Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know most know how to change out spark plugs but we were all noobs at one point. Hoping this saves some noob $100 by not having the dealer switch out the plugs.

Equipment
  • Autolite XP5703 spark plugs (.028 gap) $21.20 from eBay
  • spark plug socket
  • 10 mm socket
  • ratchet
  • torque wrench
  • 6 inch extension
  • anti seize
20151114_160540.jpg

Remove the engine cover. Pull on the corners and it will release. Remove the coils with the 10 mm bolts.
20151114_160614.jpg

Give them a tug and they will pop right out.
2015-11-16 10.35.19.jpg

I needed to remove this connector to get to the coil closest to the driver side.
20151114_161831.jpg

Using a 6 inch extension (not in the pic) you can now remove the spark plugs. Be careful no debris gets into the opening while the spark plugs are out. Place the new plug into the plug socket. I like to apply anti seize to the plugs when installing. Insert plug,socket and extension into the opening and tighten by hand. This ensures that you are not cross threading.
20151114_161814.jpg

Torque the plugs to 15 ft lbs, Insert the coils, screw in the 10mm bolts, reattach the wire connector and pop in the engine cover. Enjoy!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mods, there are some very large (duplicate) images on the original post that I was not able to remove. Hopefully you can get them removed because i was unable to do so.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Good write up, yes for a lot of us, this is very easy but we were all noobs at one point.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Believe it or not I just made a video that I need to upload to my YouTube

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Mods, there are some very large (duplicate) images on the original post that I was not able to remove. Hopefully you can get them removed because i was unable to do so.
I will fix it as soon as my laptop updates lol

·
Registered
580 Posts
Are autolights the factory replacements ? I want to run champion iridium a whenthe time comes . It's a cheaper version of the Greddy .7 tip ;) I just need to find out the part number for it . The autolights are great to and IX NGK are the equivilent to those if you can't find autolights

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
The autolites can be factory replacement or get the colder ones for a tune

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Love seeing everyone here doing write ups and helping eachother out!
Tyson

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wassup I don't have a torque wrench, would I need to invest in one???

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
They are only $10 at harbor freight

·
Registered
633 Posts
For spark plugs, no a torque wrench isn't necessary; however, they ARE a great investment.

Every single but in your car has a proper torque. Buy one now and youll use it a lot more than you think (ie: lug nuts, brakes, struts)

I'd recommend one!

·
Registered
580 Posts
It's basically a crush washer on all spark plugs . 15- 19 ft lbs or the old standard hand tighten all the way then 1/4 turn all four and then repeat . If it stops then don't go further . That seats the washer

·
Registered
149 Posts
They are only $10 at harbor freight
For spark plugs, no a torque wrench isn't necessary; however, they ARE a great investment.

Every single but in your car has a proper torque. Buy one now and youll use it a lot more than you think (ie: lug nuts, brakes, struts)

I'd recommend one!
It's basically a crush washer on all spark plugs . 15- 19 ft lbs or the old standard hand tighten all the way then 1/4 turn all four and then repeat . If it stops then don't go further . That seats the washer
Cool, thanks guys, I seen a lot in auto zone or advance but to me they sound too cheap!! To buy one and hence it brakes on me

·
Registered
149 Posts
3/8 size obviously right!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
3/8 size obviously right!!
Really depends on how much work you plan on doing to the car. Majority of the fasteners can be done with 3/8" drive while others will require a 1/2" drive for higher torque (lug nuts, most suspension and engine internals).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Really depends on how much work you plan on doing to the car. Majority of the fasteners can be done with 3/8" drive while others will require a 1/2" drive for higher torque (lug nuts, most suspension and engine internals).
Ohhh ok ok got you thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is this a good anti siezehttp://m.autozone.com/miscellaneous-cleaners-and-degreasers/lube/permatex-1-oz-28-35-g-anti-seize-lubricant/526814_0_0/?location= for spark plugs ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Any anti seize will work . I had a can from God knows what year or brand that I used on tons of cars . It was a copper base one . Basically anything that helps aluminum from creating that white crap between the steel threads of the spark plugs works .

Reactions: Forte5

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Checkout brownline digital torque wrenches. I've read pretty good reviews on corvette and tracker forums from people wanting a good budget wrench with a lot of features

1 - 20 of 30 Posts