Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will show you all how I went about doing the CDV (clutch delay valve) or cluch regulator bypass.
I took a lot of pics so it should be a piece of cake as long as you take your time and use common sense.
I find that its best to have space to layout the parts coming off the car and arrange the bolts so you know where they go.
You need the clutch hydraulic line from an 2012 forte part # 41631-1M200
You also need a jack, jack stands, socket set, towels, drain pan, light
You will need various tools. Sockets (10,12), various extensions, 10-11mm wrenches, plyers or needle noses,
phillips, flathead, a bottle of brake fluid, and 1/4 hose to bleed the clutch. the more tools the easier.

the part.
0.jpg

jack up the car and apply jack stands.
1.jpg

view of the front under the hood.
2.jpg

push the middle button down and pull the 2 tabs out.
3.jpg

use a phillips screwdriver and unsnap the 2 clamps to remove the intake box cover.
4.jpg

remove the air filter.
5.jpg
6.jpg

where the 2 standing extensions and where my finger is pointing there are 3 bolts.
7.jpg

out comes the rest of the intake box.
8.jpg

Reactions: ticobiker

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
view with the air box out.
9.jpg

unbolt the positive and negative terminals and tuck the cables to the side.
i took apart the negative side cables to keep them tucked away better.
10.jpg
11.jpg

unbolt the bracket that holds the battery down.
12.jpg

remove battery and place on a table or higher up surface.
don't place battery on the ground as this might drain it.
13.jpg

on to the ECU, pull the 2 clips towards the middle to unlock the 2 plugs.
14.jpg

pull the 2 plugs upwards to remove.
15.jpg
16.jpg

where the 2 standing extensions and where my finger is pointing there are 3 bolts.
17.jpg

out goes the ECU.
18.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now on to the battery tray.
19.jpg

20.jpg

where the standing extension sits is another bolt.
21.jpg

and one more to detach the positive cable harness from the tray.
22.jpg

squeeze 2 ends off the tray.
23.jpg

now the tray is free.
24.jpg

view without the tray and the cables out of the way.
sorry bad pic.
25.jpg

the harness in my hand needs to be peeled back to gain access to the CDV.
26.jpg

but first squeeze out this end to free up the harness a little.
27.jpg

pulling back the harness reveals the well hidden CDV.
28.jpg

closer look.
29.jpg

even closer.
30.jpg

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
layout of my parts.
31.jpg

under the wheel well area on the driver side there is a side splash cover.
it has 2 bolts attached at the top and a plastic push screw insert at the bottom.
no need to remove the wheel.
32.jpg
33.jpg

looking straight up from under the car you can see where the hydraulic line runs along the frame.
34.jpg

i added this step for anytime if you feel the ground cable or bracket that holds the clutch line gets in your way.
it's not necessary to do this but i did to make enough room to work. i removed the bracket to the clutch line after i had started draining the fluid.
35.jpg
36.jpg

start with the end closest to you and with 11mm wrench unscrew the line.
have a drain pan under the car to catch the fluid that leaks out the line.
all the fluid from the reservoir will drain out so if its good fluid still, drain into a clean pan for reuse.
i had started to use my dirty drain pan until i saw the fluid was still good so i quickly switched to a clean aluminum baking pan.
37.jpg
38.jpg

i had cut out a small piece of a plastic water bottle to catch any additional fluid that might drip from removing the other side of the line
but it didn't drip much so there was no need. just a small towel under the line should do.
39.jpg

i realized afterwards that it may not be necessary to separate the line from the CDV.
the line and the CDV may come loose all together. you can skip some steps to the CDV removal to remove as one piece i think.
40.jpg

after each end is loose, detach the line off the clip from the body of the car.
41.jpg

new line above untouched, old line below.
42.jpg

·
Registered
827 Posts
Another 15ForteSX excellent photo set and write up. Even though I have an automatic - when doing this mod, it would be a good/convenient time to replace the manual cable shift bushings visible in the 4th photo from the bottom.
What does this clutch delay valve install do or change or improve?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Good job on all the pics and the write up so far. It makes a huge difference in how the car drives and is a cheap mod. It's just a bit time consuming but well worth.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for those who wanted to take off the line as one piece, use a flat head to lift up the metal clip furthest back to release the line.
43.jpg

picture without the CDV.
44.jpg

here's the little trouble maker.
45.jpg

i started to carefully bend the lines to make as similar to the original as possible.
pull out the coil a little to give it more length where needed and just go easy and do very moderate bends.
46.jpg
47.jpg
48.jpg

then i realized, DUH, i need to shape it with the CDV on lol.
maybe you one piece removers will have a laugh at my expense. :)
49.jpg

so i decided to tape the flat edges of the original line to the ground to free up my hands for the new line to reshape.
50.jpg

after getting the line as close as i could get to the original, i started to install the line from the back of the engine to the front.
insert the brass end and push down on the clip to lock into place.
51.jpg

attach new line to the existing clip that holds the line to the body
52.jpg

insert other end of line and screw in until tightly snug.
53.jpg

after both ends are secure and line attached to the body, i used my hands to sorta squeeze bend the line to a more perfect fit.
it wasn't off by much at all but just to have clearance for the plastic cover and to not be touching the transmission housing.
be aware that i'm not pulling or pushing the line but bending it along the body.
54.jpg
55.jpg
56.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now that the new line is installed, its time to add brake fluid. fill to the max. now its time to bleed the trapped air out of the clutch line.
57.jpg

get some kind of cup or jar and put some brake fluid in it so that the 1/4 tube stays in the fluid the entire time of the bleeding process.
58.jpg

i found that my jar sat in a crevice snug. take off the bleeder cap and attach your hose.
59.jpg

with either a 10-11mm wrench, you will need to slightly loosen the bleeder to let the air out as someone pumps the clutch.
i had my g/f pump the clutch 10 times or so and then while she held the clutch down, i loosen the bleeder to let out the air then tighten.
she did have to lift the clutch petal from the floor each time i let out the air.
i did about 5-6 sets just to make sure i had all the air out. when you see mostly fluid coming out and no air bubbles then it should be good to go.
60.jpg

with everything done, its time to put the car parts back in.
i wont spend too much time on this as you could reference the removal process above for details.
61.jpg
62.jpg
63.jpg
64.jpg
65.jpg
66.jpg

all in all, definitely worth doing for the price. if i had to, i would only put the original line back for warranty purposes.
the feel is much smoother and the engagement of gears is quicker. BIG thanks to all those to researched and experimented to get us to a working solution.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Good job in the full DIY.

Not sure why you disconnected the line from the CDV, the vid I sent you shows you just removing the entire line. An extra step that was not needed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another 15ForteSX excellent photo set and write up. Even though I have an automatic - when doing this mod, it would be a good/convenient time to replace the manual cable shift bushings visible in the 4th photo from the bottom.
i would have done so except im broke atm. there might already be good install instructions for this but if i ever get to this i'll probably take some pictures at least.
as far as the cdv, manufactures insert these as protection to keep it from engaging too quickly supposedly the shock from fast engagement at high revs can do damage to the drivetrains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_delay_valve
but basically i think it slows down the fluid by adding like a separate compartment that the fluid has to flow through thereby adding the delay and as a result slower engagement.
by removing the compartment, the fluid flows smoothly and i guess faster like a straight pipe on an exhaust which gives you a quicker engagement.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good job in the full DIY.

Not sure why you disconnected the line from the CDV, the vid I sent you shows you just removing the entire line. An extra step that was not needed.
yeah i didn't rewatch the video recently so i forgot some things but it did help me get started.
i just included the steps to explain what i did and did offer to say it could come off one piece too.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
but basically i think it slows down the fluid by adding like a separate compartment that the fluid has to flow through thereby adding the delay and as a result slower engagement.
by removing the compartment, the fluid flows smoothly and i guess faster like a straight pipe on an exhaust which gives you a quicker engagement.
It basically has a valve, like a membrane, not allowing the fluid to rapidly return. Hence, clutch is slightly delayed. Most of the time it should not have any influence on the engagement, but being a membrane valve it slows the flow and it does it irregularly. That's why most stick shift lovers prefer having it straight flow to operate the clutch as they want it.

The idea was to not allow dumping a clutch (accidentally), but it does not work so ideally in the real world.
I must say that my 2015 was not so bad (unless it was done already by the previous owner) and clutch would operate OK. Except a few times when it was not easy to feel.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
827 Posts
i would have done so except im broke atm. there might already be good install instructions for this but if i ever get to this i'll probably take some pictures at least.
as far as the cdv, manufactures insert these as protection to keep it from engaging too quickly supposedly the shock from fast engagement at high revs can do damage to the drivetrains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_delay_valve
Absolutely fascinating. Never heard of this in all my years of driving a MTX car. Hope everyone who can do this install benefits from it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
So, instead of just grabbing semi-randomly at the top of the clutch lever throw, you can actually "work" the clutch with more consistent feeling doing this mod? I'm also considering if a very slightly taller final gear ratio would be a good solution to the too short gearing and maybe the CDV would be nice to have if you went with a taller final ratio?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
So, instead of just grabbing semi-randomly at the top of the clutch lever throw, you can actually "work" the clutch with more consistent feeling doing this mod?
not quite.
CDV makes the clutch to respond instantly to your input. It does not change engage points or how it operates overall. The delay valve simply slows down the clutch in respect to the pedal input.

and maybe the CDV would be nice to have if you went with a taller final ratio?
If that was only possible.
Lookie here.

http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/19-...6-forte-speed-each-gear-manual-automatic.html

All of them are pretty slow for some reason.
Optima, on the other hand, has very tall gears. Gaijin put Optima tranny into Veloster and can do 150 mph in I think 5th gear.
Or from Sonata...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm also considering if a very slightly taller final gear ratio would be a good solution to the too short gearing and maybe the CDV would be nice to have if you went with a taller final ratio?
hey i just want to know why would just the final gear be of interest here? i feel like first gear is too short.
and also why would you want the CDV back for anything? i cant imagine why you would want any delays.

Optima, on the other hand, has very tall gears. Gaijin put Optima tranny into Veloster and can do 150 mph in I think 5th gear.
Or from Sonata...
this is awesome. i would consider doing this swap on my forte if it wasn't too much trouble mating and mounting.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
this is awesome. i would consider doing this swap on my forte if it wasn't too much trouble mating and mounting.
Let's find out from [mention]Gaijin[/mention]....

EDIT.
Admin... why MENTION does not work here?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CDV art - adds charisma to the garage
WP_20170512_019.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gentlement thanks for the detailed steps.

I was reading other forums and some people they just Drill into the original valve,,, Could this be possible based on your experience? It will avoid using the 2012 part and extra steps to . make it fit...

Thanks in advance,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts