Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***DISCLAIMER:***

The following information regarding engine oil recommendations was not created by me; it was created by a member named -X- over at the Veloster Turbo forums who has done a significant amount of research to find out what oil is best for our Gamma 1.6 turbo engines.

I asked for permission from him prior to posting this.

You can find his original thread which targets LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) prevention which affects all turbo GDI motors, not just ours. Feel free to do your research on the subject for the explanation as to why these oils are recommended.

LSPI Risk Minimization Tips and Research

The decision to use whichever oil in your own vehicle is entirely your choice

Owner's Manual Recommended Oil

Total Quartz 9000 5W30

Anti-LSPI Oil

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 *** Ultra Platinum, not just Platinum

PAO and Ester-based Oils

RedLine 5W-40 or 5W-30
Cerma 5W-40 or 5W-30
Cerma X 5W-40 or 5W-30
AMSOIL Signature 5W-30
Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 or 5W-30

Off-the-shelf A5/B5 Specification Oils

Castrol Edge SYNTEC 5W30 ***contains high amounts of magnesium which may cause excess wear on the turbo overtime***

NOT RECOMMENDED OIL

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30 ***there is proof on the VT forums that this oil can cause sludge in our motors... use at your own risk***

Forte Specific Information

The following section was created entirely by me, all photos were taken directly from the owner's manual.

***Please note for this section I only included the "Severe Usage Conditions" - I believe that we purchased a turbo car for a reason and spirited driving is inevitable. I recommend this schedule over the normal one but the choice is yours***

·
Registered
188 Posts
@staak Thanks much for those who dont read or always understand whats in the manual.

Food for thought I work at a kia dealership and our A tec/ head mechanic told me to run mobile 1 in my forte5 with that being said i just wanted to express just because they are a certified dealer does not mean that are always (usually) right...

Thank you all for contributing to the forum!!

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I will get this stickied when I get on my laptop in a few!

·
Registered
171 Posts
My dealer told me that they only use regular conventional oil.... On everything. If anything goes wrong, you get it looked after with warranty... I was like, no thanks, ill bring my own oil...

Any idea where to get ULTRA platinum in Canada? It seems to be rare up here..

·
Registered
580 Posts
try Walmart

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealer told me that they only use regular conventional oil.... On everything. If anything goes wrong, you get it looked after with warranty... I was like, no thanks, ill bring my own oil...

Any idea where to get ULTRA platinum in Canada? It seems to be rare up here..
I contacted Pennzoil about acquiring it locally and I asked why they don't have it in any brick and mortar stores... I'm in Ottawa... And basically got a generic reply saying that it wasn't in demand for the market blah blah blah.

They then gave me the number of a 3rd party distributor only 20 mins from me... I called and they wanted $60 something... Screw that.

I can get 12x 1L bottles of amsoil for $120... Which is what I'm doing.

Unfortunately not Caesar.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sucks ! I got a personal dealer I get the 12 case for 96 or 98 dollars . Check the Amsoil sight for local salesmen

·
Registered
981 Posts
Sucks ! I got a personal dealer I get the 12 case for 96 or 98 dollars . Check the Amsoil sight for local salesmen
That's a good price for a case, I'm a dealer and pay $94 or roughly $7.85 a qt.

·
Registered
580 Posts
He was pretty cool . He said he gets comision or volume . So he sells to all the tuner guys at that price . I'm the only one that gets the a5/b5 stuff lol .

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey guys, question.. What's your coolant temperature at?? 181* normally. Anyone see higher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
210 -215° Highest . Told that's normal lol . Man we need an upgrade ! Mishimoto no love for the gamma motor

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Mine has seen 215 in the summer at a light with a/c on. In winter it's usually at 200 then drops to 170 or so

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ok good thanks guys, I took my rad cap off for 5 seconds yesterday.... I didn't need to do that. But then I was wondering if I have to burp the system or not..

·
Registered
981 Posts
Mine is normally between 185°F and 195°F, highest to date has been 215° and that was after running a few back to back dyno pulls. Part of the reason for higher temps in newer cars is to improve efficiency. Since they are designed to run at a certain temperature range if you were to lower the temp by means of a t-stat you can actually cause premature wear of cylinders and pistons that are by design to be perfectly round at a certain temp range. Lowering temps even 10° would really have a minimal effect performance and in my opinion would only negatively affect fuel mileage.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Ok good thanks guys, I took my rad cap off for 5 seconds yesterday.... I didn't need to do that. But then I was wondering if I have to burp the system or not..
Not from just removing the cap, even after removing the turbo and draining a gallon of the coolant it still didn't need to be burped or bled out.

Reactions: bryanwolfe5

·
Registered
402 Posts
I agree. If you have an A/T maybe think of a very small trans cooler or increase the total vol. of the engine oil capacity if you can. JMO.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm thinking of buying one. I just wanted to make sure the system was likely ok after removing the cap for a few seconds. Not my area of expertise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I run Valvoline SynPower 5w30. Changed out the factory stuff at 180 miles. Almost 800 miles now and hasn't exploded. I plan to change with the same every 3 months.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I run Valvoline SynPower 5w30. Changed out the factory stuff at 180 miles. Almost 800 miles now and hasn't exploded. I plan to change with the same every 3 months.
Woah, 180 miles? That seems a little premature! The break in period for our engines is 1000 miles is it not?

I waited 3500 kms to change the factory oil out, for Rotella T6.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts