Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just wanted to get the pot stirring a little bit on a topic. I have a gas station near me that sells 105 octane, 100 octane, E85 ect... They just recently started selling E15. Which I'm sure a lot of you know is a blend of 15% Ethanol compared to the usual 10%. I've see that it would be safe for all cars and light duty trucks 2001 and newer. Would there be benefits and cons if someone like us with our vehicles used the E15?

·
Registered
524 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got ya. I was always curious. I never realy did enough research on things such as this nature. I know there's a station that sells 94 octane and 98 octane 15 min from me, but I never knew if it would be safe to run 94 or 98 in our cars.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. I wouldn't really want to do anything like that unless I had a specific tune for it. I run Sunoco 93 in my car now. Just because I've had boosted cars in the past, and ran 93 in them. Can't complain with the price either for 93 out in my area now anyway!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Safe, sure. But pointless. Manual says right there, designed only for 87 octane unless of course you go and get a tune.
Actually doesn't it say 87 octane or higher? just saying lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was also curious on that as well? Whats the highest we could go on Octane rating, considering it had an ethanol blend of 10%. If there was a 100 octane with 10% ethanol, would we be safe? haha

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was actually talking to the guy who does all the fuel testing and stuff like that on facebook that runs the gas station and he said that with the E15........

"E15 is approved for any vehicle 2001 or newer...I have tested for vehicles as early 90's without any issues. you will be okay on runing E15 and will save money...try it you will love it"

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
It's not on modern cars. 15 years ago maybe but cars now can adjust well to differences in octane. It's not uncommon to see gains when using higher octane fuel.
That's true. Look at the Mustang 5.0. 405hp on 87 and 415-420hp on 91 or higher

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'd stay far away. There's actually a site out there on where to find ethanol free gas. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml
Since ethanol contains about two-thirds as much energy as gasoline, vehicles will typically go 3% to 4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 and 4% to 5% fewer on E15 than on 100% gasoline
Just because it has less potential energy doesn't mean that your car will perform worse. It just means you need a fuel system that can handle the volume. Can ours? Not that I know of for e85. It probably has the capacity for E15 but I don't know that for sure either.
E15 or any higher ethanol should be cheaper so costs could even out. Not sure what the cost differences are for you there though.

But the key difference if your car can handle the capacity is potential to advance timing further.

Maybe one of the tork guys can chime in and see what they've seen.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I still say in any turbo car you should run 91 to avoid knock or the dreaded LSPI. I have only ran 2 tanks of 87 in my car and hated it. Felt more sluggish and idled terrible. I have run 91 since then and mainly now because I am tuned. My SUV says in the manual recommended 89 or 91 but can run on 87 but will result in less power. I was shocked when I found that out so now it only runs on 91 lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't even think about putting E85 in our cars unless tuned for said application. I had just been curious if anyone else had heard of the E15 and if our fuel systems could handle it. It'd be great to hear from someone who has encountered something such as this.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was actually talking to the guy who does all the fuel testing and stuff like that on facebook that runs the gas station and he said that with the E15........

"E15 is approved for any vehicle 2001 or newer...I have tested for vehicles as early 90's without any issues. you will be okay on runing E15 and will save money...try it you will love it"
So do you trust that guy over what the folks that designed and warranty your car say? Ethanol in gas is just a big gov't subsidy. Doesn't belong in there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.