Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just traded my 2012 gti in on a new forte5 sx turbo the other night. I was able to snag one with the tech package, and the gorgeous snow white pearl. I opted for an automatic. I was originally looking for a manual, but I was impressed with the triptronic transmission. It's going to be my daily, so an auto isn't all bad.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I loved my gti. But it was a 2 door. And nearing the end of the aftermarket warranty. I wanted a 4 door car, with a factory warranty, and that was a least a little fun to drive.
Tire Wheel Sky Car Land vehicle

So! My gti was decently quick. It had a few mods, and a 'stage 2' ecu tune, which bumped the power up to a claimed 275 horse and 325 torque.

Obviously, I wasn't expecting that kind of performance from the kia. I had flashed and returned the vw back to stock before trading it in, and I was surprised to find that the forte5 actually feels a little faster, stock vs stock, than the gti did.

Overall fit and finish is better than I was expecting in the kia, but is not as good as the vw. I was expecting that. (I.e. Body panel gaps being larger, or not flush)

I'm extremely happy with the car though. I love it. The SWP Is so much prettier than the Candy White on the vw. I don't plan on modifying this car much, if at all. I don't want to void the warranty.

I have a 1989 Jeep Comanche that most of my time and funds go to anyways.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Vehicle

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

That's interesting comparison between the two. Be interesting to see your long term review comparing the two as a daily as well.

BTW that Jeep is freaking sweeeet!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome! I don't remember the last time I saw a Comanche around and yours looks like it's in really good shape.

Nice vehicles!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome! I also had a mk6, a 2010 Autobahn which was my favorite car I've owned even though it was at the dealer way too often(also sold it before the warranty was up). Owned a Subaru in between before getting the Forte5 so didn't go back to back like you did. It's basically almost a GTI for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
So how does GTI compare to F5 SX?
Stock to stock...

I was about to jump into 2013 Drivers Edition, but it was going to be too expensive at the time. However, 2.0 T vs 1.6 T, despite looking same on paper, sounded better.

Reactions: Shreddable

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcomes and kind words!

I've had the Comanche for over 10 years now. I bought it completely stock when I was 16, and have built it into the rig it is now in my back yards. It's a real money pit!

So how does GTI compare to F5 SX?
Stock to stock...

I was about to jump into 2013 Drivers Edition, but it was going to be too expensive at the time. However, 2.0 T vs 1.6 T, despite looking same on paper, sounded better.
Like I said in my op, the forte feels faster.

However, I don't think it actually is. The GTI is an extremely refined hot hatch. So refined, it's a fault in the car, in my opinion. It's so smooth, so concise, so undramatic, that it doesn't feel as fast as it actually is. For example, when it was tuned, I'd race cars I was expecting to be much faster, because they felt faster when I was riding in them. Then I'd put lengths on them in the gti.

The forte, on the other hand, may be slower. But it's so much more a visceral experience than the gti, that it makes it feel faster.

If that makes any sense at all.

I'll miss the gti. Already do, I've found myself looking for all that power that the tuned and modded gti had. (I.e. trying to go around someone on the on ramp.)

The forte has more kit than my gti did. Way more features. Most importantly, it has that awesome warranty.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah, GTI is built for the autobahn and very refined. With the exception of those 18" Detroits transmitting every bump. They even had that ridiculous soundkator thing in your model year to give some artificial engine noise to the passenger compartment.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I think you will be surprised when you get a feel for what these cars are capable of, I am sure that at the same power levels you had your GTI at that the Forte will feel quite a bit more impressive, Let me know when the mod bug starts to get at you, We have quite a few big things in the works at the moment that I think everyone here will enjoy! Also, Loving the white, it looks great!
Tyson

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I'll miss the gti. Already do, I've found myself looking for all that power that the tuned and modded gti had. (I.e. trying to go around someone on the on ramp.)

The forte has more kit than my gti did. Way more features. Most importantly, it has that awesome warranty.
It makes sense. I get it.
The speed/acceleration perception is different between cars. We just traded in a 2007 KIA Rondo (V6, 2.7) for a 2016 Fiat 500X AWD (I4, 2.4). While on paper they are about same, acceleration feels unimpressive in FIAT, plus you do not feel speed. I found myself to go over limit at least by 10 mph not even realising.

As for power in Forte. Well, do not expect much from it. To get 270 WHP you must really push it and work hard on engine. This will, of course, cost you warranty.
GTI has "undertuned" engine. It has much larger capabilities than KIA 1.6. But well, I must admit, Forte5 is light and agile. I kept up to cars I believe I should have lost in no time.

Automatic Forte5 has shorter first 3 gears than MT. Then, the 5th and 6th are taller... hence from dead stop acceleration is better (or at least same than MT)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you will be surprised when you get a feel for what these cars are capable of, I am sure that at the same power levels you had your GTI at that the Forte will feel quite a bit more impressive, Let me know when the mod bug starts to get at you, We have quite a few big things in the works at the moment that I think everyone here will enjoy! Also, Loving the white, it looks great!
Tyson
I have no intention of trying to turn the forte into a racecar, but I may be interested in trying to make it a little more fun for the daily commute. I don't, however, want to do anything to void my warranty.

It makes sense. I get it.
The speed/acceleration perception is different between cars. We just traded in a 2007 KIA Rondo (V6, 2.7) for a 2016 Fiat 500X AWD (I4, 2.4). While on paper they are about same, acceleration feels unimpressive in FIAT, plus you do not feel speed. I found myself to go over limit at least by 10 mph not even realising.

As for power in Forte. Well, do not expect much from it. To get 270 WHP you must really push it and work hard on engine. This will, of course, cost you warranty.
GTI has "undertuned" engine. It has much larger capabilities than KIA 1.6. But well, I must admit, Forte5 is light and agile. I kept up to cars I believe I should have lost in no time.

Automatic Forte5 has shorter first 3 gears than MT. Then, the 5th and 6th are taller... hence from dead stop acceleration is better (or at least same than MT)
Yeah, I have no intention of trying to get the forte to the same level the gti was. I'll buy a project car in the future when I want to go fast again.

I've noticed that the gears are unbelievably short in the auto.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have no intention of trying to turn the forte into a racecar, but I may be interested in trying to make it a little more fun for the daily commute. I don't, however, want to do anything to void my warranty.

Yeah, I have no intention of trying to get the forte to the same level the gti was. I'll buy a project car in the future when I want to go fast again.

I've noticed that the gears are unbelievably short in the auto.
Congrats. Never seen anyone come from the dark side. Usually people who own a 'lesser' car want to upgrade. That said, I've told myself if this Kia becomes too much of a financial drain, I'm going to get a Nissan Micra, $999 CND with manual roll up/down windows, 14" hub caps steel rims, etc.

I didn't like the automatic I drove, even in manual mode with paddles. It felt really slow and gutless but then again, I didn't mash the pedal either.

Anyway, I never had any intention of buying the automatic since it's $1000 extra and this is my first turbo car so I wanted the full experience.

If you want to do some visual upgrades, definitely add a rear wing. This thing looks a bit off kilter without one.

Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

It isn't my car. I'm trying to find out which wing it is. Also the extended third brake light was photoshop as you can see from the reflection. Looks pretty cool though.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I have the auto and the gears compared to the manual are way better. I drove my buddies with a 6sp manual and 1st is really pointless in that car. The auto I really like in this car compared to others I drove and my car is by no means gutless lol. Even stock she moved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
View attachment 3313

I want this wing! Let me know if any of you guys find where I could get one, or similar. Thanks!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've seen some similar ones on the Mazda3. It's a pretty generic wing for the Mazda3 Sport pre-current generation. I'll update the thread if/when I come across it again.

I'm really into the wings with the 2 dividers in the middle similar to the Focus RS. I think it adds a bit of uniqueness.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats. Never seen anyone come from the dark side. Usually people who own a 'lesser' car want to upgrade. That said, I've told myself if this Kia becomes too much of a financial drain, I'm going to get a Nissan Micra, $999 CND with manual roll up/down windows, 14" hub caps steel rims, etc.

I didn't like the automatic I drove, even in manual mode with paddles. It felt really slow and gutless but then again, I didn't mash the pedal either.

Anyway, I never had any intention of buying the automatic since it's $1000 extra and this is my first turbo car so I wanted the full experience.

If you want to do some visual upgrades, definitely add a rear wing. This thing looks a bit off kilter without one.

View attachment 3313

It isn't my car. I'm trying to find out which wing it is. Also the extended third brake light was photoshop as you can see from the reflection. Looks pretty cool though.

The auto definitely isn't gutless. I'm not sure how I feel about that spoiler. Almost like they are trying too hard to make it look like an STI.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts