Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must have gotten too close to the curb. I noticed this damage washing the forte yesterday.

Do you think it needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I must have gotten too close to the curb. I noticed this damage washing the forte yesterday.

Do you think it needs to be replaced?

I would love to help you, but photobucket is blocked by IT policy...
could you attach it to the forums server?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ouch that's a nasty chunk.

I've "shaved" a tire before but that one looks pretty deep.

I have no idea how thick the sidewalls are on the stock tires, my bet wouldn't be thick at all.

I would vote to replace it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry to see that, I would replace. One pot hole in the right spot and I'm sure she'll pop.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
So, I was trying to see this picture on the phone.

It is hard to say. While generally I would agree with others to replace the tire, I must add the damage is n the "rim protect" bar.
How deep does it go? Is it flush with the side wall? Is only the rubber rim/bar stripped?
For sure the tire will be a bit softer there. However, if the damage did not penetrate any deeper than surface of the side wall, you might be OK.

On the other hand - if you are spirited driver and like tight quick turns - replace it. Otherwise - see above again.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
That looks pretty deep and especially considering it's on the side wall, the last thing you want is to hit a pit hole and cause a blowout...

I'm sure you could go to your local tire shop and have them inspect it and see what they have to say. Granted they will probably tell you to replace it, lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
^^ You're right, the tire store will likely say "replace, replace." For one thing, their lawyers demand they do the low-risk option.

For another thing, the cost of replacing it is far lower than what could happen, even on a good day, should it pop at the wrong time. Think ruined rim, slide into curb, damaged suspension components...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd say replace. I've seen bad things happen with tires that have damaged sidewalls. Especially if that happens to be on the front end.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm as cheap as they come, but if that blows that could be all manner of bad. Picture your significant other driving with your kids in the back and use that as your guide. ;)
I'd replace it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Guys, do you see any cords? It is it not the side wall that is damaged. At least it does not seem so from the picture.

What was ripped of is the part of the tire that is designed to be ripped off. This piece of rubber is a rim protect. It is not a structure of the side wall. With or without it the tire is same.

Close up of the damage inside would help a lot to asses the need of replacement.

Of course it would be the best to replace it as who knows what happened to the internal layers of the tire, but if the external rim protect rubber was stripped - tire is as good as it was before.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

I found a replacement on wallyworld for $107, another $10 to install. I didn't see any cord but I felt better replacing it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts