Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I bought my forte koup sx 2014 Automatic 4 month ago and im fairly happy.

As some people pointed out here I put 91 octane in my car for better performance and mpg

But I'm having very bad mpg rating

I checked the specs online and I'm supposed to get

9,3 l/100 (city) 25.29 mpg
6,6 L/100 (highway) 35.64 mpg

I'm kind of a spirited driver but I drive the speed limit and I'm usually in traffic.

When I'm on the highway I get around 8.5 L/100 (27.67 mpg) (That the average on the dash)
When I'm in the city I get around 12 L/100 (19.6 mpg) (That the average on the dash)

I understand its winter and with winter tire we get bad millage but 400 km with a 50L tank is not normal by these rating (And I have performance winter tire)

Anyone had this problem or have this problem and want to share hints ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll follow this thread. I just got a 16 auto sx. I've not put enough miles on it to really be able to contribute, but I will once I do.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you are running a engine stock 87 is the number for you. Some may say different,

Best MPG ive gotten is 32 on the display. 30 when working actual numbers.

I average about 24 to 26. I do hwy driving mostly 55 to 75 mph. My car is stock tune no engine mods.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
It is COLD what kills the engine.

I had 2015 MT and now I drive 20016 AT.

Depending on the trip, but generally on daily commute with starts at about -8 C and commute being 17 km, averaging time 15 minutes, I get 24 MPG US, that is 10 l/100 km (display). When calculated it is roughly 11.2 l/100 km.
After about 5 minutes drive engine reaches operating temperature assuming heat is OFF. If I keep it ON, engine may not reach operating temperature almost till the end of the trip.
Keeping heat OFF (warm but is good then...) helps to get better results...

MT was a bit better, but also about not better than 24 MPG US calculated.

Now, when the engine is HOT and I do the same trip - easily 27 MPG.

On highway I got 36 MPG US display going about 70 mph.

All of this of course using ECO and keeping RPM low end. Barely ever reaching 3000 rpm. Most of the time up to 2500.

As for petrol.
Do NOT use 91 unless you are having issues with the engine (pinging/knocking) or you are tuned.
87 is good for it.
91 is too hard to ignite. It will resist ignition causing other issues. 91 is for higher compression and higher power.
Basically, you choose grade based on pinging under power. If 87 does not cause it and power is there - keep it. If not, one notch higher.

In MT I had to use 89. I tried 91 and gave no better results.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I use 87 in my MT and get a steady 29mpg running average in city/suburban driving. No highway. No need for higher octane without a tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use 87 in my 2014 SX & get about the same mileage as specs say:
9,3 l/100 (city) 25.29 mpg
6,6 L/100 (highway) 35.64 mpg
The 1.6 Turbo is not tuned for great fuel economy but it accelerates well.
Not to steal this thread but doe everyone get the black specs all over the back of their car like mine?
Comes off with a wash but annoying just the same.
My car has 20000 Kilometers.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah that''s typical of any GDI engine. The hatch of my white VW GTI would look awfully dirty soon after a wash.

At least with the Forte5 being black it's not as noticeable. :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
102 mpg? Huh? YOU???
I bet you reset the counter while coasting from your 120 mph run. lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually, it was coasting down the leward side of the Continnental divide which is several miles. Pretty funny huh.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
What were you doing there? That is a quite drive from IN....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have to agree with the OP. I'm not seeing 25/35 with my 16sx. Temperature can be a factor but not to this degree. Same issue as last summer produced similar results. Gas grade also had little or no barring. This is my third Forte, (not by choice) and generally, none really achieved the advertised gas mileage. My 16 is unmodded, my past forte had few mods.... these fortes engines dont like city driving as far as fuel economy is concerned. Im still low mileage, but dont expect much improvement, this based simply from my experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to agree with the OP. I'm not seeing 25/35 with my 16sx. Temperature can be a factor but not to this degree. Same issue as last summer produced similar results. Gas grade also had little or no barring. This is my third Forte, (not by choice) and generally, none really achieved the advertised gas mileage. My 16 is unmodded, my past forte had few mods.... these fortes engines dont like city driving as far as fuel economy is concerned. Im still low mileage, but dont expect much improvement, this based simply from my experience.
Got to agree with you there, my last car was a 2008 kia spectra5 and I never achieved the advertised gas mileage even with slow acceleration for a whole tank.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I get a computer indicated 27.5 MPG's with about a 50/50 city/hwy mix running 92 octane (ya, weird octane here in OR/WA)... There are other threads about fuel octane, I just have a hard time bringing myself to not running premium in a turbo car... It just now has 1500 miles on it, so it could be just now "breaking in", still have original oil in it but is getting changed this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
My car got better mpg around 5-7k miles. Thats when the motor really "woke up" and was getting 31mpg with it. City I got about 22 because I just love to mess with some honda guys around here lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
I averaged 36.5 for a half tank average! First time ever, I was traveling at about 55 to 70 mph. I'm so proud of my little forte. Then on my return trip I averaged about 80mph and for the rest of the tank my mpg went down to 26.7... But it was getting late and I wanted to get home. But crazy difference from 60 mph to 80 just tanks this car.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I averaged 36.5 for a half tank average! First time ever, I was traveling at about 55 to 70 mph.
Sweet spot is about 65 mph. I got almost 40 mpg (the display, true was about 36 mpg - it is off by 8-10%) on a 400 mile trip with one tank. I was afraid I will not make it, but sure enough.
Even in city now, my daily commute - using ECO, being gentle (half throttle), no burnouts for sure - I can get nearly 30 mpg displayed. Then, I want to take off quickly, have fun with it - and I end up with tank being 24 mpg display, 22 mpg true.

Manual was even better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts