Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... have been "preparing" financially and emotionally for tune.
Almost all is ready, but... and the but is E85.

I came across a story of very good results of E85 tune. Seems like it may need a bit more input (meaning parts), but it is far safer than 91/93 petrol. Ethanol can deal with detonation, it is more "flexible" with change of AFR. However, is not easy to ignite in cold weather (below freezing).
Also, is less expensive than petrol. It is about 30% less than 87, what means it about 40% or even 50% (depending on a day) less expensive than 93 (at least in my area).
Sure, you need more ethanol than petrol to get same power. Yet, offset is about 20-30%. That makes even with 87 prices.

So the question is - HOW?

Anyone, please?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don't even know if E85 is readily available in my area. All I know is from what I see on Youtube and these guys who run E85 are pushing 400-500WHP. Mainly they're stripped out, full on race cars for the streets.

Is your impetus to go with E85 price?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your impetus to go with E85 price?
No, not so much... but that sounds like cheaper power (on the long run).
According to different sources newer cars are ethanol ready, so they do not need any new parts. Others still say fuel lines should be replaced.

You see, ethanol burns cleaner, is safer (detonation) and much cheaper. Plus if you want to throw a party, you simply drain some from a tank. lol
I used to drive a car powered by LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas). It was a mixture of propane and butane. I am not sure what proportions, though. I think more into butane than propane.
Car would drink more, sure, but would be much cleaner from tailpipe. Plus it was about 50% of the cost to run on LPG vs petrol.

Now, with E85, to get more power, one might need to put larger injectors, larger fuel lines, and of course fuel pump. Sure, investments.
On the other hand, different maps for AFR and you basically running on E85 with stock and possibly more power for cheaper.

From chemistry point of view, ethanol has oxygen molecule in itself. That is needed for combustion process. That is one of the reasons it is less restrictive when it comes to AFR. If you have E90 or E70 - it will still run safely, not like you put 93 and then 89 because 93 was not there...

So does it push me there? Well, why not explore the area?
I am afraid, though, no one will say anything as if the tuners (6th and Tork) had ever done anything in this area, we would have known by now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts