Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you rotate your tires? If so at what intervals? Front to back and left to right?

While your at it can someone post/ repost lug nuts torque values?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Every 10,000 KMS. Or more so when I swap from winters to summers and back.

Lug but torque is 85 ft lbs.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Well, there is one thing that was left out here.

The pattern depends on tires you have.

If you have directional tires, none of the staax's patter will work. In this case you simply put front to rear. No crossing.

Honestly, I do not see any good reason why A, B, or C could not be used for all type of drives.
Lets look on C.

If FWD, the front tires will wear mainly from propelling force. Hence, putting them across on rear will only continue the wear in same manner. If they were put on the rear on the same side, then braking force would start cutting the edges to even out the wear.
That is the best noticeable with winter tires.

I think, to even out those edges, left/right should be the pattern.
Just thinking out loud... anyone would other idea?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I did it once to my car and twice to my wife's and they still seem to be wearing the same wether in the front or back

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I ask is the argument for rotating is for even wear. Meaning all 4 tires replaced at the same time. Whereas no rotation the two fronts wear faster so you only buying two tires at a time. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The reason I ask is the argument for rotating is for even wear. Meaning all 4 tires replaced at the same time. Whereas no rotation the two fronts wear faster so you only buying two tires at a time. Thoughts?
Yes, it is for even wear.
If you look closely on your tires, they wear slightly different (front/rear). Depending on your style of driving, tire/thread blocks on rear will develop (will wear) small angles that are directed towards the forward rotation direction. The higher side will be facing front. Think of it as piece of rubber pushed against surface with high friction. Rubber will bend and at some point will loose grip and start sliding. The same under braking and acceleration.

honhon said he did not see it. It is not really to be seen. Rub your palm gently over the face of the tire. Go front and back, (rotation and against). You will feel blocks feel "sharper" when going one way, while smoother the other.
Same can be felt on front (especially when you are heavy on acceleration, but not so much on braking), but it will be opposite direction as rear.

Anyway, rotation is for even wear, but also for less noise.
While it was not a big deal with smaller sizes, when you go to 185 or higher the width of the tire will cause significantly more noise. "Angled", or cupped blocks will create even more noise. Hence, you rotate them to even it out.
Schools are different. Basically, the best option (if not directional tires) is to swap front with rear and swap sides for one of them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Check your car’s owner’s manual for the recommended tire rotation schedule. Most manufacturers recommend that you rotate your tires every 5,000 miles. An easy way to remember to rotate your tires is to do it whenever you change the oil on your car.
Front and rear tires wear differently. For example, the front tires carry more than 60% of your car’s weight; consequently, front tires wear down faster than the rear ones. Also, turning wears the front tires at different rates. In America, we generally take left turns faster than we do right turns. This puts more load on the right front tire which results in the right tire wearing faster than your left. After thousands of miles of driving, you end up with uneven tread wear.
Rotating tires equalizes these natural wear patterns by changing the positions of your tires. By rotating your tires regularly, you’ll ensure yourself a smoother and safer ride. And more importantly (for me at least) you’ll save money in the long run by extending the life of your tires.

Gina

·
Registered
402 Posts
I do / will at 5K miles and check brakes since I'm there.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
In America, we generally take left turns faster than we do right turns. This puts more load on the right front tire which results in the right tire wearing faster than your left.
I enjoy all turns at all speeds. :) lol

I think, though, wear is debatable. If one was to consider a tight right turn vs long faster left turn... I am not sure.

I do / will at 5K miles and check brakes since I'm there.
As for brakes, what I do is to put a pull on the caliper until the piston goes back. Use screwdriver to pray on it and then check if sliding pins re not stuck. Slide them back and forth.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't see visiting the tire shop twice as often as a benefit. Would cost more long term. So yeah I rotate for even wear and performance.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i did notice some alittle more wear on the shoulders of my wife's tires the other day... so im probably gonna rotate here soon

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
i did notice some alittle more wear on the shoulders of my wife's tires the other day... so im probably gonna rotate here soon
Fast corners, huh? lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Took my car to Dealer @11500 Kilometers for warranty work ( replaced both LED Tail lights )& asked to check if tires needed rotation.
They said all equal wear so not necessary.
Honest dealer hard to find.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
They said all equal wear so not necessary.
Honest dealer hard to find.
Honestly, it is BS. Front will never equally wear with rear. They must be rotated otherwise they will become unbearable noisy.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Fast corners, huh? lol
she drives it most of the time so im not sure.... but when i get in the car her avg mpg according to the computer is 33mpg.... in a hybrid..... when i drive it, it immediately starts going up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts