Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Front Wiper Deicer - confirmed operation.

Post was updated.
In short - front deicer works with rear/mirrors defroster.

So today I finally confirmed existence of this system. The only confusion is how it is activated.

Manual states it should be done by switching into windshield defroster. However, after about 1 minute of defroster I did not see/feel any warmth there.
When I turned on rear window defroster. the front started getting warm and clearing the under-wiper area right away.

Anyone to confirm?

I preferred the KIA Rondo approach. There was a separate switch. That's it.

I thought I had this system, as there can be seen lines under the black strip on the bottom of the windshield (under certain angle and in bright light). KIA could not confirm or deny. Even there was no way to tell what part number the windshield would have to confirm existence of the system... confusing.

EDIT.
See pictures below to locate wiper deicer. Look to the left side of the VIN window. There are lines of a lighter shade than the windshield. It is very hard to catch them with a phone. To see them you need strong light shining on the glass.
However, even if you can see the lines, it does NOT mean you have the system active. It might be the windshield with deicer only...

When it gets colder next time, I will verify what you must do to activate it.
20160917_145405.jpg

20160917_145354.jpg

EDIT 2:

Confirmed. It activates with REAR DEFROSTER.

Wait for a warm day and cold night. Then, if you have any condensation on the windshield, turn on the rear defroster and within 30 seconds you should see the moisture evaporating.
If not, wait a bit more... and if still nothing, either your system is setup differently or you simply do not have it.

Reactions: drc69

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying the front window has no heat like the back window does?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying the front window has no heat like the back window does?
It does. But it seems like it is active with rear defroster switch, not climate control windshield defroster...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I never payed much attention. I'll need to check it out for myself.
Thx

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wait what? It's this only for Canada or an option or standard?
Well, that's what I thought.
However, it says somewhere "if equipped"

Look into the first post. Verify if yours have it.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have the permium/tech package right? Pretty sure it's not on the standard SX.
It is 2015 with Leather and roof. No automatic dual zone climate control, though.
In 2015 they had two packages to standard. I do not recall how they were called and KIAMEDIA does not give more details either.

Is it standard? I have no clue... the problem is this feature is not listed anywhere (at least not that I found it) except owners manual (if equipped).
So then, look on the windshield, you might find it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ressurecting this topic...

I need a windshield replacement. Called a few places and was given the same spiel about the car having sensors in the windshield.

I told them I don't have automatic or heated wipers, but then it got me thinking about the de-icer feature. The automatic climate control will switch to defrost if fog starts to accumulate on the windshield... Could this be what they are talking about or something seperate?

I ask because the final place I called gave me a much lower price saying that there is no other sensors for this car.

Mine is a base SX 6 speed.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Deicer and moisture sensor are two different things.

Deicer is activated manually by you when you set the rear window/mirrors deicer to on. It is not as the manual says, at least not in two mine cars. Setting into defrost or even into AUTO (climate control that is) never triggered the wiper deicer.
There is no sensor for it to my knowledge. But there are "heater" lines, just like in rear window. Maybe there is a temperature sensor as well to not allow the glass to melt? Not so sure, it should rather be resistive type of action.

As for moisture.
Yes, it is by the mirror, BUT it is mounted onto the glass. It is not part of the glass. I bet you can remove it and place on the new one.
By the mirror, there is a black cover. Gently pry it open to see the wires and sensor.

IMO - too sensitive. I turned this feature off completely. I am in control when to use defogger.

EDIT.
All of it is based on US model... Canadian could be different, though.

Reactions: staax

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ahh alright thanks. I just checked the Canadian brochure for the 2016 and I see no mention of automatic wipers/heated wipers etc.

Did the US models come with automatic or heated wipers?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Okay more information:

I called my dealers collision center who does windshield replacements and was also originally quoted the higher price.

I told the guy that I am 100% certain I do not have rain-sensing or heated wipers, but I do have the moisture sensing defogger.

He then gave me the lower price option ($380).

So far I've called places and got prices from $290-$450.

The only thing I'm still unsure of is the auto-defrost feature. I think my car has this, but I do not care for it. So I'm thinking I will go with the cheapest option and see where that gets me.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahh alright thanks. I just checked the Canadian brochure for the 2016 and I see no mention of automatic wipers/heated wipers etc.

Did the US models come with automatic or heated wipers?
Heated. I think it was standard despite of trim level for SX (1.6T).

I told the guy that I am 100% certain I do not have rain-sensing or heated wipers, but I do have the moisture sensing defogger.

The only thing I'm still unsure of is the auto-defrost feature. I think my car has this, but I do not care for it. So I'm thinking I will go with the cheapest option and see where that gets me.
As for defrost I am 99.9% sure you DO have it.
Is it climate control? Meaning, automatic temperature and such? If so, then you do have it. Look near the rearview (inside) mirror to find the plastic piece stuck to the glass. That is the moisture sensor.

As for the wipers.
None (in US) was equipped with rain sensing wipers.
However, I believe all had heated wipers. Not really wipers, but the resting place in the glass.
Look in my very first post in this thread.
Look on the pics. See the different colour lines in the glass where the wipers rest? (wipers were lifted to expose the lines)
Those are the heating element lines. They can be seen under certain angle in the sun. Not so easy to spot, though.

Look in yours. You should find them.

To verify if they work, tomorrow morning (your temp should be what? 12 C overnight?) start the car, turn the rear defroster on, keep the climate control OFF, and lift drivers side wiper.
After about 20 seconds, try to fog this part of windshield by blowing warm moist air (yes, you blow :)). It should disappear right away from the glass where the lines are.
That is the way I verified mine.
Or if you have infrared camera...

EDIT.
Stupid Canadian KIA media website.
They do not list any previous models. US can list all the way back to 1990 or even earlier for some models.

·
Registered
458 Posts
De-icer as PLP says is just a heating element in the bottom of the windshield. It helps if you park outside like I do and it is activated with the rear defogger.

In all the time I've owned the car, I've used AC may be once or twice and the automatic climate control even less since I drive alone most of the time, lol.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked my US SX(base with no packages) and does not appear to have the wiper de-icer.
Paperwork or the car itself?
You see, nowhere in specs I found detailed when and if the deicer is there.
Only owners manual would say something. Dealer did not know either. They had two types of windshields...

So the only way to verify was to check the car itself. The heating element is there. Again, it is very hard to see. It must be the right (correct) angle, the light, your eyes, and wipers up. Or test it with mist/fog...

Mine - none of them list it at anywhere. However, both have it: 2015 F5 MT (roof/leather package, but no navi and no climate control), and 2016 F5 AT fully equipped.

·
Registered
524 Posts
See if anything about it is mentioned in yours on vin decoderz. Likely down toward the bottom where it's talking about the wipers. Or search for heat/htd.
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/KNAFZ5A33F5395757

Related items on mine:
W/s glass type-uv cut
Fr wiper - intermittent(variable)
Mist function
Blade type - conventional
Fr wiper-2 speed
Fr wiper-time adjuster

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well, it seems that it is there for this one (2015, pckg 1)

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/KNAFZ5A38F5267272

It is called: W/ wiper deicer
item number: 86A1A1

I could not get more info on the second one. Maybe too many inquiries...

And I cannot get the full report on:
KNAFZ5A33G5647265
and
KNAFZ5A3XG5508802

1 - 20 of 31 Posts