Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
My average mileage before the oil change was around 27 mpg. Since the oil change its averaging around 23 mpg. Needless to say its disappointing.
Hello and welcome.

It does not really make much sense - how come oil change would affect your fuel consumption? Unless completely wrong oil was poured in... which I doubt.

I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. I cannot say much how better or worse it is than others as I did not use anything else. However, I can tell you that there is a huge difference especially on cold. Years ago, when I switched to synthetic from mineral, I immediately noticed easier cold start and less fuel use on cold. It took more for the engine to warm up, though. Not a lot, but noticeably longer.

As for your case. Are you sure it does not have to do with your driving style and weather? It got much colder than it was 3 months ago. This car hates cold weather. Fuel consumption is much higher on cold days - the time to get engine to operating temp.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm using PUP 5w30, doing changes at dealership, cuz I dont need to pay for labour and filter, just bringing my own oil and they're OK with that. Normally my dealer is using regular castrol 5w30, which for sure is not A5, so I'm really confused about that oil recommendation and warranty stuff.
In my personal opinion it's always better to use synthetic doesn't matter how you drive, and be as close to specifics from book as possible (if it's daily driver).

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hello Everybody,

I'm new to this forum...
bought a 2017 forte5 sx 3 months and I'm hoping to beat the "failure curve" and have this car for 200K+ miles. Had first oil change at 2500 miles to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (5w30) because its one of the few American oils that are rated ACEA A5. My average mileage before the oil change was around 27 mpg. Since the oil change its averaging around 23 mpg. Needless to say its disappointing. I searched e-bay to find Total Quartz 9000 5w30 and inadvertently bought Total Oil Quartz Ineo MC3 5W30 which I learned is rated ACEA A3 (not A5). It cost $43 for 5 quarts so I don't want to toss it, but I don't want to cause engine problems by using the wrong viscosity rated oil. Will ACEA A3 5w30 void my warranty? and will it have any potential harmful side effects?
any feedback will be appreciated!
HOW ON EARTH will ACEA A3 5w30 VOID your warranty? HOW ON EARTH will that oils' viscosity damage your engine sufficient to require warranty repair work?
You live where it's 65 degrees year round and you worry about engine viscosity? If you don't want that oil bring it up to me.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hello and welcome.

It does not really make much sense - how come oil change would affect your fuel consumption? Unless completely wrong oil was poured in... which I doubt.

I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. I cannot say much how better or worse it is than others as I did not use anything else. However, I can tell you that there is a huge difference especially on cold. Years ago, when I switched to synthetic from mineral, I immediately noticed easier cold start and less fuel use on cold. It took more for the engine to warm up, though. Not a lot, but noticeably longer.

As for your case. Are you sure it does not have to do with your driving style and weather? It got much colder than it was 3 months ago. This car hates cold weather. Fuel consumption is much higher on cold days - the time to get engine to operating temp.
PLP is right, the difference in mpgs is related to the action on the right-most pedal, not an oil change.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hello Everybody,

I'm new to this forum...
bought a 2017 forte5 sx 3 months and I'm hoping to beat the "failure curve" and have this car for 200K+ miles. Had first oil change at 2500 miles to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (5w30) because its one of the few American oils that are rated ACEA A5. My average mileage before the oil change was around 27 mpg. Since the oil change its averaging around 23 mpg. Needless to say its disappointing. I searched e-bay to find Total Quartz 9000 5w30 and inadvertently bought Total Oil Quartz Ineo MC3 5W30 which I learned is rated ACEA A3 (not A5). It cost $43 for 5 quarts so I don't want to toss it, but I don't want to cause engine problems by using the wrong viscosity rated oil. Will ACEA A3 5w30 void my warranty? and will it have any potential harmful side effects?
any feedback will be appreciated!
even though i don't have catch cans yet!? lol get them or vent to atmosphere as i plan to do soon.
besides reaching 200k, these engines have big issues with the blowby reintroduced back into the engine causing carbon buildup and blowing up our engines.
this from veloster turbo forum but we share the same engines and unfortunately some of the same problems.
Blown engines...
if you want to learn more about your car start here and then read vt forums which is even more rich in info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank-you for all the feedback. I'm making an effort to allow for a proper warm up. And while I did complain about mpg, I have no complaints about the smooth, zippy, and quiet performance. This morning I stopped in to my local Kia dealer's service department (Stevens Creek Kia) to ask about the Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w30 (ACEA A3). The manager took me into the service area and showed me a huge metal barrel of the exact same oil and told me this what they use when a customer wants synthetic. Going online to learn the difference between ACEA A3 and A5, the only distinction I can see is that A3 emphasizes engine protection whereas A5 combines engine protection with fuel economy. Btw, I'm not an engineer and I'm susceptible to marketing hype.

·
Registered
13 Posts
PS to 15ForteSX, I did have a 6th Element Catch Can installed. I emptied it for the first time a couple weeks ago and it had accumulated about 2 ounces of oil. Since I drove about 1000 miles a month that comes out to about 2/3 of an once of oil per month. That surprised me since this car is new. Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

The above gobblygook was an attempt to upload an image of the catch can ...

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Welcome and nice to see another cali turbo!

Biggest thing you need to do to stay in warranty is stay with stock oil filters and make sure you keep and copy any recite for oil that you buy and mark down the millage. I run Motul oil in mine but I am far beyond warranty lol!

·
Registered
402 Posts
My MPG has increased just a-little more. I have 15K on the car now and it's been running synthetic oil since I change it at about 900 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dead thread is dead. Sad.

I just got my first oil change on my 2018 Forte5 SX. But I think I screwed up.

I used Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic and a Valvoline filter. Then I learned MaxLife is ACEA 3. You probably know, ACEA 5 is recommended.

I don't drive much, only on weekends. Maybe thirty miles. Planning on changing oil every three months. My question is: will running the MaxLife for a few hundred miles be ok or should I go ahead and drain and fill with PUP?

Also, how important is using an OEM oil filter?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oil recommendations are there to help combat issues that have been observed in the past. You will probably be fine for a little while. If you take it easy on the car it'll be less likely a problem will occur. So, up to you really.
For the oil filters, I cant say from personal experience but apparently OEM filters are required. They are cheap enough that I've never bought anything else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oil recommendations are there to help combat issues that have been observed in the past. You will probably be fine for a little while. If you take it easy on the car it'll be less likely a problem will occur. So, up to you really.
For the oil filters, I cant say from personal experience but apparently OEM filters are required. They are cheap enough that I've never bought anything else.
True. I went by the Kia dealer and picked up some filters the other day. I'm going to baby the car for a couple months until the next change.

I only drive about twenty-fifty miles on the weekends.

·
Registered
532 Posts
True. I went by the Kia dealer and picked up some filters the other day. I'm going to baby the car for a couple months until the next change.

I only drive about twenty-fifty miles on the weekends.
Sounds like the same usage my car has been getting for the last 2 years. I've been changing the oil yearly at less than 3k miles.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts