Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

Do you guys think that driving at 80mph for extened time cause damage?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Forte5GT 
#1 ·
I frequently drive between 75 to 85 mph for extended periods of time.

Example, 79 mph for about an hour and a half in the manual trans I'm at about 3200 to 3400 rpm

Do you guys think that this it too fast at too high of rpm to be running these cars for that long?

My commute to work is only about 20 min at this speed but I also have a commute across state that is the 2 hour drive but all freeway at 70 to 85 the speed I travel. I have almost 17k miles on it and since ive bought it new and ive been running it like this.

Just thought for conversation. I'm not running a tune or mods really besides the engine mount.

#3 ·
Lets put it this way, whenever I drive to the other side of my state to visit family, which is usually about a 3-5 hour drive, I often drive between 80-100 the entire time. No, most engines now are built to be revved out. As Shagger said, regular oil changes and proper maintenance will take care of the (small amount of) extra stress.
Tyson

#4 ·
Often wondered this myself, but more so just for long distances opposed to high speeds.

Took a 4 hr drive out of town for a wedding this summer and pretty sure I experienced excessive "heat soak". Wondered how bad that is especially on the turbo.

I drove to Eastern Canada in summer 2014 which is a nice 1500 km drive (930 miles) in one sitting back when I had my Mazda. A good portion of that was doing 130kmh (80mph) in New Brunswick for about 5 hrs. Mazda did great although the little 2.0 was screaming up the hills trying to maintain speed.

I wonder how this car would do especially with the MT.

#5 ·
I would presume (no true empirical or scientific/experimental data to prove it, though) running engine at up to 2/3 of its max rpm is not killing. Sure, it will get more wear than going say at 2500 rpm, but that's why you have the 10y/100k miles warranty.
I drive it like that as well.

However, what is important is the way you shut it down and let it warm up.
When you stop at the rest area - let it idle for this time (if less than 3 minutes) and then stop the engine.
Still, on flat, steady speed, turbo barely spins. Vacuum reads about -10 in Hg, so turbine is barely compressing anything. Same, with warm up - first drive it gently (do not overdo though) until reaching operating temp.

Often wondered this myself, but more so just for long distances opposed to high speeds.

Took a 4 hr drive out of town for a wedding this summer and pretty sure I experienced excessive "heat soak".
I never experienced heat soak even when driving 90 mph on hot summer with A/C full blast.
If you felt power drop it was something ignition/pinging related.

I had this happened a few times. I am still trying to find out what it is, because the only thing I can track now is low boost pressure. It boost for fraction of second (say to 10 psi) and suddenly drops to 5 or so. Engine speed will not change anything. I even pulled over a few times and touched intercooler - cold to touch. Restarted engine - still same.

Reactions: staax
#6 ·
Thanks for the responses folks, forum has been kinda dead lately. Not much been going on for builds or anything. I do plan on doing my build this coming spring/summer but until then ill just lurk..

#7 ·
While debating which car to purchase at which price point Turbo Mustang, GTI, V6 Camaro or Forte - one thing that I'll bring to this forum is PHOTOS. Even the Forte owners on here with mods and such - there is a curious lack of photos. Good video and photos would make the site more lively............

#10 ·
No, not old school.
With the way engines are controlled and warranties written up - there is not much room for anything.
Any change in engine management - warranty is killed.

Any attempt to boost power - this 1.6 is already at its limits (without doing any internals) - it ends with either huge expense and warranty cancellation or a failure.

Spend $250 for maybe 8 HP with CAI. Or $650 for tune (20 HP). Worth it? Maybe... But then again - you come back to warranty issues.

And there is not much one can do. CAI, resonator, FMIC, vacuum block - these are only for a bit extra power and maybe for looks and gauges. They may fly under the radar... so when you spend 20k on a car which is rated 200 HP from 1.6T, while GTI is 220 HP from 2.0T - well, that says something, something that makes you wonder how much further you can push before going into problems.

Even with any add on, the darn ECU will adjust and you are doomed - back to stock.

I guess, I will just buy a used car that allows for some tuning.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-porsche-959-komfort/

#11 ·
I was just saying we are old school in the use of forums instead of facebook ect. And I will be doing whatever I can to boost power, simply for the fact that I can. Warranty issues sure but I guess that is something that I'm willing to take on. I love cars and I love to mod drive and detail so simply put its a hobby and it just so happens that the kia is the car that I'm putting my effort towards. stay tuned this next year for.... whatever this endeavor will bring....;)

#14 ·
You are fine. These newer engines are constructed to hold higher rev. Like many people said before me, make sure you change your oil every 3k (regular commute would be around 5k), your engine get a good rest, keep up with maintenance, a good set of tires (long cummute will require it), don't pressure the turbo and get a good gas. The only thing is that your engine will wear faster. That is expected due to the longer commute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.