Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm getting close to needing new front pads 2014 Koup.
Other then OEM, suggestions please. :confused:
Ceramic with little to no dust.

Maybe from someone who has them on there car "now".
Thanks for the help / info.

·
Registered
827 Posts
DRC69 - depends on your braking habits and desire for stopping distances, brake performance etc All the chains have valuepriced and premium semi-metallic, PepBoys has those new multi-grove "quiet" brakes, and EBC pads getting around $90-$100 with anti-fade compounds. CARID has gobs of different parameters on their brake pads and pricing levels.
How many miles on your 2014 to need new pads OR is that Southern California traffic murder on brake pads? Or are you a hill descender?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20K on the car. Just would like better feel from the brake pedal.
Just normal stop and go driving. But I do notice a little more fade now then before when they where new.
Know anything about Akebono ProACT stuff?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Check these out, this is what I have... so far so good.

EBC Brakes S9KF1341 - S9 Kits Yellowstuff and USR Rotors - Incl. Rotors and Pads - Front - Rotor Dia. 11.8 in.
Part ##S9KF1341

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They appear to be top tech; but KIA isn't listed as a brand covered on their website.
I checked there online catalog they give part # ACT1543A? I also checked a few retailers same part # so I'm not sure now.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I can't imagine, that even selecting top notch pads at AutoZone (etc) would yield unfavorable braking results, unless you come off the race track with rotors glowing red. Do you install your own pads? Or have it done elsewhere with the rotor surface machined smooth? Gunna change the brake fluid?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Just a word of wisdom.

Buying brakes is a choice of sacrifice.
If you are semi spirited driver who would do a few harder stops, but most of the time drives "normally", I would stay within "regular" brakes.

You can have a few classes of brakes. They do not differ by stopping distance as this is solely driven by tires. And we are not considering here the worst type of pads that smoke under one good stop.

So, you get the call it normal for the sake of it - good braking, good feel, quiet, typical wear, some dust, but not a lot.
Sportier - tad harder, a bit louder (more "scraping noise"), more pronounced dust, same stopping as above.
Racing - even harder, much louder, dustiest, and same stopping distance.

Now, I said same stopping distance.
Yes, it is.
The only difference between them is the... temperature.
Normal are very responsive and give great feel. They slow down car basically at the first touch. After several hard stops they start to fade and breakdown.
Sportier are not as good at the initial touch, but get to speed very quickly. On cold days you may feel weaker braking until they warm up a tad. They will withstand a quite few more hard stops than normal.
Racing - they will be very loud until they warm up. In addition, braking force will be almost non existent and will experience quick wear until the pads reach operating temperature. However, they can glow the rotors and still work fine. However, they are useless on streets.

So, personal experience.
A few years ago I bought used 2009 Hyundai Elantra. It was sedan with 2.0 NA, 5 spd MT.
It was very nice, relatively quick car.
Despite having just shy off 20k miles, the previous owner replaced pads with EBC Greenstuff.
I found myself a few times that when I needed to all of sudden stop the car (after driving for a while without using brakes) it would barely work. I mean, there was a noticeable force, but not as much. ABS would kick in after a while, like half way down from say 65 mph. When I checked the brakes and discovered green pads, I did a test. I took the car after night and drove on empty old freeway, got to 70 mph and hit the brakes and held almost till full stop. That was the very first time brakes were working after overnight. Stopping distance was not impressive.
I repeated the test. The second time it was much stiffer, the pedal feel was much nicer, and ABS would kick in much sooner.
Third time was even better, and so the other 3, after which I gave up on further tests.

Overall, they worked great, but needed to be "preheated" to perform nicely.
On sudden stops in winter time, I was not so confident.

Hence, as I was saying - there is a sacrifice.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't imagine, that even selecting top notch pads at AutoZone (etc) would yield unfavorable braking results, unless you come off the race track with rotors glowing red. Do you install your own pads? Or have it done elsewhere with the rotor surface machined smooth? Gunna change the brake fluid?
I'll install the pads myself, but I'm not going to replace the brake fluid. I'm not going to touch the rotors.
Thx

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'll install the pads myself, but I'm not going to replace the brake fluid. I'm not going to touch the rotors.
Thx
Well then with the mo'ey you save on DIY - it's just a matter of what you want to spend. I like those Wagner thermo-quiet with the grooves across the brake pad material. On your DIY - do you put on the brake pad gel to the rear of the pad so they can't squeal?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well then with the mo'ey you save on DIY - it's just a matter of what you want to spend. I like those Wagner thermo-quiet with the grooves across the brake pad material. On your DIY - do you put on the brake pad gel to the rear of the pad so they can't squeal?
I do not put anything on the back of the pads. Most of the time they already have anti-squeal/skim plates on the back so no need for that. Just I clean and lube mount bolts and any contact points of the pads and calipers if need be.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I learnt not to put grease on exposed parts (except inside the pins/sliders) as grease attracts dust and all kind of junk making it jelly like and actually cause the pads not to slide as easily as if it was clear. Rust, if any, will chip off under pressure, while grease will stick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I find the OEM brakes to be pretty much ideal on both the F5 and also on my Sorento. The F5 brakes are slightly touchy when hitting the brake pedal quickly but that is probably due to the powerful booster, not the brake equipment at the wheels. At 120k I changed out my front pads on the Sorento and the rotors were still perfect. I used Bosch Quiet Cast pads costing only $36 and they perform exactly the same as the original pads. No noise, no dust, and perfect fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts