Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 2nd Gen Forte SX, we have the ever so annoying H11B fog light bulbs. I’ve been wanting to replace my factory Halogen bulbs with LEDs, but nobody makes H11B LED replacement bulbs. I did some Googling, and someone over at the ForteForums covered the headlights on his first gen Koup from H11B to H11.

Knowing that the conversion is possible, I set out to put LEDs in my Fog lights.

Here’s what you will need. (Links if I purchased online)

• 2 H11 Pig tails - Any auto store will cary these, but I got mine on Amazon for about half the cost of the ones at AutoZone. (Link http://a.co/iJLRlvs)
  • 4 Small Spade connectors
  • Some Heat Shrink tubing
  • Electrical Tape
  • 2 H11 LED bulbs. - This is completely up to you, but I wanted to be able to replace the dust cover, so I went with the style of bulbs that have the have a spreadable heatsink. It’s a very tight fit, but I got the dust cover back on with these. (Link http://a.co/4iycOG1)

Step 1.

Create the adapter harness.

Strip the ends of the leads away and attach the spade connectors. Use some heat shrink tubing to help keep any moisture out.

I added an additional heat shrink tubing to keep both wires together.

Step 2.
Remove bumper cover. (There are write ups on how to do this on the forums)

Step 3.
Remove one (or both) of the foglight housings from the bumper cover. There are 4 phillips head screws that hold it on.

Step 4.
Remove the dust cover and then light bulb by twisting it.

Step 5.

Now that the bulb is removed, take out the three screws and pull the mounting plate and harness out the housing, next we will be separating the harness from the plastic mounting plate.

Step 6.
There is a small tab at the top of the plug that keeps the plug in place, you will need to carefully pry upwards while you pry outwards on the adapter. Once separated, place the mounting bracket aside for now.

Step 7.

Stick the spade adapters in the socket as shown. Then wrap in electrical tape to hold in place. Note, I placed the red lead into the blue socket, but I am not positive if this is the positive lead. My Bulbs worked this way.

Step 8.

If you look into the housing, you will notice that there is more space beside the circuit board on one side. Stick the excess cables into the side with less space.

Plug the LED Module in and place the module into the housing next to the circuit board.

Step 9.

Replace the bulb mounting plate.

Place the bulb into the housing and plug it in.

Tuck the remaining cable and heatsink into the housing.

Now is a good time to plug housing into the car and test to make sure everything works.

Step 10. Re-Assemble

I had to adjust the aim of the fog light to get the dust cover on, even then, it was still a very, very tight fit… but it did fit.

Put the foglight housing back on to the bumper, and put the cover back on the car.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The problem isn't with the OEMs (other than them being halogen), it's the fact that they are H11B. Regular H11B Halogen bulbs are available, but if you want anything else, you are going to have a hard time finding anything, and what do you find usually isn't from a name brand, so the quality is questionable. By being able to use H11 bulbs, your range of options greatly expands.

Here is a picture of just the fog lights. I unplugged the headlight bulbs.
IMG_0875.jpg

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Great write up. Good details.

However, the light pattern is terrible. The shadows are very bad.
That is the reason LED is still not a good choice.

The only good thing about it is that you get colour match.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You could drive in a snowstorm with that output! The project isn't for rookies though, but you did a good job. Do you need to aim and align the foglights to correct and even that projection pattern?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because of the extremely tight fit, I can't really adjust the lights much, and yeah the dark sports suck in the fog lights, but with the headlights you will get plenty of road being lit up. I want to get another set for the low beams, and then I'll post a pick of the LED Fogs and Low Beams.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have pictures of the H11B LEDs? The product page does not have pictures of the H11B bulbs.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
All LED will get the shadow. Period.
Even HIDs get the shadows...
Unless you get one that will have omni directional LED chip.

I tried and got very disappointed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
All LED will get the shadow. Period.
Even HIDs get the shadows...
Unless you get one that will have omni directional LED chip.

I tried and got very disappointed.
There are many, many, LED's out there, many far better than others... Many DO have 360 degree light output, it just may take some research to find the right ones.. I know that this post is a month old and we have other threads going for THAT debate though, but it looks like fog lights are actually an H8, is that correct? Going off the chart here: Kia replacement bulb guide Also, CarID shows they are H8, why is everyone talking about H11B ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
There are many, many, LED's out there, many far better than others... Many DO have 360 degree light output, it just may take some research to find the right ones.. I know that this post is a month old and we have other threads going for THAT debate though, but it looks like fog lights are actually an H8, is that correct? Going off the chart here: Kia replacement bulb guide Also, CarID shows they are H8, why is everyone talking about H11B ?
The SX has H11b, the LX and EX models hve H8's. I have a 16 LX and a 16 SX to compare.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The SX has H11b, the LX and EX models hve H8's. I have a 16 LX and a 16 SX to compare.
That's weird, as I even made sure to select the SX trim at CarID but thanks for confirming! Now, we'll see how the cheap LED's I got for headlights work out as they arrive today... I think I did my research and got a newer model with reviews from those with projectors lenses saying they work great, but again, we'll have to see! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's weird, as I even made sure to select the SX trim at CarID but thanks for confirming! Now, we'll see how the cheap LED's I got for headlights work out as they arrive today... I think I did my research and got a newer model with reviews from those with projectors lenses saying they work great, but again, we'll have to see! :)
My daughter bought my 6 month old 2016 Forte 5 LX which allowed me to buy my 2016 Forte 5 SX. I changed the factory H8 bulbs in the LX to H11's when I had the car. Now that my SX has the H11b bulbs I'm trying to decide what kind of bulbs I want to go with in the fog lights. I would like a colored bulb that makes the LED ring around the fog lights stand out as much as possible as I like the way the LED ring looks. I am considering going with either a yellow or if available blue H11b bulb. I have a H9 65 watt bulbs in the low beams already and they put out quite a bit more light over the stock H11 bulbs. I will also wire the fog lights to come on at any time using the stock fog light switch.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My daughter bought my 6 month old 2016 Forte 5 LX which allowed me to buy my 2016 Forte 5 SX. I changed the factory H8 bulbs in the LX to H11's when I had the car. Now that my SX has the H11b bulbs I'm trying to decide what kind of bulbs I want to go with in the fog lights. I would like a colored bulb that makes the LED ring around the fog lights stand out as much as possible as I like the way the LED ring looks. I am considering going with either a yellow or if available blue H11b bulb. I have a H9 65 watt bulbs in the low beams already and they put out quite a bit more light over the stock H11 bulbs. I will also wire the fog lights to come on at any time using the stock fog light switch.
Yellow (3000k) is definitely best for actually penetrating fog and those ones I linked to right above your post have great reviews and are only $50... but if you really want more bright white with a slight blue tinge the 6000k is available for $50 too.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Yellow (3000k) is definitely best for actually penetrating fog and those ones I linked to right above your post have great reviews and are only $50... but if you really want more bright white with a slight blue tinge the 6000k is available for $50 too.
Not quite. It is not just yellow...
The old days, the coating on the fog lights that I think French introduced was a special hue of yellow and is called selective yellow.
3000 K mimics, very poorly, this idea.

The coating on the headlights (it was NOT the light bulb!!) had very defined colour that really allowed for better visibility on fog.
However, it was when the headlights were OFF.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts