Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey dudes,

I am a VT,..but Iam a 1.6T. We have the same motors, the same ECU's. Ignore the garish exterior, and take note of what one might do to your powerplant. Much to come, maybe give you some ideas.:cool:

My motor has 65K on it. So the things I have done are tried and true. Not experimental at this point.
EVERYTHING I list may be done to your cars. Yes, the Forte is a more refined, sudued exterior. Just think. The changes I will show you would make one HELL of a sleeper !

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm game to see what you got.

Also will there be numbers and dyno sheets?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds good. I'm excited to see if this tease turns out better than the last few dates ive had... Seriously they were a big let down.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
LOL welcome Gaijiin, I think quite a few of the members here will enjoy your build, looking forward to getting updates on her again. This forum is quite a bit more relaxed than the veloster forum so keep that in mind. Have fun and everyone stay tuned to see what he has in store for you!
Tyson

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
First things first.

I love my VT,...(1.6T-GDI).
If you guys don't like what I'm sayin,...dont read. All are welcome though. PM me with any detailed questions.

I do this because I know you guys love your Forte's. Hyundai and KIA are sister companies. It is truly amazing how many KIA and hyundai cast parts are interchanged between our two models.

First to understand what has taken place here is the truth nothing but the truth.
I bought a Vitamin C Veloster Turbo/AT in July of 2013.
The motor 1.6 was an Ulsan plant manufacture, and it was problematic, like many of my associates.
It blew up. Hyundais official diagnosis was "Injector failure in cylinder #4-hydrolock and threw a rod as well.
Hyundai good to their word, gave me a new Sohari 2014 build 1.6 T-GDI long block.

After that, all bets were off, the heavy duty modding went full speed ahead. I unlike many on my previous forum, told my dealer I was tuning. I used them for many of the problematic or ambitious installs.
I am not down with the whole dual ECU's one tuned one stock. Thats just me.

I have been tuned since 8,000 miles ALL TORKme tunes. Here is the progression:

1. TORK 1.25 AT tune. 22 psi. Had a HF Cat big SRI. Lasted till 24 K.
2. Went to a full blown TORK 1,5 AT tune. The tune commanded 25 psi, and was advanced in timing. Also added pure meth injection and a true down pipe with NO CAT. I also used custom mixed fuel for higher exhaust energies. Commanded 25 psi but with fuel I could produce 28 psi which would knock the car out.
This tune was awesome, BUT,..the oem 1.6 headbolts could'nt handle the psi, and were stretched.
This was manifest by the car "pushing" coolant into the overflow when I would go over say 11 psi. Under 11 psi it didnt do it. This was until 46 K
SO,.......I sent my turbo to TORKme. He sent me back his awesome SST turbo for the 1.6----AND the requisite super head studs/head gasket and his custom tool kit.
My car was the first 1.6 SST with his head studs that was not installed by him. My dealers EQUUS techs did the install with direction from John.
***No other tuning house has TORKs method. They have "head studs" but Johns is unique and complete. "Ingenious", not my words, the EQUUS installers words.

I will post these pics for you. I will try to stay practical, I think you will like what you see. My VT is friggiin perfect now. The engine HYUNDAY/KIA should have put in her.
Here is TORKs dyno for his SST turbo on 19 psi..............I have a SST with 24 psi.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

His SST is efficient to 11 K. The oem turbo konks out at 6 ish K.
His SST has much more CFM. So you are pushing more "air" at a lower psi. This results in a safer more stable tune, even though it is much more powerful. TORKs doing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here is the oil fix for the 1.6

A good idea for anyone tuning. A necessary item if you are tracking you car. Adds oil volume, prevents"dry" uptake from centrifugal forces in track conditions.

Hope you can read this.

: TORK motorsports oil fix for the 1.6

Darn,..its not working
If you google search the above, you can read the entire diy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what should be done if you want a true down pipe. Our 1.6's turbo studs are not designed to be re-used. I had the dealer dudes do the install. They drilled out the old studs, and installed class 10 hardware. Notice they removed the entire turbo assy to do this. Labor was 275.00

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sculpture Automotive lighting Statue

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is what you need to know from its creator:

Super Stock Turbo...

I know a lot of you have been waiting for this and we finally got a production part in with the custom billet compressor wheel.

This wheel was designed for the Hyundai turbine wheel and calculated to work with proper pressure ratio offset. There is such a thing as going to big, lol.

Target HP levels for this turbo is average 300-320 at 20-22 psi. Pushed to 26 psi we are expecting to see 350 WHP and pushed even further... race fuel... agressive tuning on a forged engine, we might be able to see 400 WHP.

This is going to be the upgrade for those who want to get that extra power without having to worry about drive-ability or pushing the stock components inside the engine.

This is a custom 6 blade billet compressor wheel that has been designed for the stock turbo cover. We could get a much larger compressor inside the cover but we were worried about the air "stacking" inside the compressor cover causing surge and other problems when running such a small compressor housing.

We will be testing, verifying and tuning this set up over the next two weeks. In that time we will have a full tune ready for this upgrade by the time we have additional cores in stock for our customers.

Pricing: $895 + core
This includes a full rebuild on your core, billet wheel and our specified turbine wheel clip to help with turbo efficiency. If a rebuild is not necessary, you will be credited for $150. We see very few turbos that don't need to be rebuilt, but this is a small savings for those who send us a brand new turbo for upgrade.

