Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
In terms of market activity, 2 door coupes "don't sell". GTI's, Kia Koups, 2 door NEONs, Chevy Cobalt, Ford focus 2 drs - et.al. I was happy to grab my KOUP.
Honda Civic, mini cooper and Fiat are some of the only 2dr left...............

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sports cars in general aren't selling well. The idea of a "sports car" as we know it has morphed into what modern technology can accomplish - which is making really decent power in normal cars like the hatchbacks and sedans. The coupe as a whole, sports car or not, is almost completely dead except for pony cars like the Camaro, Mustang and high end sports cars that car companies don't rely on to keep them afloat (Corvette, Hellcat Challenger, etc.)

Fact of the matter is, the Econo-Car has caught up to what once was considered elite territory for sub $30K sports cars 15-20 years ago. I.E. the Integra Type R was 200 hp and less torque than that. However, due to it's modern construction back then, it was in a league of it's own when it came to it's sports car status . But, pretty much anything you buy these days matches the power and weight of the old Type R's...and even in a lot of circumstances the suspension is just as good these days even on your more "pedestrian" vehicles.

It's the technology that's gotten cheaper and more factories being equipped to cheaply produce all of these components. I mean, did any of us ever think that back in 1999 that a Camry would ever be able to out run and possibly even out handle a Type R? No way. But today - it's very very possible that a modern Camry can out perform a 1999 Type R in which the Type R is still widely considered one of the Pinnacles of affordable econo-car performance even to this day.

People don't want coupes any longer - yes, young folks do, but young folks don't buy enough cars at the 25,000 dollar price range to sustain a market. Just ask the Toyota 86. Fantastic car. But it's way down on power and it generally sells the best with the under 25 crowd. Again, the under 25 crowd just doesn't buy enough cars in this price range mainly due to affordability to their demographic. That's why you see late 20's all the way up to 40 year old's all cruising in WRX's, ST's, and other sports sedans. You get the same if not better performance as coupes, more room, and around the same price range. It's a no brainer for most car manufacturers to pour most of the R&D into hatches and sedans -- and given that KIA is not nearly as big of a company as most of the current car manufacturers in America. It also explains why the Stinger was turned into a 4 door sport sedan. I was a little puzzled as why KIA did this - but with reading about sports car sales in America a few weeks ago, especially coupes, it makes complete sense now why KIA nixed the Forte Koup.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is interesting to me. I have heard of no such thing about discontinuing the koup. Kia should have sent me something about this and they have not. I will look into this but all my tech data states that there will be in fact a koup still. However I guess they could have changed their minds and pulled the plug but I'll try to confirm since this is the first of me hearing about this.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well I was blindsided by this all my training and spec sheets talk about the koup. But I check with one of my managers and there has not been any available in the order bank, thus being that they have not gone into production. Bye bye koup....:(

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Coupes did not sell well in America.

Same fate was for Elantra coupe. It was interesting car, sporty look, but did not sell well.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
According to my local dealership the "Forte" in general didnt sell well compared to other Kia models and within the Forte line up the Koup was the least popular. It sucks because they were going somewhere with the design. Great improvements from 1st to 2nd gen! Maybe this means a new 2 door down the road? Or they might be paving the way for the Stinger (I know completely different market)

·
Registered
59 Posts
According to my local dealership the "Forte" in general didnt sell well compared to other Kia models and within the Forte line up the Koup was the least popular. It sucks because they were going somewhere with the design. Great improvements from 1st to 2nd gen! Maybe this means a new 2 door down the road? Or they might be paving the way for the Stinger (I know completely different market)
I agree totally.

I knew already that the Forte5 didn't sell well - but I assumed at the least that the Sedan sold well. But what do you expect when for just another 5-6 grand you can get an Optima? And considering the Optima is one of KIA's best selling cars - it would make sense why the Forte line gets over looked for the RIO or the Optima.

·
Registered
514 Posts
how does the popularity with the GTI hold up so well especially when they cost more than our car?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I agree totally.

I knew already that the Forte5 didn't sell well - but I assumed at the least that the Sedan sold well. But what do you expect when for just another 5-6 grand you can get an Optima? And considering the Optima is one of KIA's best selling cars - it would make sense why the Forte line gets over looked for the RIO or the Optima.
That's exactly what was explained to me, the fact that the Forte and Optima are priced so close (relatively)

That is what it holds. Name. Brand.
Yeah just like Subaru, quality car but the popular name sells them

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
That's exactly what was explained to me, the fact that the Forte and Optima are priced so close (relatively)
Oh no.... Optima is much more expensive.

SX (T-GDI) starts at 30k, Limited would be 37k... while Forte SX is 21, fully loaded - 27.
Rio, especially SX 5-door, is exactly same price as F5-SX. That is weird... of course I would take Forte over Rio for the size at least, not to mention the engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh no.... Optima is much more expensive.

SX (T-GDI) starts at 30k, Limited would be 37k... while Forte SX is 21, fully loaded - 27.
Rio, especially SX 5-door, is exactly same price as F5-SX. That is weird... of course I would take Forte over Rio for the size at least, not to mention the engine.
I'm speaking of the lower base model Optimas. That's my fault for not clarifying. The LX Optima is the same price as the Forte5 SX at around 23K without the tech package. The LX-T is only 25K. (these are 2016 model prices. I'm sure the 2017's are a bit higher, but shouldn't be by much).

If people aren't interested in the SX Forte then those same people aren't going to be interested in a SX trim Optima either. Or Turbo for that matter. Unless the turbo comes with the cheaper car, most of these people could care less about it. Again, this is the same demographic that may buy the RIO as well, which is also not turbo charged. And the RIO starts off at around 16K for the base.

·
Registered
514 Posts
its just so unfair how they get so much more torque. such a huge advantage!
makes me wanna call it quits with the forte and just get a mustang gt 400lbs torque would spank the gti!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sales figures don't show that at all. Forte is actually the top selling Kia now that it had its best month ever in March with 10,289 sold. The Optima sold 10,204, Soul had 8,426, Sorento 7,751, Sportage 5,560, Niro 2,704, Sedona, 2,111, Rio 1,246.
Just the majority of them are sedans.
Kia Forte Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

·
Registered
827 Posts
The KIA.com website did not show a 2017 KOUP when the other models in the lineup were showing 2016/2017 model updates. Yet KIA Canada shows a 2017 KOUP - which is no different than 2016.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah just like Subaru, quality car but the popular name sells them
I'll just say it: The Golf and GTI actually drive WORLDS better than these Kia's, even in base trim. Zero road feel to carve a turn properly, feeling every freaking bump and crevice in the floorboards, even more trying while trying to make a curve and steering wheel play, vertically like a car with 100k with bad control arms and mine has less than 3k on it. Then there's the crap clutch and linkage, random levels of turbo lag and lumpy acceleration, I figured 3 years into the 2nd generation this stuff would be all sorted out but instead I'm left with all kinds of disappointed and a huge car payment that is depressing... The 3 way steering is 100% pointless, they are appealing to gadget seekers with no sense of driving feel it's pathetic. :(

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
But anyone wanting, recommending, replacing a totalled KOUP, leasing or duplicating a KOUP purchase -- there is a hefty selection in Southern California at Glendale KIA - available in SX and EX trim - until they sell down the existing inventory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts