Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may be familiar with the popular clutch switch mod on the VT forums to remove the ECU interference (revs not dropping as quickly after the clutch is pushed in) and giving you that old school MT feel.

Well when I first got my car I checked (very quickly) and did not see a 2nd switch... only the 1 which is used to tell the ECU when the clutch is depressed to start the car. With this plug unplugged, the car will not start.

I then found out that the Kia Souls use a single switch and because I couldn't see the second switch on my car I assumed we used a single switch too. I was wrong - there is a 2nd clutch switch like the Veloster.

Today I was doing a few things and decided I would pop back under and have a look. I have an aftermarket remote starter installed and sure enough, it was blocking the view of the already very difficult 2nd clutch switch. I had to lay on my back with my hand pushing the clutch in just so my head could fit but after the struggle I found the switch on the top of the pedal.

Here's a rough diagram trying to explain the placement:

It is on the very top of the pedal arm, tucked on top of the bracket.

The plug faces the rear of the car. Pushing down the tab and pulling towards the front of the car will allow you to remove it.

Doing so will disable cruise control and remove the shift indicator but will not cause any lights on the dash. I unplugged mine and went for a drive.

Coming off the gas while still in gear will cause the car to jerk... just like a typical manual.

Pushing in the clutch causes a slight "clunk" - it didn't feel smooth at all but releasing the clutch was a smooth engagement.

All this said, this was just after having my battery removed from the car and the ECU removed while I was doing the ground points so I don't know if this has any impact on how it would make the car drive after a few cycles so the ECU can "learn" my driving again.

This mod is very popular on the VT forums and I did feel like it drove like an old school MT again, but there is a clunk as soon as you push in the clutch to shift... Im assuming this is the clutch delay valve (which the VT's) do not have.

If someone wants to give it a shot and see if they experience that same clunk I would appreciate it.

Thanks for lookin.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey dude, I gave this one a go! The clip was exactly where you explained and it was just as fun as you described to get at it.

I gave my car a good 15min drive. The car feels and shifts better. I find it more reactive. The only thing I'm unsure of is when off throttle. My exhaust has a low cackle throughout the entire time I'm off throttle. It isn't bad exhausts with res delete and straight pipe do cackle. At a stop my idle is the same its just the deceleration cackle is predominantly there now.

I would love for someone with a bit more expertise than me to chime in if possible.

Oh and my ESC warning light came on after a good couple WOT runs where I broke a bit more traction than normal with ESC being off.

I'll report back after a couple more days of driving. If anyone else wants to chime in It would be appreciated
Cheers

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I plugged it back in. Still was getting the clunk, are you?

The popping out the exhaust is totally normal, people have mentioned the same things on the VT forums.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did another drive this time 40km. Ran my OBD everything looks good. Again after some WOT stuff my ESC warning light kicked on but everything else looked good and no clunking you're describing when pushing on the clutch though

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. If you see a plug and it's relatively easy to get at, you'll know its NOT the right one.

Revs definitely fall quicker giving you a more smooth 1-2 shift but I was getting a clunk every time I pushed in the clutch. I still get it with switch plugged in but not nearly as frequently. Research seems to show its just drive line lash.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any news on this?

Those of you doing it, is it still working well?

I am going in for my first warranty issues tomorrow. My throw out bearing is cluinking, and my blower motor in the cabin is squeaking. lol

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried this before I did the CDV delete, but went back to plugging it in because that little clunk I was talking about never went away.

I've done the CDV delete, and find the car a joy to drive.

So I never did this mod again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts