Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it is not confirmed, but appears I might be having an issue...

When I got the car the coolant was in the low when hot. When cold, it was below low, but not to the point of any danger. Radiator was full and all was working fine (as expected). Since I was getting to dealer for an oil change, I let them refill the tank. So they did.
The refilled to Full on "semi cold" conditions. When hot, it was above full mark.

It has been about 3000 miles/2.5 months since then and I see that coolant level is clearly below Full when hot. On cold is in between low-full. That suggests me coolant is going away somehow.

System pressurizes and does not loose pressure. I see no leaks, drips, nothing wet, no coolant smell... no overheating or such.

Anything I am missing? Any history of coolant issues? Anyone heard/experienced some problems?
Again, it might be too early to say anything, but I would rather say the level dropped more than I would expect. Heck, in Elantra or Rondo I could do 15'000 miles and no loss of coolant whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any sign of coolant in your oil? At your next change I would get a sample to send off to Blackstone Labs for analysis.
I send samples to them. So far nothing extraordinary. On cold days there was some milk, but no more than I would expect.
I will be doing oil change in about 2k miles and will take another sample.

Rad cap? When they go bad its very common to not notice a leak.

Also may be air in the system.
I will check the cap, but as I said - the system is pressurized.
Air, could be, but this would be only one time coolant draw for maybe a few days, and rather quick then slow level drop...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Any updates on what was going on with your coolant? @PLP

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, not at this moment. I am still observing it.

Cap is good. No leaks. Air trapped - there was no air under the cap. The system does not have any bleeding valve, hence if there was any air, it would be gone.

·
Registered
188 Posts
huh weird it always freaks me out when fluid goes low, like wheres it go, why, when, ect lol. on new cars that is..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.