Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning while getting on the free way to head to work, I dropped it from 6th to 4th. As car started to scoot along once I was a hair over 5k it hit just dropped everything, let go of throttle and sunk back into it again and same thing. Was stuck in traffic so no high revving till I headed home later. On the way home I pushed the case in different gears with different results. 1st would get to about 6k and as the gears got higher the cut off got lower. In 4th it was now at 4500 rpms.

Let the car cool down and tested again. Same results. Tried to data log but the velm327 I had in case was being a pain. Grabbed the one from my wife's car and watched boost and fuel pressure. Boost seemed to always hit a ceiling of around 17 and then the wall would hit. If I applied less throttle it could trev higher or if I played with the throttle to drop and up boost I could get further as well. Fuel pressure would hit almost 2500psi. When fuel cut would kick in the pressure would drop about 5-800psi almost immediately. This is my first gdi car so bear with me as I am not used to reading these fuel numbers.

So.... Any one have any suggestions on where to look next. Going to call the dealer tomorrow as well. Also no mods except for resonator delete in regards to the engine.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I know the VT was having a issue with the fuel line kinking but haven't heard of it on the Forte yet and since power comes back when you release the throttle makes it sound like the ecu limiting.
What is the timing doing when it drops fuel pressure?
Almost a scary thing to drop fp while under boost and wot if it is actually the ecu doing it.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
You might be hitting a limiter some how. My car did that the other day when I went wot and it was like hitting a wall.

Maybe reset the ecu to see if that helps to. Like playwithmymind said there are reports of fuel line kink. There has been a few 2015 VT cars that have reported it also. Tork has a fuel line replacement along with the guys I'm going through for the hotpipe. If it's hitting almost 2500psi though right before the cut to me it seems like it's not that but never know!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already have an appointment set with the dealer. Reading those fuel line threads last night, not something I feel like doing to a car with only 4500 miles on it. Well keep every one posted. Did not log timing. But was living a pid called fuel cut, and it cut when the body hit 17... But could have been me releasing the throttle right when it hit.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
We have found the issues that the veloster guys have been dealing with for quite a while are also starting to pop up for the forte's as well. If the dealer will not replace under warranty, we have an upgraded braided fuel line on our website for the veloster that will also work for the Forte's and you will not have fuel line kinking issues anymore.
Tyson

·
Registered
981 Posts
We have found the issues that the veloster guys have been dealing with for quite a while are also starting to pop up for the forte's as well. If the dealer will not replace under warranty, we have an upgraded braided fuel line on our website for the veloster that will also work for the Forte's and you will not have fuel line kinking issues anymore.
Tyson
Might as well drop the pump upgrade at the same time.

Reactions: Forte5

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Progress so far. Tech is able to reproduce it. Supposedly they sent it to Kia and Kia told them it was normal. I pushed the issue, and they are looking into it further. Took tech for another spin and he did some more data logging and got some screen shots.

On a side note, car only boosts 14psi which is where it was cutting off.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Progress so far. Tech is able to reproduce it. Supposedly they sent it to Kia and Kia told them it was normal. I pushed the issue, and they are looking into it further. Took tech for another spin and he did some more data logging and got some screen shots.

On a side note, car only boosts 14psi which is where it was cutting off.
That really urks me when they say stupid shit like that. Like someone performance minded is going to walk away and say "oh I didn't know it was supposed to lose power under acceleration". It's not even my car (even though mine has a few issues also) and it really makes me want to look elsewhere for my next car.

Reactions: Forte5

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. But it seems its the same anywhere you go. I had one hell of an issue with my subaru (one of the reasons i did not go with a wrx and legacy this time around). But i had good techs i worked with. in the end and it was the regional manager that was the real problem (tried to deny a tranmsission synchro claim on mods when i brought it in before any mods had been done etc). But they are still people too.

But I also agree the level of service needs to be better on Kia corporates end. Telling me this was normal is no bueno. In fact i consider this a safety issue. I also did tell them about the VT recall to so hopefully that steered them in the right direction. More updates when i get them.

In the end we have all been on both ends of these issues so we still need to be kind (but maybe firm) with our fellow people.

Will post once i hear more

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Sounds just like the dealership for my suv. I took my suv in for a transmission whine 8 times in 6 months and they kept saying they can't hear anything and mainly said they couldn't hear it over my exhaust and intake. I even called corporate and they said to give them a few more chances and I took it the next day for a issue with the brakes and the guy checking the brakes out told them he heard it. Low and behold a bearing was failing and it was replaced. Well I have the issue again and of course going through the same crap but this time car is out of warranty but thankfully they are saying they will warranty the transmission.

I have a feeling your getting the fuel line kink that the VT crowd is getting if it's falling off there. That's usually where it will fall off from what I have been reading over there. I hope they get to the bottom of it and it's nothing to major

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are sticking to their story that its normal. Guess I got downgraded to the diesel version (with the new new lower floating red line) ugh.

Called corporate so we will see where that goes.

Also logged on the way home so I'd now over 1000psi and then shoots right back up.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Yeah sounds like the fuel line issue. I would keep bugging them and if the dealer still says no tell them you want someone from corporate there. Sounds like the dealer is full of b.s

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just don't understand why the dealers try soooo damn hard to not fix the problems and try to do any and everything they can to blame it on something else. Nobody should have to call any corporate office. I had a problem with our suv with the steering wheel like popping while turning , sounded like an axel , they told us that all of the new toyotas did that. But anyhow any car brand with a 100k warranty should fix these problems so that next time the customers are likely to return back to the same car brand for their future sales....

·
Registered
981 Posts
They are sticking to their story that its normal. Guess I got downgraded to the diesel version (with the new new lower floating red line) ugh.

Called corporate so we will see where that goes.

Also logged on the way home so I'd now over 1000psi and then shoots right back up.
Well hate to say it but maybe the engine will have a catastrophic failure and you can rub their face in it and say "I told you so".
Mine had a major failure with 8K miles and they tried to deny my warranty because of the front mount IC and CO2 sprayer and after a quick chat with my attorney they sent a engineer to pull it down and find what caused the issue and it ended up being a error in the ecu rpm limiting and everything came apart at 9800 rpm and still at full boost (yup, I neutral shifted a A/T lol). The second problem he found was the detente for the shifter that holds it over in manual mode let the shifter move freely back and forth so when I was powering out of a corner and went from the E-brake handle to bump the shifter to shift the next gear it went to neutral instead and of course throttle position was 100%. The only thing I had to do was bring all the stock parts for them to install when it went back together.

Thing to remember when having work done is if they have to remove a aftermarket part to do work and they re-install it they have to warranty that also. That is the main reason some techs won't touch the car with mods, if something happens it fall back to them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Corporate transferred it to regional. Regional denied it saying they can't look at it just cause I disagree with the diagnosis. Told me if I wanted to talk to a tech I needed to go back to the dealer.

Called up dealer and spoke with sales manager, explained story, took him for a ride and he also agrees is not normal. Had him watch my phone with torque to show that massive dip over 1000psi and how it would not Rev.

Worst part is my wife's faith in her car is now shaky cause of this ordeal (hers only has an issue with one of the paddles which she never uses but I do).

Keeping my fingers crossed this gets resolved. But on a brighter note, x on the vt forum is now selling a braided stainless steel line for 150. @forte5 preordered so hopefully we will get a review and know there is another solution.... In case this happens again.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I will be paying for my fuel line friday. Once I get it I will take tons of pictures and do some logging with it. I am really hoping it helps with the dip I am feeling lately. I know it's not the tune and more of a fuel issue.

That really sucks they won't do anything. If you can take it to another dealer and see what they say and take the tech with you showing the drop in psi

·
Registered
981 Posts
Given how this keeps popping up I'm moving my Fuel line/Fuel Pump kits to the front of the development line. I'll have something for you guys in a couple weeks.
You just want all my money come Turkey Day don't you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
It really IS normal, it's stupid, but it's designed into the ecu. I did some data logging myself, and the engine stops advancing timing (therefore cutting fuel and boost) to "protect itself." It happens at lower revs if you burn regular gas, but with premium it still does it. Tork tune is the only fix I've heard of so far, but the you need to run premium (if you aren't already.) still, I've gotta imagine fuel system upgrades will work wonders as well, looking forward to it

1 - 20 of 92 Posts