We will be posting dyno results when we get the shop car all done up with this upgrade.

Thanks,

John

Notice what he says about the internals.
My VT is a true Super STOCKER. Stock rods, pistons. But you must improve the headstuds and the head gasket. 7 total layers including two aerosol Copper.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Methanol injection:

System AEM 30-3300 325.00
Snow performance solenoid
Alcohol systems 7 gph nozzle.

Pure methanol. For the long haul. The cleanest GDI valves you will ever see. My EQUUS techs shit the bed when the took the motor apart. They told me that at 18K the Valves look like burnt smores. They said the V8 GDI's are the same way. Nothing but oooohs and ahhs.

Here is the proof beyond areasonable doubt. Pure meth. NOT W/M.
View attachment 3674

Yeah, they are silver. This pic was taken at 50K. I just re-did my vacuum lines and removed the intake manifold. They look the same now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Anyone else having trouble with the attachment 3674? I cant view it and I really wanna see your valves!;)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lets try this again

Here is a picture of what any of your valves look like from say 18K up. Oil type will not help this. Techron done periodically can only put a dent in it.

Head Glasses Eye Human body Eyewear

Here are my valves. Protected by methanol. Pure methanol. The corrosive nature of the chemical eats anything organic/carbon based. This is only a side benefit of meth injection, albeit a very significant one. For the long haul.

They look this way today. The pic was taken by my EQUUS dudes as they removed everything to do the custom TORK head studs.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Bumper

You are not seeing things, they are silver.:cool:

The wisdom of pure methanol comes from TORKme. If you want to argue, argue with him.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a picture of the block after recieving the head studs, the new head gasket with the final outer copper layer cured. If you get this kit make sure you use the aersol copper, NOT hte brush on.

The EQUUS dudes removed the entire block. They did the drilling with a centered lathe table. Done the right way, great results.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Then the long re assembly process. A real good side benefit to putting the car through this is everything is inspected and re torqued to spec. So at 50 K all internals were eyes on. Oh also " while your in there", is a great principle to capitalize on. My dealer parts guy made me aware that there were 2016 injectors to be had. They even gave them to me for 35.00 a piece, and charged no additional labor.

Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Nickel Engineering

Here is what the internals at 50K look like of a CERMA treated motor, with CERMA oil changed every 3 K. Spotless, slick, shiny. After doing this work all the techs in the entire dealer ship went to CERMA stuff. If you have questions PM me. This is not an oil thread.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Light Fluid

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Head gasket/ studs continued

Here are more pics. Look at the big ass improved head gasket. Remember the SST turbo is pushing much more CFM volume, at higher effieciency for a longer curve.

The true weak point of the 2014 and up 1.6 block is the head studs and gasket. You must do both at the same time.

Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Synthetic rubber Bumper

Pic of the caps, two of them are modified to fit under our "appliances".

Liquid Fluid Ingredient Solution Recipe

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Required.............

So you want to push 300-ish well, NGK race plugs are a requirement.
325 and up who knows, NGK race 10's

So TORKme gave me the super SST tune at 50K. The breakin tune went to 19 psi, and is detailed in the dyno graph. Put about 7K on that and TORK had to find his way around the ECM's torque and horsepower limiters. Hyundai/KIA has went to great lengths untilizing numerous systems to limit the power:

1. The motor can make
2. What the transaxle will deliver

Some of you might know these as the P061 A and B codes.
John Bushbaum is the only tuner in the northern hemisphere that knws how to do this reliably, and can repeat it.
There are other tuners which have outfitted big or stuffed turbo's. But these are all custom builds and involve tens of thousands of dollars, and require complete forged rebuilds.

Take note, my 1.6 uses stock pistons and rods. Back to the plugs

NGK hr 9 race plugs. Here they are for their 15K checkup. I pull them every 5 K to check their gap etc. TORK's SST tune involves increasing the spark energies delivered to the plugs.(dwell).
Its awesome.

Plugs are TANKS
Auto part Household hardware Gun accessory Pattern Metal

Gas Auto part Nickel Close-up Metal

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Rim

Not bad for 15 K in a super hostile evironment. Note how clean the actual ignition point and ceramic is.:cool:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
SST has to breathe

So I hope you get some principles out of these pics that you can apply to your Forte's.

Keep in mind the SST turbo has much more ravenous air appetite than the stock turbo. TORKme proved by dyno that the oem turbo was better served by a 3.5 intake. The result of that has led to every vendor coming up with their own versions.

I wanted to feed the beast, here are the parameters.
Fact : wider diameter, the better.
Fact : shorter travel the better
Fact : direct outside high pressure air is the best
Fact : one 90 degree turn can equal four feet of travel resistance in the same diameter. ***So we must make it wider and gentler. Here is mine:

Cone is a true tunnel ram that is fed directly with high pressure clean outside air
Cone goes into a V-Stak which goes into a 5 inch diameter pipe.
All the clamps are overlapping segments which make the turn wider and more gentle, thus increasing flow.
Ultimate reducer goes from 4 inch diameter to 2.75 cast location.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Headlamp

Here is how it is fed.
Grille Automotive lighting Rectangle Mesh Audio equipment

Bad ass ! When you go WOT The whistling suction becomes louder than the exhaust !

Watch this video. It explains vents vs scoops
Choose your own.Mine are from a GTR

1 - 20 of 160 Posts