Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some help on cleaning the engine bay. Hopefully, someone can point out what to cover and what not to get wet.

Some pics or video would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
633 Posts
On a stock engine, basically just your alternator (and battery if you want) if you plan to pressure wash it. Avoid directly hitting electrical connections.

I always soak some degreaser in specific areas, wait a few mins, use the pressure washer and then use a towel to wipe down all the plastics. Heat from engine will dry everything else.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use a "little bit" of Dawn liquid in warm water and hand wash plus cover what has been covered already. I use an old chamois to dry plus I use my air compressor to blow out excessive water.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
All right... that is a bit too much.
I am not going to spend 4 hours on toothbrush cleaning my engine bay. I simply spray it with hose. Some dirt - I simply wash it using same detergent I wash my car (turtle wax or meguiar).

More annoying to me are the door wells... they pickup lots of dust.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am not going to spend 4 hours on toothbrush cleaning my engine bay. I simply spray it with hose. Some dirt - I simply wash it using same detergent I wash my car (turtle wax or meguiar).

LOL, then it's not for you. The information is out there though. Imagine if it takes 4 hours for you and I to do, how much it would take him with all the stop and filming he has to make. Sure his impetus is to make videos so he can make money from the viewership but his passion started with just fixing his cars himself. It's a win-win, really.

You mentioned how people taking pictures with cellphones isn't very representative so as a DSLR user you know these things take a lot of time. I tried my hand at making videos but man, it's a lot of work. Kudos to people like him though and just wanted to let his name be out there because his videos reach even the lowest common denominators which is good for guys like me who are all thumbs with cars.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you really want everything really clean. Go to a pressure spray bay. Mask the alternator, battery, harness with plastic. Use WD40. Spray the entire motor. Let it sit for the time it takes you to clean the outside of the car. Then pressure spray the WD40 off. Guarantee you motor is **** and span clean.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Agreed, spray on spray off, drive until dry.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
You mentioned how people taking pictures with cellphones isn't very representative so as a DSLR user you know these things take a lot of time. I tried my hand at making videos but man, it's a lot of work. Kudos to people like him though and just wanted to let his name be out there because his videos reach even the lowest common denominators which is good for guys like me who are all thumbs with cars.
He uses a good quality camera (I do not know the model) on tripod plus a microphone. Actually, you can see it in the reflection of one of his videos about washing car.

·
Registered
445 Posts
+1, they do trap a LOT of gunk. The hatchback too! I usually open up the doors and hatch, wipe them down with a microfiber cloth dunked in whatever I am cleaning the car with and rinse with the hose nozzle on 'mist' or whatever, then wipe again with a dry cloth when I am drying the car. The doors are done last, since there's too much grease to use on any other part of the car. The engine gets done after the doors. For me its wheels first with Meguiars Hot Wheels and a brush then 5 gallons of mixed Chemical Guys Mr. Pink with two alternating microfiber mitts, doors and engine bay with microfiber cloths, rinse then dry with microfiber cloths.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
For me its wheels first with Meguiars Hot Wheels and a brush then 5 gallons of mixed Chemical Guys Mr. Pink with two alternating microfiber mitts, doors and engine bay with microfiber cloths, rinse then dry with microfiber cloths.
Interesting.
I do door and trunk jambs first, then engine area (mainly just spray, no really washing, maybe some on jambs and plastics), then roof and windows, then side windows/top doors, hood/hatch, lower doors, bumpers, and wheels on the very last.
:)

Reactions: shagger

·
Registered
445 Posts
Interesting.
I do door and trunk jambs first, then engine area (mainly just spray, no really washing, maybe some on jambs and plastics), then roof and windows, then side windows/top doors, hood/hatch, lower doors, bumpers, and wheels on the very last.
:)
Talk about 'top down'! I don't see anything wrong with either method, I just do wheels first since I am going to spray them clean and don't want to have to re-dry the body panels. As long as you are using the two bucket method it's all good!

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you're really nuts you take off the wheel and wash both sides heh. I'm only semi-nuts and just do that when rotating tires.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Talk about 'top down'! I don't see anything wrong with either method
I did not even want to imply such thing.

As for two buckets and so much attention...

NOPE. I just wash my car. Since the day I bought it I washed it maybe 3 times, plus one time in a car wash. That is since November 2016.
Having things to do around the house, having two kids, and wife... not much time to wash the car every month.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you're really nuts you take off the wheel and wash both sides heh. I'm only semi-nuts and just do that when rotating tires.
woah thats some dedication haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts