Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your thoughts? Just don't know about the exhaust. I like the 4c Alfa Romeo and abarth because it throaty. Not sure if ours is the same low rumble.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I do not know... I cannot hear my car from the back. Idle sounds nice, IMO. Not too much, but nice.
Definitely not can fart.

·
Registered
514 Posts
oh wait nevermind this was after his install.
didn't you already say it sounded like shit haha
kinda making me want to hold on to my stock muffler

"Got my car back after 3 days.

It sounds like SHIT. So loud. WHen I had the muffler delete I thought it was loud then I got used to it. Now the downpipe + flowmaster resonator, it sounds ungodly loud. Well not ungodly but it's much louder than just a muffler delete.

I don't know if I like it. Pushed it to 5,-6,000 and it sounded good but the intermitten RPMs make it drone vritually at any RPM while feathering the throttle."

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh wait nevermind this was after his install.
didn't you already say it sounded like shit haha
kinda making me want to hold on to my stock muffler

"Got my car back after 3 days.

It sounds like SHIT. So loud. WHen I had the muffler delete I thought it was loud then I got used to it. Now the downpipe + flowmaster resonator, it sounds ungodly loud. Well not ungodly but it's much louder than just a muffler delete.

I don't know if I like it. Pushed it to 5,-6,000 and it sounded good but the intermitten RPMs make it drone vritually at any RPM while feathering the throttle."
To be honest, I always feel like every mod has left me unimpressed. The story was the same after the muffler delete, coilover install, and now the downpipe. I just need time to adjust so day 2 I'm getting use to it. I wish there was a bit more character/uniqueness to the sound. At least it doesnt' sound like a Honda Civic, I guess.

I've heard some Veloster Turbos that sounded pretty good. I'm probably a few more mods away from achieving the sound I'm after.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
To be honest, I always feel like every mod has left me unimpressed. The story was the same after the muffler delete, coilover install, and now the downpipe.
Your approach is bad... sorry to bring it up here, but muffler delete is not really any good mod. You simply remove muffler that adds to the sound. If it was replacement for something nice, then sure you would be happier.

Any exhaust, especially in turbo car, will be "ricey" when it is a straight pipe.
Get exhaust from 845 and you will be impressed.

I've heard some Veloster Turbos that sounded pretty good. I'm probably a few more mods away from achieving the sound I'm after.
They could have had the whole system redone. Yes, I looked into myself and found from other posts that mufler delete does not do much good. It opens up a bit, but not much.
Second cat delete, and even the first cat - not much to the sound, more flow. However, then you are dealing with other problems. Much more power? Not much more. Some? Yes.

Resonator - remove it and then you are droning.

EDIT.
See this one, although I am sure you saw it already.
http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/15-kia-forte-turbo-builds/354-k-u-s-steel-blue-11.html#post65026

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your approach is bad... sorry to bring it up here, but muffler delete is not really any good mod. You simply remove muffler that adds to the sound. If it was replacement for something nice, then sure you would be happier.

Any exhaust, especially in turbo car, will be "ricey" when it is a straight pipe.
Get exhaust from 845 and you will be impressed.

They could have had the whole system redone. Yes, I looked into myself and found from other posts that mufler delete does not do much good. It opens up a bit, but not much.
Second cat delete, and even the first cat - not much to the sound, more flow. However, then you are dealing with other problems. Much more power? Not much more. Some? Yes.

Resonator - remove it and then you are droning.

EDIT.
See this one, although I am sure you saw it already.
http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/15-kia-forte-turbo-builds/354-k-u-s-steel-blue-11.html#post65026
I've considered that but it's too expensive. I've got quotes from the same shop that took 3 days to do the downpipe for half that. This job would be relatively straight forward since there should be nothing rusted or placed in hard to reach places.

They offer vibrant mufflers or the popular Borla/Flowmaster ones. The resonator they put in was a flowmaster.

The more I drive the car, the more I hear the Abarth sound with downpipe. I think that has a lot to do with my deleted muffler as well.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I've considered that but it's too expensive.
Sometimes it follows the saying "you get what you paid for".
Just like spark plugs - get Autolite and they will last 1000 miles :D although they are great when they work.

I personally would like to have more growl, rumble in the exhaust, but only under half to full load. Under normal driving to be normal, quiet, with some note, but not annoyingly loud to be able to take 10 hr drive without headache.
And I know it is not easy to accomplish.
So I am not looking into it at all.

Some will say their exhaust is doing it, but I find later on that it is just like with intake.
When I was shopping for intake, I heard some good and bad opinions. Those good were "awesome sound".
Then I discovered that a huge vacuum cleaner makes the same sound, and I personally do not like it.
There is no growl, no deep sound, it is suction. And the turbo spool is completely hindered due to the intake.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i wish someone could say what the sound is like with this configuration but i think this would produce growl and closer to sleeper maybe.
3.5in intake tube modified connected to stock airbox instead of cone filter
3in high flow dp
gutted 2nd cat and keep stock exhaust and muffler.
i know the stock exhaust tapers but what makes it most restrictive are the dp cat and the 2nd cat.
i almost want to think the tapered sizing might help keep more low end torque rather than at 2.5in catback.
then again i cant remember the exact sizing it tapers to wasn't it like 2 in?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The truth of the matter is, getting a 4 cylinder to sound good and or aggressive is hard to do. I have not heard any that sounded really really nice except may be the old ones from europe. Peugeot GTIs.

I'm going to get the exhaust done fully custom but the shop wants $1600 for essentially a turbo back but wouldn't that mean a custom downpipe which I already have? The quote was before I had the so instslled.

I'll make an effort to get some drive by footage this weekend. If in satisfied with it, I'll likely keep it as is and if not, I'm going to bite the bullet and get it done with some high flow muffler because I want to eventually put the pops and bang tune on it.

I was driving into a garage tonight and this guy just gave me the 10 yard stare for a good 15 seconds due to the echo chamber effect. Lol, may be he had tenitus.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So I had my downpipe installed and removed my 2nd cat all together. The tone is nice. I like it... it’s not a lot different from stock as I still have the resonator and muffler..

Will try and make a video this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
Any problems with the do install? Did you do both separate so you could see the difference in sound? Notice any improvement in sound?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts