Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've got a quick question from someone. Sadly, my 2010 Forte was in a collision. Everything's five, except one wheel, which was damaged. And, I need to do certain repair to it, which includes wheel hub replacement. I was wondering, whether I have to get the new wheel seals in as well? Also, I thought to replace only i wheel hub, that is damaged. Is it fine or I have to do all four? Also, wanted to go with the aftermarket hubs, they're not that costly.
Any thoughts on this?
Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I guess you could get more info from Kia-Forums.com :: Kia Enthusiast Forums or Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
This one is rather for 2014+ Forte Turbo.

It does NOT mean help will not be given, though.

What seals you are talking about? What repair?
When changing the hub you remove the bearings. Very unlikely for the bearings to survive if the hub is damaged. Hence, you replace everything. Everything means the seal on the back and the bearings inside the hub.

You can replace only this one that is damaged. No need to do all 4. It is not brakes. It only holds the wheel in place and lets it rotate. Even if the new bearing has a different resistance, it will go unnoticeable.

Reactions: TheKIAdriver

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for a reply, man! I am new to the forum, so I'm sorry that posted my question in the wrong thread. And I appreciate your help! By 'seal' I meant that round thing that goes inside of the wheel hub (https://www.carid.com/wheel-seals/). And that was he hub that's got damaged. And yes, I will definitely replace the bearing, to be at the safe side. So I will go ahead and will get a wheel hub, that seal and the brand-new bearing. And I am so glad to hear that the that I may have only one replaced!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I also think, and I should have said that, it comes as a set. You could get the seal only, but when getting a hub and bearings you get the whole kit that includes the seal. Hence, change all of it. Make sure it has enough of good quality GREASE.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Since you said "hub" 99.8% of front hubs also known as knuckles have pre-greased
sealed bearings and a few manufacturers use a "semi-seal" of sorts for dust and moisture on the CV side. This isn't for
protecting the bearings it is to prevent corrosion or rust from seizing the splines on the CV in the hub flange. Opposite side
(washer and nut) when torqued correctly creates a seal.

On the rear hub whether it is drum or disk brakes there are 2 races, 2 bearings and a seal. Most after market hubs will come pre packed
with grease and a new seal as mentioned by PLP. It's simply slide on the new hub and adjust bearing preload, lock pin, dust cap and assemble the brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts