Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife got tired of the money pit the Audi was, as much as I liked it, and it's incredible AWD, it was time to go... I got this as a "friend" deal knowing the sales manager, I thought I was going to maybe get a '17 LX but all the rebates made this '16 SX affordable for me. I'm sure they were happy to sell this SX manual, it had sat for almost a full year, they had to jump start it! VERY happy to have a rare-ish car you don't see often! :) It has no option packages, the only thing I don't like is the factory stereo, but that will have to wait. I don't feel like spending $1300 on the only decent direct plug and play replacement right now. Unless you guys have tips here too, like you know if any of the cheap aftermarket ones in the $300 range you see for other '14+ Kia's work well, let me know. I don't mind just using Waze off my phone with my CD slot mag mount for nav... Also, factory headlights aren't great, but looks like any decent HID kit should be fine to take care of that with the projectors already built in. Any suggestions on a kit would be nice

Anyway, I know how Kia is so reliable but also not the best handling so I want to address that. Don't want to spend tons of cash right away but I already see Tork collars or other subframe reinforcements, rear torsion bar, etc. Any tips on what to start with, what order, etc to make it handle closer to a GTI would be great. Tork collars to address steering wander sounds like is great to start with. Also looking at a tune and supporting mods. I'm within driving distance of Tork, so probably going with their tune/package over any other but that will come later. I know I'll have to invest in a spare ECU to avoid warranty issues, so probably will also have to not do a downpipe either either, maybe gut 2nd cat as long it doesn't throw a code and still run halfway clean.

Glad to have found a forum specific to these great little cars!

-Dan
New Forte SX.jpg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Welcome! Car looks great! I also grabbed a leftover 16 SX a little while back.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! Car looks great! I also grabbed a leftover 16 SX a little while back.
Ah, I see your signature, I'm a month opposite on each, build date of 3/16, bought 3/17... Any tips on any of my questions? You do any mods yet?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ah, I see your signature, I'm a month opposite on each, build date of 3/16, bought 3/17... Any tips on any of my questions? You do any mods yet?
So far I've just done a K&N drop in filter and some higher watt low beam bulbs, pulled off the blow off valve hose for that nice pssshhh sound. Also did a few cosmetic mods, stubby antenna, blacked out wheel center caps, Plasti dip front & rear badges. I want some type of exhaust mod but I'm not sure what yet, I may just gut the second cat converter. The Tork collars sound like a good mod. I'm ok with power level right now, I only run 91 octane gas and it pulls pretty good. I just turned 1k miles and I did a spill & fill of the factory fill oil with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So far I've just done a K&N drop in filter and some higher watt low beam bulbs, pulled off the blow off valve hose for that nice pssshhh sound. Also did a few cosmetic mods, stubby antenna, blacked out wheel center caps, Plasti dip front & rear badges. I want some type of exhaust mod but I'm not sure what yet, I may just gut the second cat converter. The Tork collars sound like a good mod. I'm ok with power level right now, I only run 91 octane gas and it pulls pretty good. I just turned 1k miles and I did a spill & fill of the factory fill oil with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.
Good to know, I'm thinking stubby antenna too, the factory one is ugly. :) I'm going to research exhaust options and the turbo muffler delete and other little mods there too. I'm still on my first tank of gas, I'm assuming the dealer certainly put Regular in, but I'll be running 92 going forward, yes, we have a weird 'tweener octane for premium here in Oregon... Dealer says they will cover my first oil change at 3k miles, but I think I'll do my first drain and fill with full synthetic at 1k also and not even do the free 3k one if they won't use full synthetic... Thanks for the ideas!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Dan!

Welcome to the forums! Great choice in color BTW ;)

As for mods you're looking for let me suggest a few for you!

Ultra Racing Front Strut Tower Bar and rear sway bar will definitely help with the handling aspect of the F5
https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/ur-2nd-gen-forte-fstb

We do carry a great CAI option from Injen
https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/kia-forte-14-15-injen-intake-systems

if you're not looking to go the intake route I'd recommend a K&N reusable performance filter
https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/kia-k-n-replacement-panel-air-filter

As for an HID kit I highly recommend the Morimoto complete HID kit, by far one of the best kits on the market and comes complete with a 5-year warranty!
https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/trs-hid-kits

If you have any questions about these mods or any I did not mention please feel free to reach out to me directly! [email protected]

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome aboard!
Thanks, we have the same exact car, cool.. You do any mods?

Dan!

Welcome to the forums! Great choice in color BTW ;)

As for mods you're looking for let me suggest a few for you!

Ultra Racing Front Strut Tower Bar and rear sway bar will definitely help with the handling aspect of the F5
https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/ur-2nd-gen-forte-fstb

We do carry a great CAI option from Injen
https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/kia-forte-14-15-injen-intake-systems

if you're not looking to go the intake route I'd recommend a K&N reusable performance filter
https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/kia-k-n-replacement-panel-air-filter

As for an HID kit I highly recommend the Morimoto complete HID kit, by far one of the best kits on the market and comes complete with a 5-year warranty!
https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/trs-hid-kits

If you have any questions about these mods or any I did not mention please feel free to reach out to me directly! [email protected]

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums
Hey Paul, I didn't have a "choice" in color since it was the only SX they had, but I'm happy with it for sure. :)

Thanks for the tips on the mods, I'll be basically using you sponsors here for just about all my mods and I've heard good things about Morimoto kit too so I'll be looking into that!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK, so MAJOR bummer just happened... I was letting my friend drive it and when he was accelerating onto the freeway he revved it up to less than 6000, shifted and when he floored the gas after the shift, it blew the bypass valve or something! It has no power and makes a constant BOV sound. :( I took it straight in to the dealer and they were very surprised! They said it will be covered of course and gave me a loaner Soul... Now I'm even more upset as this Soul has better steering feel and better sounding radio! WTH? :(

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Welcome! Give your car time to break in and she will wake up more. Mine didn't come to life till around 5-7k miles.

As for mods there is a good amount for us. Exhaust you can get through 845 Motorsports and I think 6th element is making theirs soon to. Most just do a custom setup. You can also get the down pipe from tork Motorsports or from 845.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Forgot to mention the F5 a rear torsion bar is a must have along with the trunk brace. Then get the 2,4,6 point lower bar and the strut. You can get all that from evilla Motorsports. Tork collars work amazing but the 16 does have a slight change that tork is trying to address.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: danbfree

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome! Give your car time to break in and she will wake up more. Mine didn't come to life till around 5-7k miles.

As for mods there is a good amount for us. Exhaust you can get through 845 Motorsports and I think 6th element is making theirs soon to. Most just do a custom setup. You can also get the down pipe from tork Motorsports or from 845.
No, definitely broke something, car pulled hard then only wooshing sound and no boost, weird I got no CEL... Anyway, they gave me the loaner on the spot, it was borderline dangerous to drive with zero boost, like having a 1.0 3-cyl NA motor trying to pull 3200 pounds...

Anyway, i'm sure it was just the bypass valve or maybe even something simpler like a hose, I'm not giving up on this car yet.. What are the things I can do to help with steering accuracy and feel? Tork collars? And is this like most turbo cars with the stock downpipe being the one thing by far the most restrictive? I want to do the tune to help with drivability as well, like Tork says, it has bad throttle response and weird surge.. is it supposed to rev match automatically?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to mention the F5 a rear torsion bar is a must have along with the trunk brace. Then get the 2,4,6 point lower bar and the strut. You can get all that from evilla Motorsports. Tork collars work amazing but the 16 does have a slight change that tork is trying to address.
I definitely don't want to do a trunk brace unless it comes on and off easily for cargo utility reasons, does the rear torsion bar without strut brace help a lot along with the Tork collars or 2,4,6 point bars? Are Tork collars just the competing product, like a 4 point, or different all together?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey!! Welcome aboard!

If you have facebook, feel free to join the 2nd Gen group (most of the times instant responses and friendly bunch)!

Also, if you want to do any cosmetic mods, check out The Fortes Forte! I run it, and its totally devoted to the Forte :)

AND! We have the same car! SWP 16, 6 Speed !! I love mine, it just turned 42000 kms and I bought it with 9 km in December 2015!!

With the trunk brace, its hidden under your floor in the trunk, so it wont interfere with anything!

Also, you may want to consider the Luxon rear torsion bar. Its a bit more forgiving if your roads are rough.

Finally, you likely blew a hose... I blew my resonator pipe once, and it was awful! But I fixed it myself lol.

Watch for weird clunking noises when in neutral... My transmission is being replaced this week... Likely a throwout bearing.

- Jared

·
Registered
633 Posts
Performance wise I'm mostly stock. I've just added catch cans and did the BPV to atmosphere mod, swapped to MT-85 tranny fluid, and did the CDV delete.

Cosmetic I've just swapped to LED lights, 20% window tint, window visors.

This summer I'll be fiddling around with the audio, contemplating about getting a 6th SRI, and a Mazda 3 lip.

I have no plans to tune.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey!! Welcome aboard!

If you have facebook, feel free to join the 2nd Gen group (most of the times instant responses and friendly bunch)!

Also, if you want to do any cosmetic mods, check out The Fortes Forte! I run it, and its totally devoted to the Forte

AND! We have the same car! SWP 16, 6 Speed !! I love mine, it just turned 42000 kms and I bought it with 9 km in December 2015!!

With the trunk brace, its hidden under your floor in the trunk, so it wont interfere with anything!

Also, you may want to consider the Luxon rear torsion bar. Its a bit more forgiving if your roads are rough.

Finally, you likely blew a hose... I blew my resonator pipe once, and it was awful! But I fixed it myself lol.

Watch for weird clunking noises when in neutral... My transmission is being replaced this week... Likely a throwout bearing.

- Jared
Thanks for all the tips Jared! I'll look into some of this stuff!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Performance wise I'm mostly stock. I've just added catch cans and did the BPV to atmosphere mod, swapped to MT-85 tranny fluid, and did the CDV delete.

Cosmetic I've just swapped to LED lights, 20% window tint, window visors.

This summer I'll be fiddling around with the audio, contemplating about getting a 6th SRI, and a Mazda 3 lip.

I have no plans to tune.
Good deal, I think I'm going to LED lights as one of the first things myself, the halogen are terrible... Also first I've heard about swapping gear oil, I'll look into those other mods like changing to straight pipe instead of resonated IC as well, thanks.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Good deal, I think I'm going to LED lights as one of the first things myself, the halogen are terrible... Also first I've heard about swapping gear oil, I'll look into those other mods like changing to straight pipe instead of resonated IC as well, thanks.
NO, that's a big fat NO. LED are not the choice... I wish it was, but still this technology falls behind. I mean, for an easy plug and play. OEM LED is great, but putting two or three chip LED into halogen projector will cause a lot of trouble.
See comparison here:
LED or HID or OEM halogen? Comparison/review. 9012: Morimoto LED 2Stroke.
I run HID and could not be better.
OK, it could. With a full retro using a good quality bi-xenon projector.

This question was asked here:
http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/22-kia-forte-turbo-electronics/2873-hid-led-headlights.html

As for LED inside - that's a big YES. :)
I must redo my trunk lights though... as that is a great improvement.

No, definitely broke something, car pulled hard then only wooshing sound and no boost, weird I got no CEL... Anyway, they gave me the loaner on the spot, it was borderline dangerous to drive with zero boost, like having a 1.0 3-cyl NA motor trying to pull 3200 pounds...
Yes, he did. Most likely hose fell off or it blew BOV membrane.
Sometimes it happens.

If it is motor - well, you will get a new one.

Next time do not let a virgin engine to rev this much.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
NO, that's a big fat NO. LED are not the choice... I wish it was, but still this technology falls behind. I mean, for an easy plug and play. OEM LED is great, but putting two or three chip LED into halogen projector will cause a lot of trouble.
See comparison here:
LED or HID or OEM halogen? Comparison/review. 9012: Morimoto LED 2Stroke.
I run HID and could not be better.
OK, it could. With a full retro using a good quality bi-xenon projector.

This question was asked here:
http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/22-kia-forte-turbo-electronics/2873-hid-led-headlights.html

As for LED inside - that's a big YES. :)
I must redo my trunk lights though... as that is a great improvement.

Yes, he did. Most likely hose fell off or it blew BOV membrane.
Sometimes it happens.

If it is motor - well, you will get a new one.

Next time do not let a virgin engine to rev this much.
Not sure which LED's you tried but obviously not the right ones, there are PLENTY of VERY bright ones out there that are well over 4000lm. I'm looking at these with Cree XHP50 chip, 4800 lumens each bulb: https://smile.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight-Conversion-9600lm-Warranty/dp/B01LCE19OI I'm just worried about rear clearance for the cap cover...

And yes, my friend feels terrible, I can't go into details what he actually did publicly, but I'll just say he's the type that likes rev dump the clutch on his old DSM setup... I'm 99.9% sure it's the bypass valve/it's membrane.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Not sure which LED's you tried but obviously not the right ones, there are PLENTY of VERY bright ones out there that are well over 4000lm. I'm looking at these with Cree XHP50 chip, 4800 lumens each bulb:
Oh man.... it is nothing about brightness. It is all about ability of the projector to use this light.
Look closely on the LED chips, their location and how they are situated on the stack. Then, look on halogen light bulb or HID lamp. The position of filament in halogen is very critical. A small movement of it will cause huge distortion of the light pattern and performance drops like crazy.

Besides, the seller is telling lies...
9600 lm? Impossible for this chip. No matter what driver you get.
This chip, at it's max can produce "barely" 1200 lm. Hence, one side will get 2400 lm. And that is the best case scenario where you have the best chip grade, awesome cooling, and super efficient driver. Otherwise, if you happen to get the cheap one, and poor cooling, it drops to 680 lm per chip.

See the specs yourself.
http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...d-Modules/XLamp/Data-and-Binning/ds-XHP50.pdf

There is a reason why all light bulbs must pass very strict inspection and why their specs are so tight.
The big gap you add between the LED chips is that what kills the LED.
Otherwise, if the chips were attached one to another providing 360 degree light - well, it would be awesome.

If you want to learn yourself - keep halogen in one side and put LED into the other one. Compare, then remove halogen and put HID. Then you will tell me.

And I completely agree. There are plenty of high power LED chips. However, in order to use this light you need a special reflector design. Not any.
LED is not ready for easy retrofit.

Reactions: danbfree
1 - 20 of 35 Posts