Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a fan of "covering" radiators. Basically, mesh or honeycomb is nothing more, but restricting the air flow through radiators.
However, I would rather have the fan to kick in more often as opposed to have damaged radiators.
The exposed ones are A/C condenser and intercooler.
Intercooler does not look so bad. Some bent fins, but not drastically.
Much worse is the A/C condenser.

As you see below in pictures, it took a lot of damage from flying rocks.
This particular car has a huge cooling air intake. Front fascia/grille is a wide mouth with big gaps allowing almost anything to fly in... And the damage you see was only in one year and 10'000 miles.

Therefore, one of the first mods was installing the grille mesh.
You can order some expensive, custom made, stainless steel, and whatnots. Please go ahead.
I decided to simply get a gutter guard from local HomeDepot. They are cheap, metal, in different colors. I went with black.
Cost 2.84 per 3 feet of product. One piece is good to cover the lower, widest mouth :).
Second piece to cut in smaller sections to cover the upper parts.

Amerimax Home Products 5 in. x 3 ft. Black Lock-on Gutter Guard-441-503 - The Home Depot

Because the section is taller than 5 inches, you must flatten the "guard lock". Pry with fingers and finish with a wooden block. You get exactly the height you need for the lower part.
Access to the bottom - remove the splash shield (3 or 4 plastic locks and 5 of 10 mm head bolts). Great access if you have ramps.

The last thing you need is a bag of small, black zip-ties.
Extras include good weather, patience (in fitting the upper parts), and small hands.

If you have experience with bumper cover removal, you might do that to ease access to the top parts. This is pain in the anus.

I did not trim the lower part at all. I used I think 6 zip ties all together to secure the mesh. Initially I put one, straighten the mesh, put another one. Then made them tight and finish with others.
Pictures below.

Section of the gutter guard

Rectangle Grey Asphalt Wood Composite material

Lower part installed.

Automotive parking light Grille Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Close up of the lower section. See the radiator now?

Grille Automotive tire Rectangle Stairs Wood

View from inside the engine bay. Looking through the splash shield.

Automotive tire Bumper Tread Automotive design Line

And exactly same thing you must do to cover the upper parts. You must only cut smaller pieces. Access is pretty bad, hence tiny hands are in need...
To get to the very top part, remove the 4 of 10 mm hex head bolts from plastic cover and slightly bend it. Just like pictured. Then... get in there :D.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive design

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i like the idea, but i would want to see it secured a little more inconspicuous. my eyes would lock onto the zipties every time i looked at the front of the car...

also... i apologize you live in a place that has a front plate..

Head Rectangle Organism Reptile Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're missing something though. a big ol front mount. Nice write up
Time will come... when funds are here... and when wife is not looking.

i like the idea, but i would want to see it secured a little more inconspicuous. my eyes would lock onto the zipties every time i looked at the front of the car...

also... i apologize you live in a place that has a front plate..
zipties - nope, you cannot really see them unless you look closely and know they are there. I thought about some screws from behind, or frame that would hold it from behind the cover. However, making it, molding, and such - not really worth it.
I will eventually go with some tinier ones.

as for the plate - there is only rear plate, but I got the car from TN where they have front plate.
In the matter of fact, I just pulled off the plate holder and I have nice 4 holes in the front... I must find a way to cover them, or put the plate holder back.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would swap my grill inserts for mesh. Prob be my next project. I just need a tool to cut it cleanly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
Cover them with 3M carbon fiber vinyl. Cheap on Amazon.com and it will match up to your car just fine.

Reactions: 2014:1.6lT

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would swap my grill inserts for mesh. Prob be my next project. I just need a tool to cut it cleanly.
so you will need some stronger material, tougher mesh, as on this large surface the bending forces only from air flow will be large, not to mention any object flying into it.

schizorazgriz
no, I am not a fan of carbon fiber...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts