Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I decided to upgrade my factory rear speakers in my 2016 Koup and add wires to run a sub woofer off of my factory unit.

Tools you will need
10mm and 12mm Socket
Phillips screw driver
Regular screw driver (or if you have a trim removal tool)
wire cutter/crimping tool
I used a drill to pre-drill holes on the speaker mount

Lower the back seats and remove the 2 bolts holding the upper seats on. Remove seats.
20170305_122848.jpg

Remove the 2 bolts holding the bottom section.
20170305_123331.jpg

Grab and pull up towards the outside of the bottom section to unsnap it from the car.
20170305_123447.jpg

Remove the 2 plastic retainers holding the side panel in.
20170305_123857.jpg
20170305_123905.jpg

The side panel is snug, but it will pop out with a little elbow grease. (red circles shows where the 2 plastic retainers were)
20170305_124200_LI.jpg

Un-clip the harness from the car, then remove the 4 bolts holding the speaker mount in.
20170305_124200_LI (2).jpg

The speaker is held in by 4 screws and no adhesive.
20170305_124844_LI.jpg

Cut the wires as close to the soldering point as possible.
20170305_124850_LI.jpg

Add additional speaker wire for later subwoofer install. (couldn't find any piggy-backs in town)
20170305_151609.jpg

Speaker will not fit in the factory holes so you will have to drill and modify the bracket to get it to fit.
20170305_152813_LI.jpg

Hide the speaker wire as best as possible.
20170305_152819.jpg

And thats all! If you have any questions please let me know!

·
Registered
827 Posts
So that Kicker round speaker you put in is to upgrade the OEM speaker. Doesnt look difficult at all - right? What size is that new co-ax unit? Did you find the upgrade to add more sound and improve things worthwhile sonically? Do you still have the factory deck or aftermarket amp. Impressive crystal clear photography - except that last photo is MASSIVE. :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I will second on valleyracer question.
Any sound improvement? I hope that is on a stock deck...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nastus - was there room for an amplifier back there that could drive those aftermarket rear speakers? That OEM driver looks like a paper magnet cheapy. I'm up for a sound/video sample you put on youtube.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
How big AMP (size/dimensions wise) you want to put there?
You could easily slide something to the side, below the speaker. It may take even a large one. Good cooling as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great tutorial - and thanks for the pictures. One thing to note, I was under the impression that Kia filters out certain bass frequencies to the rear speakers, making them not such a good choice for tapping for a subwoofer (the fronts being a better choice). Wonder if that's something you've come to find as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I'm not really sure as to why there is that massive photo at the end and I'm Not sure how to delete it lol. -Found and Deleted it! lol

The factory rear speakers do not put much bass or clarity for highs. The speakers are all around bad. The kicker speaker is an upgrade but the bass response is about the same. You definitely get better high's with the kicker. I did spend most the day looking through 6x9's that would fit behind the bracket but no such luck.

I am running the factory radio, no additional amplifier for the speakers as of yet. I would like to get a 2 channel for the rears eventually but I would also like to get a better speaker for that. Tbh I'm not a fan of kickers but it was the best option I could find yesterday. There is room behind and below the speakers to add an amp if you would like. Personally I would just mount the rear amp on my sub box and have both amplifiers right there in case I need to mess with them.

If the rear speakers do filter out the lows and make for a bad choice in bass I will make a new tutorial on how to tap into the front door speakers. Im sub and amp aren't here yet and they should be here by next weekend. Should lol.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Nice write up, thank you.
So the rears are 6.5" speakers correct?
Model # of the Kickers pls? I have some new Alpine units I could use.
LMK
Thx

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice write up, thank you.
So the rears are 6.5" speakers correct?
Model # of the Kickers pls? I have some new Alpine units I could use.
LMK
Thx
6.5 is correct and the model number is CS65.

PLP - are you using a Line out converter?

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
PLP - are you using a Line out converter?
Nope, nothing. Straight stock. I was just testing system to find out why the bass is so dull.
I prepared 5 seconds long sounds samples starting at 20 Hz with 5 Hz increase up to 60 Hz.
Once I get to my friend's (previously mine) 2009 Elantra (HD) I will test it as well. This car had incredible sound system. I bought the car used, but it did not seem anything was changed by the previous owner as the deck was stock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today was the first time being on the road all put together, I drive an hour for work. What a difference in quality. The bass is a little better but a lot more crisp, mids amd highs are nice and clear. I'm extremely happy with the result.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nastus you've done an extraordinary service to the forum. You saved me a ton of research. YOur photos are flat out crystal clear too. Now maybe just a little audio/video to youtube to give forum members a quick sample of your setup. Finally the mystery of the rear seating area speakers revealed.!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I am hoping my 2015 Forte 5 has similar construction with it's rear seat. Thanks again for the great write up and pictures.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nastus (and everyone) turns out after some stereo shopping in my area, Best Buy had the best price for mid-fi equipment and installation. Places were quoting me 500-600 for 2 speakers and an amp - a total gouging.
Best Buy around $200 for Kenwood amp and speakers etc installed.
Gotta get a few things ordered, then installed.
Again a very useful post Nastus.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i'm kind of disappointed in the stock setup of the speakers in the rear. its just screwed into the speaker adapter which bolts to the frame without a baffle. its no wonder the bass is terrible.. the outer cone of the speaker should be sealed off from the airspace behind the speaker. basically a sealed enclosure behind the speaker would improve the bass drastically.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts