Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably the next best mod to the IC res delete and its free.
similar to how the IC res delete smooth out most of the surges, well a gutted cat will remove the rest of it.
you need to jack up the car and apply jack stands on all 4's. some lighting and a socket set will be needed.
as far as the excavating, i used all the useful tools i could get my hands on to accelerate the process.
screw drivers (longer the better), pry bars, crow bars, drill with drill bits, hammer or even sledge hammer, etc.

jack the car up and jack stands on all 4's. give yourself enough lift to have room to remove and install the midpipe.
0.jpg

pictures of the midpipe front to back.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

2 nuts at the front
6.jpg

2 nuts at the back
7.jpg

slide rubber insulator off the hanger
8.jpg

out comes the midpipe and the nuts/gaskets
i used wd-40 and an old toothbrush to clean the rusted nuts and threads off the flanges.
the gaskets looked okay to reuse.
9.jpg
10.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
closeup of the inside of the cat, notice the honeycomb and all those small holes with long channels.
this is where the bottleneck really starts.
11.jpg
12.jpg

there is no right way to start. think of someone you really hate and grab your screwdriver and start stabbing.
give yourself an idea of how the material feels and how hard it is.
i found that setting the entire midpipe on a soft cushion horizontally and using the prybar as a nail with the sledge did the most damage.
as you do some damage, stand it up to shake out the debris and repeat repeat and repeat.
i kept the midpipe horizontal and vertical with the cat at the bottom to keep debris from entering the resonator.
13.jpg
14.jpg

i even used my drill bits and spade bit with extension to wreck the honeycomb haha.
15.jpg

debris pile after done and the nice clear path for the car to breath better.
16.jpg
17.jpg

now time to go back on the car, start with the front with the gasket in and the nuts.
18.jpg

work the back in next with the gasket and nuts.
19.jpg
20.jpg

i slid the insulator back into the hanger last as it was causing it to not line up with it in beforehand.
and that is it very simple and no need to reset the ecu good to go. enjoy!
21.jpg

·
Registered
402 Posts
GREAT great write-up. :)
Thank you.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds about right haha. the primary cat is doing such a fabulous job already restricting the flow.
platinum pellets made its way to the trash where i think it flows better. :)

Reactions: SXTurbo

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the cat has come back to life and got its revenge!
while i was driving in the neighborhood, one cat was chasing another black cat and well...
i tried to stop seriously lol but it ran across and yeah i hit it.
when i came to a stop, i had proceeded to look under the car cause i thought i ran the cat over
but instead i found no cat and apparently after hitting it at around 25mph it had kept on running.
another bystander who drove by said they saw the cat bolting around the corner of the adjacent street lol.
the cat did some damage to the mounting points for the driver side fog lights.

WP_20170512_001.jpg
WP_20170512_013.jpg

unrelated, i posted the frontal pic with the red markings to ask a question.
anyone ever think to somehow remove the CF bar that runs horizontally across?
it looks to be part of the bumper so it would require some cutting.
it seems this car could use some better air flow especially to the IC.
what do you guys think?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Gutted the second cat today. Everything went just as described here and pretty much used the same tools. There's a lot more guts that come out then I thought, biggest pain is getting all the insulation stuff scraped off the inside walls. I will say it's good info to pry off that rubber support the very first thing and make it the last thing you put on. Car was cold when I did the job so it was at high idle when I fired it up after finishing. Didn't really notice any sound difference on the cold start. Went for a drive and I do hear a little throatier rumble when on the gas. It looks like the resonator is a straight shot through from what I could see so this is a good alternative to having a pipe fabricated for $250 in my case.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gutted the second cat today. Everything went just as described here and pretty much used the same tools. There's a lot more guts that come out then I thought, biggest pain is getting all the insulation stuff scraped off the inside walls. I will say it's good info to pry off that rubber support the very first thing and make it the last thing you put on. Car was cold when I did the job so it was at high idle when I fired it up after finishing. Didn't really notice any sound difference on the cold start. Went for a drive and I do hear a little throatier rumble when on the gas. It looks like the resonator is a straight shot through from what I could see so this is a good alternative to having a pipe fabricated for $250 in my case.
i cant wait to do the downpipe. i'm assuming it too has the same kind of material in it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should have taken it to a jewelry store to be melted down and get cash for it heh.
or maybe at a scrapyard hmm i wonder how much it would really be worth

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've put about 20 miles on now since gutting the second cat. I have to ask if there's a learning curve for the system to get used to that second cat not being there. I'm noticing some bogging now that wasn't there before I gutted the cat.

·
Registered
827 Posts
or maybe at a scrapyard hmm i wonder how much it would really be worth
Throw that shit away somewhere and don't try to redeem it for cash.

I would NOT tell anyone, public, retail, scrapyard, eco-recycle, parts store, cop, race track friends etc etc - that you removed the material in your catalytic converter. For the most part it's generally quite illegal. Depends on your state and county too, but your dealership is likely to frown on the mod if they notice it.
Be careful if you gut your cat is my suggestion and don't get caught with some penis-cop or highway patrol penis or sheriff-dick head noticing it if it's LOUD.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Throw that shit away somewhere and don't try to redeem it for cash.

I would NOT tell anyone, public, retail, scrapyard, eco-recycle, parts store, cop, race track friends etc etc - that you removed the material in your catalytic converter. For the most part it's generally quite illegal. Depends on your state and county too, but your dealership is likely to frown on the mod if they notice it.
Be careful if you gut your cat is my suggestion and don't get caught with some penis-cop or highway patrol penis or sheriff-dick head noticing it if it's LOUD.
i already threw it away more less just wondering.
the car isnt loud enough to suspect anything at all.
i would say this would be more true with a downpipe instead.
the most i got was a slight deep hum.

I've put about 20 miles on now since gutting the second cat. I have to ask if there's a learning curve for the system to get used to that second cat not being there. I'm noticing some bogging now that wasn't there before I gutted the cat.
yeah from what i could tell it does a small learning curve. all in all you will notice it is smoother or should smooth out.
did you do the res delete pipe already?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Haven't done the res pipe delete yet, I saw that they make a whole pipe replacement for that. I wasn't sure what to expect after gutting the cat, that's feels strange saying that since we have 4 cats as pets! I only have 3k miles on the motor and most agree here it's not fully broken in until 5k miles or so.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Haven't done the res pipe delete yet, I saw that they make a whole pipe replacement for that. I wasn't sure what to expect after gutting the cat, that's feels strange saying that since we have 4 cats as pets! I only have 3k miles on the motor and most agree here it's not fully broken in until 5k miles or so.
i would highly recommend it. first thing i did was the res pipe and i notice a small change with the surges.
when i did the cat gutting it made the surges even slightly smoother or less existent.
on WOT i still get a slight surge but it wasn't as bad as when the car was stock and those were like the first 2 mods i did.
my g/f can even attest to this being the passenger as she confirmed.
the whole pipe or "hot pipe" can be had starting at $150 for the MBRP if you have manual.
i'm trying to see if the ORHP will fit our cars as this option allows you to choose the "IC coupler".
if you have your IC modified then this would pair up with the ORHP from what i understand.
https://xenonelement.net/b/ccs/hf-orhp.html
dont let your wife see all this cat gutting that we are doing around here ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any update how it feels after learning curve, how long it takes, how it feels now, no problems after time?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Any update how it feels after learning curve, how long it takes, how it feels now, no problems after time?
If you don't do an ecu disconnect I've heard it takes several hundred miles of driving to adjust. No issues at all, I wouldn't hesitate recommending this mod to anyone. My car is approaching 5k miles now and is running great, I just replaced the hot pipe which really seemed to free up the performance of the turbo.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you don't do an ecu disconnect I've heard it takes several hundred miles of driving to adjust. No issues at all, I wouldn't hesitate recommending this mod to anyone. My car is approaching 5k miles now and is running great, I just replaced the hot pipe which really seemed to free up the performance of the turbo.
i'm glad you like your hot pipe its really nice to free up those surges as a result.
i still get them here and there every now and then and i'm assuming its due to the stock intake.
i'm gonna be doing the cold pipe/60mm TB/ and hopefully with the 3TBS if i can get it to all fit soon.
i've got the right TB this time so when i get some time i will do a write up on this.
after this i'm either doing the custom box intake or a sxth intake.
i wonder would bigger intake helped with surges at all?
either that or downpipe where the flow is being restricted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts