Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm writing to ask if someone had experienced the same. I'm driving a Forte Koup 2015 SX M/T (no mods so far). Sometimes when I switch to 3rd gear, the stick doesn't want to stay and it returns to neutral. Other times is kind of clunky, I can feel or heard like a grinding when I switch to 3rd gear. Also, sometimes it doesn't want to get the reverse. I try to put the reverse and is very hard, like locked, and I need to put it in 1st and move it again to reverse. This have been happening a while back, at first I though it was me doing something wrong, but lately is happening more regularly and now it caught my attention now. Any advise on this issue will be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I would vote for engine mount and then shifter bushings.

I remember that mine (2015 F5, owned it from 11k-20k miles) had sometimes a problem to get reverse in. Other than that - nothing wrong. Quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The reverse thing is fairly normal for any manual car. Since there's no reverse syncro you can use 1st for an inch to get it all lined up. Though I don't think I've ever had to do that with mine yet.

When selecting 4th gear on mine there does seem to be a false engagement spot sometimes, haven't noticed a pattern on why/when it happens. Feels like it goes in but have to pull it back farther to really go in. Letting out the clutch while in that sort of engaged spot will result in it popping out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
For the reverse issue, try unscrewing the knob 1 turn. The silly design when it's fully tightened down I've noticed prevents the reverse lockout from lifting fully.

For the third gear issue: I've never had it pop out but for a while I've found it a PITA to put in 3rd and 5th. I get a super gritty feeling shift that sometimes feels like I'm hitting the gate.

Dealer test drove it and said it was normal (figures).

I'd be interested to hear what yours says.

2016 with 24,000 kms.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reverse thing is fairly normal for any manual car. Since there's no reverse syncro you can use 1st for an inch to get it all lined up. Though I don't think I've ever had to do that with mine yet.

When selecting 4th gear on mine there does seem to be a false engagement spot sometimes, haven't noticed a pattern on why/when it happens. Feels like it goes in but have to pull it back farther to really go in. Letting out the clutch while in that sort of engaged spot will result in it popping out.
Maybe I'm getting too confident on driving M/T (first M/T car) that I'm releasing the clutch too early. Maybe I'll give it a better try.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have been experiencing similar issues in my car. I get that sometimes you may have to bump it into first then reverse, however my car started doing this also more regularly like every single time I reverse. Its getting really bad.

As for your issue with 3rd syncros gotta be. Because if it pops out of gear I really don't think it would be your error or you wouldn't be here. As I have posted on here before its not uncommon for these trans to have throwout bearing issues or in your case bad syncros. Now obviously I don't know for sure but if it happens on the regular and you have warranty take it in and replicate.

Now My car doesn't shoot gears out but when I shift quickly it is really really crunchy to shift, and even hurts my hand on how hard I have to "RAM" into gear. Plus when I'm WOT and grab say 4th sometimes I cant even get it into gear just doesn't even enter the gate. As always I just toss out experience here instead of the hard facts and I hope no one minds but its the best input I can put towards this forum. I had a few different kia techs look at my car and no one really wants to deal with it they say just drive it easier its just the way it is. But if I'm in traffic and need to down shift and get on it then it pops or doesn't engage entirely I'm going to get into a wreck and that pisses me off.

I don't want to change the shifter bushings or even the oil because I don't want to prolong the problem I would rather just have this thing break. Something for the OP to consider. Ive been driving my car with these issues for about 8k miles since it was noticeably bad and not just once and a while. Still shop wont cover till it blows to pieces even though it shift like a car with 200k miles. frustrating...

Thanks for reading any input or correction is appreciated guys.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been experiencing similar issues in my car. I get that sometimes you may have to bump it into first then reverse, however my car started doing this also more regularly like every single time I reverse. Its getting really bad.

As for your issue with 3rd syncros gotta be. Because if it pops out of gear I really don't think it would be your error or you wouldn't be here. As I have posted on here before its not uncommon for these trans to have throwout bearing issues or in your case bad syncros. Now obviously I don't know for sure but if it happens on the regular and you have warranty take it in and replicate.

Now My car doesn't shoot gears out but when I shift quickly it is really really crunchy to shift, and even hurts my hand on how hard I have to "RAM" into gear. Plus when I'm WOT and grab say 4th sometimes I cant even get it into gear just doesn't even enter the gate. As always I just toss out experience here instead of the hard facts and I hope no one minds but its the best input I can put towards this forum. I had a few different kia techs look at my car and no one really wants to deal with it they say just drive it easier its just the way it is. But if I'm in traffic and need to down shift and get on it then it pops or doesn't engage entirely I'm going to get into a wreck and that pisses me off.

I don't want to change the shifter bushings or even the oil because I don't want to prolong the problem I would rather just have this thing break. Something for the OP to consider. Ive been driving my car with these issues for about 8k miles since it was noticeably bad and not just once and a while. Still shop wont cover till it blows to pieces even though it shift like a car with 200k miles. frustrating...

Thanks for reading any input or correction is appreciated guys.
Thanks for your input. I have the same issue with fast shifting and 3rd. Sometimes I need to shift quickly to 3rd and is very hard to get on it, that even it has pushed me the shift into 1st or 5th gear. I will take it to warranty then. I just wanted to make sure if this is an issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for your input. I have the same issue with fast shifting and 3rd. Sometimes I need to shift quickly to 3rd and is very hard to get on it, that even it has pushed me the shift into 1st or 5th gear. I will take it to warranty then. I just wanted to make sure if this is an issue.

That's just it, they know something is wrong but not completely broken are they going to cover it? If they do or whatever would you like me know how or what you had to do to get it covered? It would be much appreciated, just quote a post of mine then ill get an alert even if this doesn't happen for months. I'm not going anywhere lol I just don't read through everything all the time. Thanks again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's just it, they know something is wrong but not completely broken are they going to cover it? If they do or whatever would you like me know how or what you had to do to get it covered? It would be much appreciated, just quote a post of mine then ill get an alert even if this doesn't happen for months. I'm not going anywhere lol I just don't read through everything all the time. Thanks again.
No problem, I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine has issues going into gear when it's cold. Reverse has always been problematic but also during some aggressive driving it does have trouble finding 4th.

I'm thinking a short shifter is in the cards for me. As far as I know the only one available for our cars at the moment is the Cosmos one?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem, I'll let you know what they say.
This is a follow up on the third gear issue. I spoke this weekend with the manager in Kia service form the dealership I bough the car. About the 3rd gear, he suggested to keep count when this happens, if it when the car still a little bit cold, or when it's been running a while. If it happens while it is cold then it is related to cold oil in the transmission but once it is heated the problem should go away. Also told me to make sure clutch is all the way in. If it happens while the car is running for a while, then I should bring it for check. Yesterday the car didn't wanted to get the 3rd gear even I push in hard, that was like 5 minutes after I turned it on. I'm just keeping a log to make sure it is related to cold start or the transmission.

About reverse, he told me that is shift synchronization. Since revers is next to first, it needs to do some synchronization. This is normal, just put it on 1st and return to reverse.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i'm surprised some of you have 3rd gear grind already and gears popping back out.
how many miles on your cars? my 15 MT at 27k now has no problems so far with regard to shifting.
just the rpm jump with the touch of the gas and rpm drops shifting from 1-2 bother me atm.
every now and then i'll do a lazy engagement into 2nd and sort of be half way in it.
i have to let it back out and try again otherwise it grinds going in weird.
as far as R, cold starts and not warming up enough will cause this to be more difficult.
if its stubborn what i do is i run through the gears 1-6 before popping it in R.
at 25k the transmission oil was trash and i replaced it with Redline.
don't hold out to what the owners manual say i would change it every 30k miles.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I threw mine into 3rd once thinking it was fifth during some spirited driving. Whoa!

My reverse does require a bit of a gentle touch sometimes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My sometimes the revers get funny but I put in 1 them go back to revers and go smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
One time only I miss 3 , and the tranny lock few time 1 now is working normal

·
Registered
524 Posts
I figure I've never had to use 1st to engage reverse because 1st is usually the last thing I use when parking/pulling up driveway into garage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is a follow up on the third gear issue. I spoke this weekend with the manager in Kia service form the dealership I bough the car. About the 3rd gear, he suggested to keep count when this happens, if it when the car still a little bit cold, or when it's been running a while. If it happens while it is cold then it is related to cold oil in the transmission but once it is heated the problem should go away. Also told me to make sure clutch is all the way in. If it happens while the car is running for a while, then I should bring it for check. Yesterday the car didn't wanted to get the 3rd gear even I push in hard, that was like 5 minutes after I turned it on. I'm just keeping a log to make sure it is related to cold start or the transmission.

About reverse, he told me that is shift synchronization. Since revers is next to first, it needs to do some synchronization. This is normal, just put it on 1st and return to reverse.
My never has issues cold or hot is a 2015

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.