Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Koup, my avatar, is driven from Waxahachie, Texas to Port Aransas, Texas on Friday - no problems. 6 hour trip each way. Return driving on I-35 at 75 mph, speed limit, when the engine quits. Engine light is on. pulled over to the shoulder. after 10-15 minutes the car will start. I drive off. The engine stalls and quits again after several miles. Engine light is on. I pull over for a longer time while I arrange towing with KIA road service and visit with a Texas Highway Patrolman who is checking on me. I start the car again, engine light is off, I cancel the tow and drive home. Car makes it home. The last time a car acted this way, a VW Jetta, it was a fuel pump trying to fail. It did thin a few times and then quit for good. The car is a 2014 Koup SX I bought new in January, 11, 450 miles. Is this a fuel pump or what? Anybody else have such an adventure? :confused:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Any mods?

CEL was on at what point?

Is it stick or automatic?
And how did it die? Like ignition off (all lights went off) or like no petrol, but ignition remained on?

After restart no CEL?

Of course any codes would be good to read...

Some suffer from fuel starvation, but that applies to higher speeds, high loads so I do not think kinking fuel lines are your problem. Besides, engine would get weaker, not die.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PLP: No mods, straight stock, it's auto, no fuel, electrics on at stop, last restart no CEL. I was lucky I got it home. Took the car to Southwest KIA in Dallas, TX this morning. I was half right about the fuel pump.. The Turbo Koups have two fuel pumps. The GDI high pressure pump (at the engine) was shorting out internally. Code P0087. They had the part. They replaced the GDI high pressure pump under warranty. Car runs as great as ever. Great dealership. Thanks so much for the replies.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out and thank you for providing an update on what the problem was.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
no fuel, electrics on at stop, last restart no CEL.
that would be very helpful as it seemed like an electrical problem

The GDI high pressure pump (at the engine) was shorting out internally. Code P0087.
Awesome job. Quick and professional.

Thanks for reporting back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts