Warrant woes.what should I do?

• another option?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after much research I have narrowed down my search to between the Mazda3 GT Hatch and the Forte5 SXT.....both a great cars, with great forums and vendors, but ultimately I went towards value and fun.

I found a fully loaded Aurora black 2015 F5 on Carmax in PA and it is currently being transferred to GA where I am and I am crossing my fingers that it is worth the $400 fee to transport it.

My question for you has to do with the warranty. Since I am the 2nd owner, and the car has 9k miles, My warranty will drop from the 10yr/100 to the 5 yr/60k or rather 4yr/50k.

The price of the car is $19,000 and the only other deaer with one on their lot new in GA, wants 23k as their lowest price (but they tack on close of $1400 of dealership fees, taxes an additional $1400)....The Carmax OTD price is just over 20k then comes the Maxcare warranty.

With the Maxcare, I can cover it up to 100k or to 150k (which I'm leaning towards) and it will cost me $1700 for the warranty at a deductible of $300 if I ever use it.

I dont know much about these Kia's but know the GDI-T engine is untested with high mileage, and have read threads about the LED taillight assemblies going bad fast . I think if I ever need engine repair the $2000k I put down will save my ass.

Do you think the warranty is a good idea or should I ride the 5r/60k I am in and save the $2000k for a repair in the future?

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
521 Posts
How much are you going to mod it?

If it were me and I was going to do lots of motor mods I would save my money.
Or if you plan on selling it before the 60k is up.

But if you plan on keeping it long term, don't plan on doing extensive modding, and feel more comfortable knowing you're covered them go for it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
How much are you going to mod it?

If it were me and I was going to do lots of motor mods I would save my money.
Or if you plan on selling it before the 60k is up.

But if you plan on keeping it long term, don't plan on doing extensive modding, and feel more comfortable knowing you're covered them go for it.
Agree. I would just stay with the Kia 5 yr/60K if something is going to happen it will be sooner then later. jmo

Reactions: schizorazgriz

·
Registered
468 Posts
So some of the of the issues you bring up are valid.. on the Forte 5.
as the car first came out in 2014.. any one cresting the 100k mark would not be a good study in how a car hold up.. as its a care with excessive mileage. now the 1.6 tgdi has had some issues in the early build Velosters .. But stock motors going boom or failing early on the forte has not been an issue.. as the ecu controlling our cars is tuned differently and Hyundai has been quietly upgrading the motor year after year.. to make it stronger..
the other issue you brought up is the failing Led tail lamps.. this issue seems to only be an issue with the koups.. the hatch back don't seems to have the problem.. ( im Sure someone will say it had that issue..) but its mostly the koups
should you get a warranty.. I would say yes if you are keeping it stock.

but if you are going to put parts on your don't buy the warranty. Kia and car max will just shut you down fast.. you can listen to people say car max or kia have to prove the after market part caused the problem.. but on the ground level.. they just flat out refuse to honor the warranty and say its the aftermarket parts fault.. and then you have to fight to get it fixed.
I have a 2015 forte 5 sx Manuel I have 33000 miles and have been running tunes and aftermarket parts of all sorts.. first thing I can tell you is the car if taken care of is no glass tiger.. put full synthetic oil in the car as soon as you can.. change it 3500 or fewer miles.. and make sure you do proper warm up and cool down of your turbo.. your car should run fine.. and if you plan to put a lot of miles on it remember that all GDI motors have carbon build up on there intake valves.. its design flaw built in to the technology.. ( simple answer.. no fuel ever touches the intake valves.. but all cars have pcv system that recirculates unburned fuel and oil and soot back in to the motor.. this stuff in gdi motors gets caked on to the valves and needs to be cleaned by taking the car to the shop shop for a service.. every 30k or so.. the only solution is to run oil catch cans)

so short answer.. get the warranty if you are going to remain stock..
if your mod your car.. your going to be fighting to keep that warranty.

And use full synthetic oil

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off, thanks for taking the time to respond. Intend to keep the ECU and turbo stock but me upgrade the bov and will definitely install catch cans. I can always go back to stock before going through a dealership with those two items. I do intend to make this car my daily driver and put what would qualify as excessive miles on it. My last car Honda Honda Fit had a hundred and forty-five thousand and was running really well I could have made it to 200000 with minimal maintenance hoping for similar reliability

·
Registered
445 Posts
My last car was a Mazda 626 MT and I took that to 338K miles and I have every intention of doing the same to this little firecracker. Change that oil with full synthetic and a good filter (OEM to appease the zealots on here... ;) ) every 3K miles and it will last a good long while. I drive a shit ton of miles and I'll be writing about the longevity over 100K miles in a few years... :) These are fun little reliable cars and should hold up long term. I'm not a big extended warranty guy, but you might be well served paying the extra $ to get it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
They're asking too much especially with that ridiculous $300 deductible. If you're really worried find a credit union that offers Route 66. 5years/100k for $1395 with no deductible. Also offers rental car coverage.
https://www.penfed.org/Route-66-Extended-Warranty/

But I would just get by with the Kia warranty. It's still a practically new car. Even where you're at used you've still got better coverage than others brand new. If it's proving to be an unreliable car around 50k, just sell it. Don't throw $2k at something that might happen. Throw that in an emergency car fund instead.

If you plan to keep any car with a GDI engine for a long time, plan on several carbon build up treatments, even with running the catch cans.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I'd stay with KIA warranty.

Let's face it.
If something is really wrong with the car, you have almost 4 years to learn about it. It is unlikely for all engines to fail after 5.5 years of use or just after reaching 65,000 miles, right?
So, if things are wrong, they will start coming out during warranty period.

Then, either sell it while still within warranty (value is much higher) or get extension at that time. Now is too early to say.

I got mine used and not certified.
I have 45 months and 49,000 miles to find out what is this car worth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
so I purchased the car today.....the warranty ended up being $1300 with a $300 deduct ($250 if I take it their carmax service center).....

I noted some flaking on the alloys, which they said they'll call be back in to see if they can do anything about it....will also call a few kia dealerships to see what's up.....very odd, flaking around the lug sockets and center cap (see pic [/ATTACH] 20160330_194817.jpg 20160330_194829.jpg

I'm bummed about the rims, but the car is exception inside and out except for a smell reminiscent of an old musty antique store run by a cigar smoker who hotboxes his F5 with Items in his car....lol

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry about that last massive photo....not sure how that happened or what to do to avoid it in the future....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is than an SX? If so, those wheels have been painted (poorly) by someone. You might be able to push Carmax to get them refurbished.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Is than an SX? If so, those wheels have been painted (poorly) by someone. You might be able to push Carmax to get them refurbished.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Riceboyler is correct, they've been painted and its starting to flake off. Might be your first warranty claim... :D

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I agree. The have same shape as standard SX rim. Colour underneath the silver coat seems to be gray. If the coating was flaking, you would see silver alloy... not dark metal.
Hence, as others, I believe they were painted...

Act stupid and simply report it to KIA or Carmax.
If none works, claim it back to place of purchase that car was modified and they did not notify you about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts