Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

Can you mess up your transmission using the paddle shifters in the automatic

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Forte5 
#1 ·
Today i experimented using the paddle shifters in my 2015 forte koup sx automatic and shifting gears felt like crap especially when down shifting no mater what rpm i down shifted at the car would lunge foward, can you mess up your transmission if you dont paddle shift correctly?

#2 ·
I don't think so. If you did, it would be on Kia to fix as it is all electronically controlled. It won't shift gears unless it is safe to do so. If you downshift too early, it will have some engine braking. With practice learning the power band, and braking before downshifting, you can avoid all that. Not sure why you were experiencing what you describe. Maybe try to be off throttle for a split second before downshifting?

#4 ·
Mine does the same thing. It helps slow you down and is how the trans is controlled if you let off the throttle and are downshifting to slow down. I usually try to avoid high rpm downshifts unless I really have to. I actually really like how this transmission shifts compared to some cars I have owned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.