Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I ordered the RGB LED kit off K5 Optima Store and decided to install them today. I referenced my user manual for the 2016 Forte 5 SX and it states that the headlight lowbeam is an H11 bulb. Perfect, that's what I ordered.

I popped the hood and removed the dust cover on the back of the light to find this chunky metal box which looks like it is held in place by a couple of screws. While I felt confident that I could complete this solo like every other project on my car my world has been shattered and I'm starting to think I maybe have the wrong bulb... I have searched the internet for videos of a 2016 sx bulb change and can't seem to find anything current.

Can someone please confirm that the H11 is in fact the right headlight lowbeam for a 2016 Forte 5 SX? Do I just need to be patient and remove my headlight to access the back and remove this mystery box and it's screws?

I feel defeated, someone please pick me up with some good news. If this is the right bulb style and I have to take the headlight out, I'll do a video or photos because apparently no one has.

Thanks,

Brian.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Reactions: Gnarkill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok, so I ordered the RGB LED kit off K5 Optima Store and decided to install them today. I referenced my user manual for the 2016 Forte 5 SX and it states that the headlight lowbeam is an H11 bulb. Perfect, that's what I ordered.

I popped the hood and removed the dust cover on the back of the light to find this chunky metal box which looks like it is held in place by a couple of screws. While I felt confident that I could complete this solo like every other project on my car my world has been shattered and I'm starting to think I maybe have the wrong bulb... I have searched the internet for videos of a 2016 sx bulb change and can't seem to find anything current.

Can someone please confirm that the H11 is in fact the right headlight lowbeam for a 2016 Forte 5 SX? Do I just need to be patient and remove my headlight to access the back and remove this mystery box and it's screws?

I feel defeated, someone please pick me up with some good news. If this is the right bulb style and I have to take the headlight out, I'll do a video or photos because apparently no one has.

Thanks,

Brian.
Do you have factory Hid or halogens?
If halogen then h11 is correct. Just twist old bulb and remove it. Putting new with plastic ring is hard, plastic is thicker than metal ring on normal bulb, but doable.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... mine has H11 for sure and H11b for fogs.

So you got something like that?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-17-18-...ash=item1a480cb553:g:Wf8AAOSwHC9anZxR&vxp=mtr

View attachment 15322
Yeah, nailed it. That's exactly what I have... So I'm guessing if I have the HID then these won't be fitting?...

https://www.k5optimastore.com/colle...cts/rgb-color-changing-headlight-foglight-kit

Strange too, since the User Manual says H11. I guess it's just generic. I had to strip some wires to test it with my battery, and they probably can't be returned now...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have factory Hid or halogens?

HID... Just learned an expensive lesson...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Yeah, nailed it. That's exactly what I have... So I'm guessing if I have the HID then these won't be fitting?...

Strange too, since the User Manual says H11. I guess it's just generic. I had to strip some wires to test it with my battery, and they probably can't be returned now...
Manual covers both - HID and H11 (it should say somewhere D8S, if I recall correctly the type.
As for return - you need to ask Paul.

And no, they will not fit.
On my personal take... while it is a great show off mod, you would not be happy with its performance. Even KIA low power HID (25 W comparing to old time standard 35 W) with maybe 2000 lm will be superior comparing to RGB LED. Maybe some type of LED would provide better light distribution and intensity, but it should be one colour designation. RGB has a few chips that produce different colours. As a result of mixing light you get several hues. So overall each of them will be lower power... same for white.

But a thought.
Since you cannot use it for low beam, how about you put it into fog light?
It would require some tiny mod of the H11b connector, but it is minor.
H11b has same socket as H11, so it would fit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But a thought.
Since you cannot use it for low beam, how about you put it into fog light?
It would require some tiny mod of the H11b connector, but it is minor.
Yeah, that would work too. I was kinda thinking after ordering them that I should have done fogs instead. If the connector change is just a snip and some heat shrink I might do that instead.

Anywhere you recommend looking for a H11b connector?

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even KIA low power HID (25 W comparing to old time standard 35 W) with maybe 2000 lm will be superior comparing to RGB LED.
This was helpful too. I don't know too much about lights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, that would work too. I was kinda thinking after ordering them that I should have done fogs instead. If the connector change is just a snip and some heat shrink I might do that instead.

Anywhere you recommend looking for a H11b connector?

Appreciate the help!
Just a piggy back connector. Google "h11b to h11"

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
H11b is so called idiot-proof light bulb. You cannot, without really trying hard, install it wrong way yet still make the light bulb to light up.
Like H11, or many others, can be put upside down, or twisted - as a result you get weird light pattern.

H11b has a connector build in to the socket that forces you to insert the light bulb correctly and lock it in place. Once you do it you will know.

The best way would be to remove the connector from housing, insert two spades (terminals) and enclose it. Maybe electrical tape wrap. The problem I found was that if there is enough vibration it has tendency to slide out if not secured. But for about 2 years of having this in 2007 Rondo (then I built a harness) I did not have any problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts