. About 1.5 gallon per wash. Find them in "baby" section.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are acid wash kits with neutralizer for paint and clear coat, I used to use it on trucks all the time in 55 gal drums with a dual nozzle pressure washer never had to brush or scrub, just spray it on and let sit for 2 min. and hit it with the neutralizer , nothing cleans better. just get the right stuff and follow the directions!!!! this was 20 years ago and its probly outlawed by now because it worked. Never put any type of abrasive on glass, maybe for your shower doors its fine but not on optic auto glass.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The micro-fine pumice doesn't scratch automotive glass or household glass. It's just that simple. Five cents worth of the stuff gently removes the water minerals from auto glass, no damage to paint and no need to play "vinegar-chemist".

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The micro-fine pumice doesn't scratch automotive glass or household glass. It's just that simple. Five cents worth of the stuff gently removes the water minerals from auto glass, no damage to paint and no need to play "vinegar-chemist".
You missed the point.

I did not say a word about pumice and I cannot state whether it does or does not scratch paint or glass. The calcium deposits do.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
You missed the point. I wasn't referring to your lack of terms or inclusion of terms.
I stand corrected.
Pumice is an abrasive material. It is volcanic ash.
It is very mild, yet it is abrasive.

And depending on the grade you can really scratch the surface.

Reference.

Pumice Stone Powder Products for Hand Cleaners, Facial & Foot Scrubs

·
Registered
827 Posts
I stand corrected.
Pumice is an abrasive material. It is volcanic ash.
It is very mild, yet it is abrasive.

And depending on the grade you can really scratch the surface.

Reference.

Pumice Stone Powder Products for Hand Cleaners, Facial & Foot Scrubs
Who'd of guessed it - a hyperlink in your reply.
I've arranged for the OP to get a free sample of the correct pumice polishing powder to safely remove the water spots on his automotive glass - OR he can play vinegar chemist............OR try the acid approach.............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts