Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

ECU tune worth it?

23K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Playwithmymind 
#1 ·
Ok, this may be a dumb question but I have been considering doing it. I have a 2015 Koup. I am leasing it so that's where im not sure if I should go through with it. Worst case scenario is I get the tune, and fuck up the engine or turbo, then im up shit creek right? Even if I got the original ecu put back in before I took it in, they would know? correct? This may be a rehash of another thread but I don't feel like looking through all them. I have the car for another 2.5 years, and would like a little extra oomph..although I like that TC/SC disable trick, its made the car much quicker and fun. Please give me some opinions. I have the automatic transmission btw, and its completely stock.

#2 ·
If you had 2 ecus you will be fine. One with time and other stock. They aren't going to k ow you switched it out. Just keep your stock ecu with the stock program on it and get another with the tune. Tork tunes them on the safe side and if your just looking for a tune for it the stage 1 would be perfect

#3 ·
What's Stage 1 at the crank?

Forte 1.6T Stage 1 Tune | DamnFastDD.com

They say an additional 40WHP so I'm assuming 250 at the crank?

I just learned how to do my first oil change not too long ago;how difficult is it to change the ECU? I've assembled computers before, but that's a small investment compared to a $20k+ car, right?

Unplug battery, take old ECU out, put new ECU in, reconnect battery and start car?

#4 ·
There is 2 ways of doing the ecu. They actually take your ecu you currently have and reprogram it. The 2 ways are. You send it in they do what they do they send it back, but you're without a car until then. Way 2 is they send you a (I assume) stock ecu so you can at least use the car while they reprogram yours and then you guys trade it

The ecu for us for what I have heard is located behind the battery. But yes to wheels it's extra 40 hp and 40 torque. Also they fix a lot of garbage that is currently wrong with the car.

Plus look into the spark plug thread of you have not. Changing them had been night and day difference

#5 ·
I saw a video on the Veloster and the thing ECU unit is HUGE. I was expecting a small CPU sized unit. Reminds me of the old days of the SNES and the big cartridges.

I'll hop on over to the spark plug thread in a bit but I'm guessing it's NKG?

#6 ·
yes it worth it, i wish i had the cash to do it....

#8 ·
The Intercooler Resonator Delete pipe from 6th Element or Tork is an easy mod that is cheap and not really noticeable at first glance. A CAI (cold air intake) or SRI (Short Ram Intake) is pretty easy to switch back if you save the old parts. Both will add 5-10 horses a piece.

#9 ·
You don't need anything. You can tune stock and has been proven to get you to 227whp or more. If you want the best performance then muffler delete, resonator delete, intake to start with

#15 ·
Getting a tune is completely worth it, You will never get the most out of all of the mods that you put on your car without a tune, in fact, you may even lose power. Without a tune your car will not be running the proper Air fuels, target boost numbers, and your mileage will start to plummet. When you throw bolt on's on a car, especially with how advanced and high tech these cars are the ECU starts to freak out and doesnt know how to respond. A tune is just going to maximize your power and optimize your drivability, it is not uncommon to see a large increase in fuel efficiency after a tune.
Tyson

#16 ·
I wish we didn't have to send the ECU in.. I'd like a tune on a spare. Completely understand why it's required and it makes sense. I've been holding off / trying to figure out when's a ok time to go car less for a while. The turn around from Ontario Canada to you and back to me is prob a week, week and a half.

Otherwise I'd be tuned along time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
It is definitely an inconvenience, however to make sure that the tune is true to your car little or no issue it has to be done that way. I mean technically we could sell tunes and just ship out ecu's to you guys, but there is a ton of stuff that wouldnt work including your vehicle immobilizer, which if your car is stolen, will help you out a ton. Is it inconvenient, yes, but it is the best way to do it!
Gina

Reactions: bryanwolfe5
#18 · (Edited)
He's with 845 motorsports, I've been following his posts on the VT forum.

#20 ·
#22 ·
No sorry he's posted under a few different topics. Just look him, same user name.

#23 ·
Actually I'm by myself...lol

Yes I have been working with Kyle, at 845 Motorsports, when I got this car, I wanted to tune it myself and I have put in countless hours to do so,Kyle and I do work together on parts of my project, but it is primarily mine.

I can tune it...

I have a Korean ecu running the car now, and my stock one completely understand touched...in fact I have a Forte tune file running my Veloster Turbo..and it is tuned.

If you look and search my forum user name, you can find and follow what I have accomplished whit this...

And I have all the factory correct tuning calibration for doing the automatic and manual transmission car's. .

#28 ·
You have a pretty penny invested in software, I was hoping to see more of a budget minded software being used. All in good time I suppose but keep up the good work...

Might I suggest getting a back up engine ready. Not that the tuning will cause a problem just weak internals are unpredictable.

Reactions: lephoenix
#31 ·
I know the way my Nissan Titan tune would have worked was the company would send you the flashing software to hook your laptop to the ecu. It creates a file specific to your ecu including your parts you have. You then send the file to them they tune the file then send it back to you to flash your ecu yourself. I believe all together it was around 300 dollars.

Instagram @darth_forte

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.