Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Man, that is a great price.

I have exactly same one and it fits well. Not easy to install from the floor with two hands only, but doable. No drilling or other crap.
Also, plug T-type connector wiring makes it very easy job. Just getting to the connectors is a hassle. Many panels to be removed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. It's a crazy good price. I wasn't even sure it would go through until I get my shipping notice.

I might try and back my car onto my ramps if I can. hopefully that will buy me a little extra space. Then possibly use my floor jack to support the muffler.

The wiring says that it should take 20 minutes... so we will see. Doesn't sound terribly intimidating. I'm just excited to pull something.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
20 minutes? BS.... big BS... just to get the trunk liner out or the plastic guard - here is 20 minutes, unless you are very experienced in body panels removal and you have all the great tools.

Of course I did it on ramps. Yet, the hanging muffler, which is much heavier than I thought (you cannot really support it much as you need space to route he hitch :)) and the hitch being tight fit (at least on my 2016). On 2015 it went easier - kind of less tight frame.
Use oil on the muffler rubber hangers. Also, make sure you are removing the ones from the car (if I recall correctly - not from the muffler side).
And then, you may support one side with a jack and attach the other.

Do not get me wrong - not a huge job, just from the ramps with muffler in the way - not as easy as I thought it would be. I did it twice plus one removal when I was selling 2015, so I can tell you - it will be fun.
Still, great price.
I can tell you even more - get it from eTrailer.com and you will get 110% price match!!
At least that's what I did :p

If you are wondering how to tighten the ball nut to the required 220-250 lb*ft... so I used my torque wrench to get the first 150 lb*ft and then pulled "approximately" using breaker bar. The ball was installed on the car as I did not have any other place to mount it to. What? The 5" vise grip? I would turn the table with 250 lb torque :) Car seemed the best and by looking how far the end swung - it was a quite force.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha. I'll time myself. I have a little experience removing body panels but its been a few years.

Thanks for the tips though. I'm sure they will save some time.

At $40 another 10% off would be $36. I'll just take my good price I already got. But for anyone else thats a steal.

Anything over 150 lb-ft for me is just tighten it as hard as i can and hope for the best. lol

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont see it at $40 its $140...
Well that's a bummer. I wondered if that would happen. $40 was crazy cheap.

Just finished the installs. I did wiring one day and the hitch the second day.

Wiring took me maybe 45-60 minutes but for the first half I would remove a panel between sets while I lifted. For sure not 20 minutes.

For the hitch I timed myself, 1 hour 13 minutes. But that included a few distractions too.

The hitch was tight on my 15. Getting it lined up with the holes on the frame was the hardest part. If it was slightly less tight it would have been a 30 minute job.

I sprayed some WD40 on the hangers first. They weren't too terrible. But you cant leave the hangers attached to the muffler and reinstall them after the hitch is on. Best bet would probably be pop them off the car first, then take them off the muffler, then reinstall them on the car once the hitch is on, then finally reattach them to the muffler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts