Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently hit a cat and the cat did some damage to the plastic mounting tabs and sort of left my driver side fog light hanging.
so i decided to take off the fog light and was going to fix it. in the mist of planning to custom my stock air box, i had an idea of
running something like a flex hose from the fog light hole to the stock air box. i've read from other car forums where people have
had success with this mod on their cars provided the design and install were done properly.
Me, i don't mind losing the fogs as i never use them anyways but i could just fix it and put it back on too.

i also wondered, has anyone thought about cutting out the red areas especially the middle CF bar for better air flow especially to the IC?
i know it would require some cutting but wouldn't it make some difference in temps?
1.jpg
2.jpg

these pictures are the view inside with the airbox out. i left the light in the same position so that the empty spaces can be seen.
there is a good amount of space to work with. i took pictures following it down to the fog light hole to give you all a good idea.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

the red circle is about where i would cut a hole, install a plastic port, adhseive, and simply just attach a hose to with clamps.
this will be before the filter too so no worries with that. perhaps the only thing might be water if too much were to get into it.
8.jpg

where you see the funnel is about where the hose would run through to attach to the stock box.
9.jpg
10.jpg

i can use the existing fog light cover to keep it neat and attach the hose to the hole.
with the right parts from a home improvement store, this doesn't seem too hard.
11.jpg
12.jpg

All in all a lot of stuff mentioned, what do you guys think?
nothing is set in stone yet so really just a discussion about it for now.

·
Registered
827 Posts
15ForteSX - all kinds of car/truck forums will find people using "other holes" to route various hoses to their OEM airboxes with holes drilled in, pipes attached, things bypassed etc etc
If you're so inclined, it's YOUR car, the worst thing is you have to restore to OEM airbox if you get no results.
Cutting out all the front end fascia would lead to a damaged intercooler with rocks and things - airflow would increase, but that could be fugly and risk damage; even from cats.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
15ForteSX - all kinds of car/truck forums will find people using "other holes" to route various hoses to their OEM airboxes with holes drilled in, pipes attached, things bypassed etc etc
If you're so inclined, it's YOUR car, the worst thing is you have to restore to OEM airbox if you get no results.
Cutting out all the front end fascia would lead to a damaged intercooler with rocks and things - airflow would increase, but that could be fugly and risk damage; even from cats.
repairing the hole wouldn't be as problematic as what you said about rocks and things damaging whats inside good point.
i kind of visioned it to look more like the front of the veloster and not just a open space. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Any water pickup? Rainy day, highway, puddles... A baffle would be in place.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Is it possible to remove that area you mentioned in the beginning circles in red and use a mesh wire? I know there usually upper aftermarket grills but don't think there are any lower ones on the market, it would have to be a DIY

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Any water pickup? Rainy day, highway, puddles... A baffle would be in place.
can you explain? you explain things well when you get all detailed. :)

Is it possible to remove that area you mentioned in the beginning circles in red and use a mesh wire? I know there usually upper aftermarket grills but don't think there are any lower ones on the market, it would have to be a DIY
i would need to cut through that bar i think. i need to really look at it from behind or off the car first.
it will leave a small scar but with the mesh in place it shouldn't be that noticable.
with the mouth cut open this is sort of the direction i was leaning.
i was thinking of two way:
either run a flat segment of mesh through a slit that i make inside the bumper
or curve the edges up of a segment of mesh to conform the outer edges (ive done this before)
but what worries me is if it gets pushed in say with a kick of a foot.
running it flat and tight might be better but i gotta figure out how to adhere it without putting holes in the bumper heh.

·
Registered
827 Posts
repairing the hole wouldn't be as problematic as what you said about rocks and things damaging whats inside good point.
i kind of visioned it to look more like the front of the veloster and not just a open space. thanks for the input.
15ForteSX - to avoid a plastic surgery disaster on your front fascia, consider cutting and using some software (like PAINT or something) and CAD/CAM (so to speak) your vision for a mesh grill or something. Don't want to end up with a cosmetic nightmare. Doodle around with some software and then decide before you cut the car up.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
15ForteSX - to avoid a plastic surgery disaster on your front fascia, consider cutting and using some software (like PAINT or something) and CAD/CAM (so to speak) your vision for a mesh grill or something. Don't want to end up with a cosmetic nightmare. Doodle around with some software and then decide before you cut the car up.
good looking out however i don't know how to use that stuff. i can barely use paint program and it does a terrible job lol.
i don't see myself cutting the bumper yet. i would need to take it off and examine behind it to decide how i will do it.
with the use of a grinder and dremel tools it wouldn't be hard to pull it off. i've grilled out a bumper once before.
maybe ill try to fab up a picture with what i have in mind if i can make it look right.

as far as the fog lights, i've decided i will remove the other fog light and grill out the fog light holes first on both sides.
those fog lights have some weight to them! but besides that, i really dont use the fog lights anyway.
i've had the car for little over a year and turned the fogs on for the first time like 2 days ago lol.
afterwards, i will start to get materials and try different things for the fog light air intake mod.
besides this, i am doing the custom air box mod anyways.
i'm talking with trdtoy from the veloster forum to get just the intake pipe and i can do the rest.

·
Registered
827 Posts
good looking out however i don't know how to use that stuff. i can barely use paint program and it does a terrible job lol.
i don't see myself cutting the bumper yet. i would need to take it off and examine behind it to decide how i will do it.
with the use of a grinder and dremel tools it wouldn't be hard to pull it off. i've grilled out a bumper once before.
maybe ill try to fab up a picture with what i have in mind if i can make it look right.

as far as the fog lights, i've decided i will remove the other fog light and grill out the fog light holes first on both sides.
those fog lights have some weight to them! but besides that, i really dont use the fog lights anyway.
i've had the car for little over a year and turned the fogs on for the first time like 2 days ago lol.
afterwards, i will start to get materials and try different things for the fog light air intake mod.
besides this, i am doing the custom air box mod anyways.
i'm talking with trdtoy from the veloster forum to get just the intake pipe and i can do the rest.

If you can dremel, cut, grind, fabricate, measure, fit, customize etc etc - GO FOR IT. Reveal the plans and keep up your generous disposition with photos (your photos are very good) on your custom airbox mods.
I switched off my traction control after reading your mod list!! Didn't exactly do anything in dry weather.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If you can dremel, cut, grind, fabricate, measure, fit, customize etc etc - GO FOR IT. Reveal the plans and keep up your generous disposition with photos (your photos are very good) on your custom airbox mods.
I switched off my traction control after reading your mod list!! Didn't exactly do anything in dry weather.
ill do my best thanks and yeah ill take pictures along the way. i got the airbox intake mod idea from trdtoy and the xenon element website.
https://xenonelement.net/b/all.html
the extra pipe from the fog hole to the box is the part that will be experimental but from what i'm reading everywhere it seems to have some effect.
i think its worth investigating considering its such low budget project anyways.
i can imagine getting to the bumper cutting when i have reasons to remove the IC.
the IC is another thread story cause man i didn't know we could mod these.
there is even the ORHP that mates with the modded IC this is wonderful!
i'm guessing maybe the bumper has to come off to get to the IC?
if not, then at some point i will tackle it one day and remove it for inspection and analysis.
as far as traction control make sure to do the 2 step process.
press/depress once to disable traction and then press/hold until you hear the chime to disable stability control.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
can you explain? you explain things well when you get all detailed. :)
sometimes I get too detailed and the message gets lost. :)

Anyway, having intake this low and basically wide open to the atmosphere makes it prone to pickup water. Or snow.
If your cone filter will be directly behind, it will be soaked wet when you get stuck behind a semi on highway on a rainy day. Make it snow, and things get even worse.

Dodge Challenger (hellcat - or whatever they call it) has an intake in front headlight. If you looked into its air box it has many twists and turn to avoid water suction.
That is the case with your approach.

Always think of the worst case scenario. One thing you will not be able to do - drive through water that would be deeper than 3". Ground clearance for F5 is I think 5.5". Once you get to 4" of water - the splash from tires will make a wave in front of the car that will be picked up by the bumper. Once this happens, it might flood your opening. At low engine speed it will not kill you right away... just will take some time to dry (meaning a few WOT).

So, going back to rain and semi.

You would need a baffle, a cover that would be between the hole and the cone in the direct flow. If it was me, I would create like a box down there. A box that has a drain in case water is picked up, but would have a screen stopping bigger water droplets from reaching the cone. Water must collide with the baffle and then drip to the box. But you cannot leave a small gap in there, because air will accelerate and with turbulent flow will pick up water you just stopped.
Air is a fluid, but it is gas. Water is a fluid, but it is liquid - just some terms.

Or, a large box in there so that air slows down and water is separated by gravitation. However, the cone must be a few inches higher than the opening.
I do not know how much room is there... but when I am thinking of it, that would be the best option I guess.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
sometimes I get too detailed and the message gets lost. :)

Anyway, having intake this low and basically wide open to the atmosphere makes it prone to pickup water. Or snow.
If your cone filter will be directly behind, it will be soaked wet when you get stuck behind a semi on highway on a rainy day. Make it snow, and things get even worse.

Dodge Challenger (hellcat - or whatever they call it) has an intake in front headlight. If you looked into its air box it has many twists and turn to avoid water suction.
That is the case with your approach.

Always think of the worst case scenario. One thing you will not be able to do - drive through water that would be deeper than 3". Ground clearance for F5 is I think 5.5". Once you get to 4" of water - the splash from tires will make a wave in front of the car that will be picked up by the bumper. Once this happens, it might flood your opening. At low engine speed it will not kill you right away... just will take some time to dry (meaning a few WOT).

So, going back to rain and semi.

You would need a baffle, a cover that would be between the hole and the cone in the direct flow. If it was me, I would create like a box down there. A box that has a drain in case water is picked up, but would have a screen stopping bigger water droplets from reaching the cone. Water must collide with the baffle and then drip to the box. But you cannot leave a small gap in there, because air will accelerate and with turbulent flow will pick up water you just stopped.
Air is a fluid, but it is gas. Water is a fluid, but it is liquid - just some terms.

Or, a large box in there so that air slows down and water is separated by gravitation. However, the cone must be a few inches higher than the opening.
I do not know how much room is there... but when I am thinking of it, that would be the best option I guess.
would your opinion change if i didnt use a cone filter and instead use the stock air box with the drop in filter?
if you check out the pics you can see there is tons of room at the bottom so i could do a coil with the flex pipe before routing to the airbox.
i sort of understand the baffle idea but i dont have a vision for it just yet. i may need to do some research on using a baffle in this situation.
my intake will be the stock airbox with 3.5in outlet mod and will have a 3.5 aluminum intake pipe going from there.
i'm also going to put a grill mesh over the fog light holes. i appreciate your input so far. i'm still brain storming ideas so any help is appreciated.

quick question, is it necessary to seal off any small thin openings where air can escape on the stock airbox during WOT?
just upon close inspection there seems to be many spots around the stock airbox where this is possible.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I could have missed something with your plan... :D

would your opinion change if i didnt use a cone filter and instead use the stock air box with the drop in filter?
depends...

my intake will be the stock airbox with 3.5in outlet mod and will have a 3.5 aluminum intake pipe going from there.
i'm also going to put a grill mesh over the fog light holes. i appreciate your input so far. i'm still brain storming ideas so any help is appreciated.
Go even wider if you can. The intake itself will be about 4" wide from the fog, right? Make it wider (as wide as possible) upstream to limit air flow restrictions. 4" may seem huge, but once you tune, or start thinking of making more power...
Also, the wide intake will allow the air to go so slow that all dirt and water that could have been picked up will be dropped.

Mesh - I used gutter steel mesh covers on the front grille. That would be enough to limit access of larger objects.

quick question, is it necessary to seal off any small thin openings where air can escape on the stock airbox during WOT?
just upon close inspection there seems to be many spots around the stock airbox where this is possible.
during WOT you create vacuum in the lines. Nope, you do not need to worry about any leaks, unless they are huge or they are AFTER the filter. Before the filter even a small gap will not give you much of flow. Maybe 2%... And that only means it will be a bit warmer air than straight in the pipe.

·
Registered
468 Posts
keeping the hole in your fog light area should be fine.. just give it a place to escape.. by cutting a vent in the fender for flow . if you don't.. you basically making on big air brake that will slow your down.. as for cutting a hole in the center plate.. you can. but the bumper is behind it.. so its not getting your much.. there is a smaller bumper replacement that offed by 6th element.. to alow more air flow.. but just some food for thought.. cutting hole in your car makes a lot of drag.. that can really make your car go slower.. actually covering up holes will make your car faster at speed.. less drag.. its a long topic.. but the factory grills and bumpers are pretty clean and allow tones of air

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
keeping the hole in your fog light area should be fine.. just give it a place to escape.. by cutting a vent in the fender for flow . if you don't.. you basically making on big air brake that will slow your down.. as for cutting a hole in the center plate.. you can. but the bumper is behind it.. so its not getting your much.. there is a smaller bumper replacement that offed by 6th element.. to alow more air flow.. but just some food for thought.. cutting hole in your car makes a lot of drag.. that can really make your car go slower.. actually covering up holes will make your car faster at speed.. less drag.. its a long topic.. but the factory grills and bumpers are pretty clean and allow tones of air
good idea on the vent and the drag. with the passenger side being just a hole, i will run piping on that side that will vent the air out.
the driver side will be used for the air to intake. when you say the bumper do you mean like a metal tie bar running horizontally behind the CF bar?
i thought ive seen these bars that they would install on the VT that you could see through the aftermarket grill they installed.
do you have a link to the 6th element bumper replacement? with regards to the cutout in the center and the drag, i thought about installing vents on the hood.
if i dont do that i was thinking to at least remove the liner thats under the hood and install a few washers to raise the hood for ventilation to assist with the drag.
instead of a grill mesh, i wish i could get the angled fins like on the veloster or the aftermarket one that they have too.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Having those two big holes one could think of engine bay vent...
Not really a scoop, but some vents near the end of the hood.

·
Registered
468 Posts
good idea on the vent and the drag. with the passenger side being just a hole, i will run piping on that side that will vent the air out.
the driver side will be used for the air to intake. when you say the bumper do you mean like a metal tie bar running horizontally behind the CF bar?
i thought ive seen these bars that they would install on the VT that you could see through the aftermarket grill they installed.
do you have a link to the 6th element bumper replacement? with regards to the cutout in the center and the drag, i thought about installing vents on the hood.
if i dont do that i was thinking to at least remove the liner thats under the hood and install a few washers to raise the hood for ventilation to assist with the drag.
instead of a grill mesh, i wish i could get the angled fins like on the veloster or the aftermarket one that they have too.

here is the link for the crash bar replacement

Kia Forte SX Front Crossmember

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys i will be doing this in the future but will currently wait for when i need to remove the bumper.
i was thinking about getting the turbosx BOV so i can install that while the bumper is off.
also i was thinking of cleaning the intercooler while the bumper is off.
and while the bumper is off i will be examining it, take detailed pictures of the bumper, so i can plan on the cuts.
also when the bumper is off, i will remove the passenger fog light and by this time will have grills for the fog holes.
i will need to shop around the home improvement stores for the mesh grill too.
i may do the washers on the hood to raise it and remove the liner in the meantime prior to these.
also need to save up some monies $$ :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 38 Posts