Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should go in the purchase section, or this section, it was a toss-up to me.

I was fishing around and saw the 2017 Elantra sedan has a 1.6t model, 201 HP. Also a 1.4 Eco, both those are equipped with the 7 DCT so I guess H/K are running full tilt with the 7-speed.

I drove a 2016 Elantra GT a week or two ago, nice car. I'd guess the GT will also get these motors, but time will tell. I don't want a sedan, I want a hatch.

The GT has more buttons and a less clear, simple set of controls on the non-dual-zone optioned car. I prefer the KIA HVAC control system, it's clear, simple, and I've had it on three cars now.

The GT has tan upholstery available. For 2017, the Forte5 (no data on Coup yet, but I want four doors) like the Model T, offers any color upholstery as long as it's black.
I really don't like the way KIA has set up optioning on the 2017, prefer the 2016 system. But they didn't ask.
And please, people. Black or black upholstery? Lighten up.

2017 Kia Forte5: A Compact Car That's Up for Anything

Build & Price | 2016 Kia Forte5 Hatchback

I'm not having a great time with my search for an F5t. KIA may have pushed me over to the H side of the coin, I'll see. There's one KIA and two H dealers within about 15 miles. The H guy in Perrysburg seems pretty nice. We'll see when the rubber meets the road.

Meanwhile the search continues.

A little background. Cutting to the chase, I leased a 2016 Challenger SXT+ about a month ago. I got a pretty good deal on the lease, about 268/mo for 25 months @ 10,000 miles/year. But after getting familiar with the car, I just didn't like it. So it's out on Swapalease and I'm going to list it at CarGurus too, if I can offer a lease OR purchase (26G on a 34 sticker). At any rate, I've wanted a Chally for several years. I had a bad run with a Charger I bought instead in 2013 and dumped it for my 2015 Soul which has been a great car but I want something tighter, quicker, and sharper-handling.
I had almost resigned myself to another 2.0 Nu with the 6A when I got stuck behind a not-conscious nincompoop aiming an old Rio sedan merging onto the expressway today, and then I thought, "Crap. I really DO need the zing that the turbo has." So I'm still firmly in the Gamma t camp.

Hot hints on vehicle searches are welcome. I've been doing this a while myself. A sales manager knucklehead left me a VM today saying he'd been doing this 14 years. I've been swapping cars annually or every two or three years since 1990. Sometimes you win, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. :cool:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Hi,
are you looking for a new one or used one? And how far are you willing to travel to get one?
you see, I was in the market for 2015 F5 SX AT. Mine is MT and I thought I got tired of it... but I think I will stick to it for a while anyway. Hence, I was. Besides, I could not get one locally to test drive it long enough to see how much I like AT.

So here is the thing.
I am not sure what is your location, but it seems Perrysburg, OH from what you said.
I know dealer in North of Columbus has lots of F5s. Both MT and AT.

I found a great condition used one in MO. Sure, that would be a quite drive for you, but it is CPO 2015, black pearl, fully loaded with barely 12k miles for 18k.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/679361824/overview/

So, open your area a bit and you will find many of them.

As for Hyundai.
I would rather see Elantra GT with 1.6T. It would seem like a competitor to Forte5.
It looks like H/K fill voids - Forte T comes only in hatchback and coupe. Elantra sedan only...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
^^Thanks, PLP. That looks like a clean F5 there. I'm in the Toledo area, part of the Perrysburg metroplex.

I've been doing a wide search, mostly with Autotrader and CarGurus. I didn't go out 500 miles though. I did find a possible candidate in Tinley Park, IL.

Funny, I drove to St. Louis in '99 for a Golf TDi, which were unavailable in the Little Rock area. I did that in a day, this trip is 500 one way. Nonetheless, I'll check into it. Thanks for the link.

I'd expect the GT-E to go turbo sooner rather than later. The beat goes on.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I find cars.com to work better than autotrader which in turn does not sort the listings properly. There is some kind of "priority"...
Plus pics are easier to view in cars.com.
Just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who here has had experience with the 178 HP 1.6t? From what I've seen over various tests, it seems to pull just as well as the 201 HP and deliver better fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I have not had a chance. It has different torque curve. Starts off earlier. I guess that could be the reason here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts