Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm working up to get the TB spacer for the 60mm TB swap. i will obviously need a new cold pipe.
now i know i can make due with the stock with a LOT of force but i want to save the stock pieces.

at first i had this in mind to get
http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/33-6th-element-engineering/2577-silicone-cold-pipes-coming-soon.html

then i saw this and wondered if it fits at all. mostly interested in the hard pipe concept and not the BOV.
https://www.845motorsports.com/shop/hyundai/veloster-turbo/veloster-turbo-cold-pipe-upgraded-kit/
are there any hard pipe options out there?
would the benefits of a hard pipe be worth it?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It must be flex. The more flex it is, the better. You do not want to shake the pipe and pull the intercooler when you push hard on the engine. Engine can move. IC cannot. Pipe is connecting these two.
Why would anyone go with a hard pipe - go figure...

And no, I do not find it needed to go with hard pipe.

I was about to mention it to you the other day that adding the spacer will need some shaving of the pipe. Hence, would simply trimming it solve the problem?

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It must be flex. The more flex it is, the better. You do not want to shake the pipe and pull the intercooler when you push hard on the engine. Engine can move. IC cannot. Pipe is connecting these two.
Why would anyone go with a hard pipe - go figure...

And no, I do not find it needed to go with hard pipe.

I was about to mention it to you the other day that adding the spacer will need some shaving of the pipe. Hence, would simply trimming it solve the problem?
Synapse Veloster Charge [email protected]!!!
if you see in the picture both ends have the flex pipe. on the hard pipe note, i guess this would help the air stay cooler like rubber vs aluminum on intake?
i have seen others do similar cheaper mods like this so i'm assuming it must have some positive effect.
with regard to the spacer, you might be right about a necessary cut. good chance i will be getting the silicon hose.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Synapse Veloster Charge [email protected]!!!
if you see in the picture both ends have the flex pipe. on the hard pipe note, i guess this would help the air stay cooler like rubber vs aluminum on intake?
i have seen others do similar cheaper mods like this so i'm assuming it must have some positive effect.
with regard to the spacer, you might be right about a necessary cut. good chance i will be getting the silicon hose.
I see now.
Well, I would be skeptical. Too many clamps if you ask me. I would rather have flex pipe as we have now and two clamps as opposed to stiff pipe and 4 clamps.
Besides, even them being flex on the ends, that still might not be enough. Your engine should be very rigid to not pull them out of place. Seeing how much play the OEM mount has I can see the IC being moved by the OEM pipe under harsh driving.

I would rather spend the money on something else.
And if you are planning on FMIC - well, this (above) investment would be wasted.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see now.
Well, I would be skeptical. Too many clamps if you ask me. I would rather have flex pipe as we have now and two clamps as opposed to stiff pipe and 4 clamps.
Besides, even them being flex on the ends, that still might not be enough. Your engine should be very rigid to not pull them out of place. Seeing how much play the OEM mount has I can see the IC being moved by the OEM pipe under harsh driving.

I would rather spend the money on something else.
And if you are planning on FMIC - well, this (above) investment would be wasted.
yeah i agree with the many clamps and the possible leak down the line with the extra play during harsh driving.
i thought it was worth mentioning despite its drawbacks and price.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My silicone maker is taking forever for these. Waiting on tracking info, maybe end of this month....
i can wait but..
if i use your 60mm cold pipe and i have the XE throttle body spacer, how bad do you imagine the fitment will be?
it would suck if i had to cut into it and later decide to sell it but no one will buy it except someone with a TB spacer and the 60mm swap.

i also saw this but i dont know how it will fit on our cars
https://xenonelement.net/b/ccs/orcp275.html

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
so i finally got around to installing the 3TBS / 60mm TB / XE cold pipe.
i will confirm the XE cold pipe or any cold pipe for the veloster for that matter will not fit.
the outlet on the IC is farther away from the TB on the veloster than our forte.
its best to piece out your own sorta mimic a design out there and custom make it work.
otherwise you will have to hack it up to make it fit.
i ended up having to turn one of the pieces the other way and cutting it at an angle to get it to line up.
i had to turn it the other way too or else no go.

this would have been a little easier had i not used the 3TBS especially with the sxth pipe but i wanted to make it work with what i already had.
i'll just showcase the pictures to show what was done and explain some things along the way.

i started off doing the TB coolant bypass and flushed out the old coolant to Amsoil.
right jug is the drain and going left are the 4 gal flush.
Liquid Bottle Plastic bottle Fluid Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Electrical wiring

this was my start of trying to see how things will fit and doing some measurements.
all this was initially with the wrong TB and no 3TBS and you can see how little clearance there really was.
Light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system
Automotive fuel system Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
just contrasting and comparing the stock cold pipe to the XE cold pipe
Hand Automotive tire Finger Automotive lighting Fender
Hand Automotive tire Gas Auto part Bumper
Automotive tire Tire Finger Audio equipment Tread
Automotive tire Bumper Tread Bicycle part Synthetic rubber
Bicycle part Nickel Composite material Auto part Cylinder
Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Tire Rim
Auto part Metal Denim Leather Fashion accessory

both TB's side by side
Product Camera lens Tableware Camera accessory Serveware

this set is with the 3TBS and wrong TB.
took pictures at different angles on how close together it was and even height difference
you have to understand at this point i was scratching my head wondering wtf why isn't this fitting lol.
i didn't know i had the wrong TB at the time.
after asking trdtoy about it, i finally realized i had the wrong TB.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Gas Auto part Machine Machine tool Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas
Car Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
now that i got the right TB here goes the install
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive design
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car

here are the differences from the wrong TB, stock, and the 60mm.
the 60mm is shorter than the stock isn't that amazing!
Camera lens Cylinder Drinkware Tableware Serveware
Drinkware Font Gas Cylinder Serveware

3TBS
Audio equipment Gas Auto part Circle Metal

i had to bend the coolant lines on the 60mm TB upwards to make it fit
Automotive lighting Gas Personal protective equipment Camera lens Optical instrument

3TBS/60mm TB installed
i didn't screw the metal piece that holds the TB wire to the TB but instead zip tied it to another cable.
the longer bolt included with the 3TBS were a tight fit.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

the cold pipe was very hard to cut-to-fit without bending the pipe.
i had to cut it a few times to just get it right.
the ugly cut in the middle was how i got the pipe.
that was suppose to be the outside end where you would cut off to fit.
i did the best with what i had and managed to get it all clamped together nice and snug.
White Light Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Vehicle brake
Automotive lighting Product Automotive tire Camera lens Automotive design

i then forgot to add the port that goes on top of the TB.
instead of having to tap a barbed fitting, i just used the adapter and port included with the 3TBS.
later i may use another port for a boost gauge.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Auto part Automotive fuel system Automotive design
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood

all in all it wasn't that hard to do.
the hardest part was customizing the cold pipe to meet my application.
i still have yet to do some more driving but upon initial test drive it feels like there's more throttle power.
it wasn't a night and day difference but it's slightly noticeable.
i will need to do more driving and see how it feels.
seems like it helps more in the mid range.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so my update on the cold pipe / TB install:
definitely worth it the throttle is more peppy and feels like its ready to go.
its not a night and day difference but its still noticeable throughout the entire power band.
i use to think it was just mid range but it can be felt all around.
turbo feels a little less restricted too so it seems like its almost all gone now.
i can feel the turbo push harder from doing these mods.
it feels more fun to drive now just thinking back how terrible kia had it stock so laughable.
this mod can essentially be had for around $130-150 minus the 3TBS.
if you do the hot side you need to do the cold side too and vise versa.
if you plan to do water/meth injection or boost gauge 3TBS ftw with some modifying.

Reactions: drc69
1 - 12 of 12 Posts