Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was digging around the VT.....Do any of you have experience with CRC cleaner for removing carbon from the valves?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used the CRC GDIV intake valve cleaner on my car just a few weeks ago. I only had 12k miles and no scope to check the before and after. Its not going to take years and years of carbon buildup off however it should do great as a preventative maintenence treatment. I plan on doing this twice a year. Its not expensive and it will keep the buildup to a minimum.

As far as use it was easy I simply loosened the cold side pipe from the factory IC to the throttle body enough to get the spray nozzle in right before the throttle plate. I enlisted my gfs assistance to hold the gas steady as I emptied the can into the intake. It's a lengthy process at least 15 to 30 minutes to empty the can.

I also found another similar product at autozone that was touted as specifically for direct injected motors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Reviving an old thread.

If I’m reading the last post correctly, the cleaner spray passes through them the IC, through the turbo, then the throttle body. Anyone else tried this maintenance yet?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Reviving an old thread.

If I’m reading the last post correctly, the cleaner spray passes through them the IC, through the turbo, then the throttle body. Anyone else tried this maintenance yet?

Nope.
You loosen up the short pipe between top side of the intercooler (that is the cold side, hot is on the bottom) and the throttle body. You inject cleaner there.

It does NOT pass the turbo. If you wanted to do that this way, you would have to spray into the tube coming off the air filter, as close as possible to the turbine. But the problem would be with liquid hitting turbo, not sure how it would take it... and then actually liquid collecting in the hot pipe or worse - evaporating in hot pipe and condensing in the intercooler without actually making its way to the intake manifold.

A problem I see here (in the original procedure) is that the heavier solvents that may not readily be sucked in and would condense in the intake manifold will collect in it. Sure, they will evaporate after a short drive, but one should be aware of it and drive the car, especially allowing a few longer engine braking runs to create big vacuum in the intake.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got it. My mistake, as the air goes into the IC hot and comes out cool.

CRC says it cleans the turbo too but didn’t say which side of the turbo.

Rolling up on 40k and looking to do this maintenance as well as changing out the auto tranny fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
I used the CRC GDIV intake valve cleaner on my car just a few weeks ago. I only had 12k miles and no scope to check the before and after. Its not going to take years and years of carbon buildup off however it should do great as a preventative maintenence treatment. I plan on doing this twice a year. Its not expensive and it will keep the buildup to a minimum.

As far as use it was easy I simply loosened the cold side pipe from the factory IC to the throttle body enough to get the spray nozzle in right before the throttle plate. I enlisted my gfs assistance to hold the gas steady as I emptied the can into the intake. It's a lengthy process at least 15 to 30 minutes to empty the can.

I also found another similar product at autozone that was touted as specifically for direct injected motors.
Did you notice your car running, starting, idling or accelerating better? Quieter valve activity? After the treatment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Best to take off the intake manifold...make sure the valve is closed. Dump some B12 and let it soak..scrub with a brush ..then vacuum it out...car will run like new again..

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Best to take off the intake manifold...make sure the valve is closed. Dump some B12 and let it soak..scrub with a brush ..then vacuum it out...car will run like new again..
How did it run before the procedure? How bad was it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a 6th Element catch can installed when it was at 15k miles. It is now 130k mile...I didn't have a compressor so didn't want to walnut blast...so I just went and got some B12 at Walmart...after the chemical has been soaked ..I scrubbed it with a brush and vacuum it out..the car now drives like it was brand new...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
So even with OCC you had intake valves caked?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Occ only slows down the carbon build up..its not going to stop it.. If you plan to keep the car for under 100k miles then you can ignore the cleaning...but if you plan to keep the car to 300k+ miles...then you should clean it...this takes me about 2 hours of my time...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I get it. Thanks.

What symptoms did you have? Or you just cleaned it because it was time...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts