Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Disclaimer, I know this is dangerous. I know I am 18. I know that this risk also involves people other than myself. I try to minimize this risk by doing this on long stretches of visible road, most of the time without any other access ports. This is about a possible issue I see with going over 100 miles per hour.

For you non MPH guys, 100+ mph is 160+ kph. I have a few stretches on my morning commute to and from school, and I like to open the throttle up as much as I can, given no other cars are around me and I don't pose a danger to others if I do crash. The one feeling I get is this sense of lifting off the ground. I don't know if any of you guys get this same feeling, but once I hit around 90 mph, I get a severe sense of a lack in my steering. Yes I know that is normal, but I get this feeling that I am literally being lifted off the ground. Now, my lack of going excessive speeds may make this be blown out of proportion, but do you guys get this feeling too?

Secondly, if what I say is true, do we need like a front splitter or something to improve downforce? OR am I asking a stupid question because who cares, its a Kia and nobody ever goes 100+ mph.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I have been up to 130 so far in my car but was on a road course track. When I didn't have my rear torsion bar it would get sketchy over 115 for me. Now that I have the bar it's more planted.

You will get used to it when you get more experience behind you on how to handle your car better.

I don't suggest doing stuff like this unless at a track but I have played when in the middle of no where

·
Registered
981 Posts
With my last ECU having issues with limiting I was able to reach 148 mph @ 6200 rpm and the Koup was still firmly planted and stable. It would be obvious the 5 has different aerodynamics than the Koup, most would know the more air that travels over the car will create a suction under. The 5 being taller and more squared off in the rear will cause more air to be pulled from the sides at the rear rather than the top which will give you more of a wiggle in the rear.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't want to be "that guy", but seriously, find a track. The problem with you going 100+ mph on regular roads is not you, it's the environment (read: other drivers, animals, bad roads, etc.). This is something I have learned through experience over the nearly the last 25 years of driving (yeah, I'm old).

It's so much more fun on a track where you don't have to worry about the environmental concerns (except for the occasional animal). I'd suggest you look into HPDE events at either Road Atlanta, Atlanta Motor Speedway, or the like.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Problem is there are no tracks in central Florida that have those types of events on a bigger scale track. You get the SCCA events ripping thru a cone track in parking lots and yes even that is fun. We go out as a pack of 10-12 cars and communicate by radio, scout the road for debris in a 8 mile straight that has 12' high critter fencing new asphalt and at 3am there won't be another driver to be seen for 30-40 min at a time. We have even been accompanied by some local law enforcement on occasion. No drag racing or anything like that it is one car at a time and the next in line doesn't go till he gets the all clear. Gotta love new toll roads that nobody uses.

@riceboyler, Your not the only old guy lol I might have you by a few.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would check your tire pressure.... a lot of the lack of feel you mire be talking about can come form a simple tire pressure adjustment.. and Eli has a great set of chassis stiffing bars.. to tighten up the road feel.. but you are our cars do have a light wheel even in the sport setting.. even though it seems counter intuitive if you are going fast try putting your car to normal on your steering setting.. it wont be overly heavy at low speeds.. and wont be quiet a shock as your wheel gets lighter at speeds..

·
Registered
195 Posts
I get above 100 almost every weekend lol.. I know that feeling you're talking about. I felt it in my old jaguar when I would get over 120. I have the the koup and pushed it til 138ish 6th was redlining. Felt great and had plenty of control. Whenever I run high speeds I put the steering in comfort which is probably opposite of what others do. I like to have a little play in the steering so it doesn't have that oh crap imma crash if I jerk the wheel a little feeling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is exactly the advice I asked for! Thanks guys!

In response to the track thing, my father is overly cautious about ruining my oh so valued 100k mile warranty. He won't even let me go near the car with a tool in hand. Hence why tracking the car is out of question. If I owned it, and this being that if i waited till next week to buy the car, it would actually be in my name and no cares would be given. He thinks if I change an OEM nut on this car, its warranty is totally wiped. I know this isn't the case, but you all had parents so I think you can understand.

Following this, in terms of environment, I do know my roads and things of the like, none of this is at dark, there is always that freak accident, but that is there always right? I know those speeds should be done on a track, but you can't tell me you guys haven't wanted to do the same on a street. This might be what little teenager I have left in me saying this though. But seriously, tracking it is out of the question. Im trying to get a cheap project car to track, but it isnt looking too good right now money wise. In truth, I did not want a new car, we just had about 3 used cars in our driveway that were broken down and we were tired of buying POS's from random people and having bad luck.

In response to the actual question. I will look on chassis upgrades. That is one thing I don't think I will have a problem warranty wise. I now know not to get to those speeds after doing it again without a little upgrading. The use of different steering modes does make me wonder how that plays. I always drive in sport mode, figured that would be the best. Thanks for the information!

Josh

·
Registered
102 Posts
I run everyday in the 65-80 mph and it gets wobble when a passing a big truck

·
Registered
981 Posts
I run everyday in the 65-80 mph and it gets wobble when a passing a big truck
I really don't know if it matters what you drive when passing a truck. So much vacuum created behind the it's incredible, although when on a bike it does make a nice slingshot effect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts