Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First of all I recently moved to CA. I was planning on doing some mod on my 2015 Forte Koup SX, then I found out that I need some stupid CARB stickers and numbers on new parts in order to be legal. I'm interested on installing an intake and a better exhaust system. I contacted a Kinetic agent and he told me that the exhaust might roll out in summer. I'm pretty positive that the kinetic exhaust will be CARB legal and will pass emission tests (it is from KIA), but which intake I can use that won't cause me any issues in CA? Or should I just install a Cone filter to the stock intake (please recommend one)? Also, I'm planing on installing a lip spoiler, do I need to register with the DMV this new part? From where I come from, any new parts (spoilers, over fenders, engine, etc.) needs to be registered with the DMV in order to reduce selling parts from stolen cars. Any recommendations, specially from someone living in CA, will be appreciated.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I believe k&n products are carb legal generally. I don't live in CA so I can't say for certain. Worth taking a look at though.
I would be surprised if you can find a CARB legal exhaust. Our options are pretty limited on those already.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
I am from Cali and my car is fully illegal. Nothing for our car is CARB legal except for doing a exhaust but you can't touch the cats. For a intake there is Tork motorsports, 845 motorsports, 6th element. There is also Injen but it's only a 3" intake and you would want a 3.5" for it. As for registering parts there is no need to. Don't mention anything done with the car lol

Oh you can also do suspension and brakes and of course wheels and tires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am from Cali and my car is fully illegal. Nothing for our car is CARB legal except for doing a exhaust but you can't touch the cats. For a intake there is Tork motorsports, 845 motorsports, 6th element. There is also Injen but it's only a 3" intake and you would want a 3.5" for it. As for registering parts there is no need to. Don't mention anything done with the car lol

Oh you can also do suspension and brakes and of course wheels and tires.
So basically, all I need to make sure is that it pass the smog tests and don't attract the police? I'm not into racing around, I just like my car looks and sound nice in a decent price.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe k&n products are carb legal generally. I don't live in CA so I can't say for certain. Worth taking a look at though.
I would be surprised if you can find a CARB legal exhaust. Our options are pretty limited on those already.
They aren't legal here, I already check it out.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Being located in cali also I have down research. Pretty much nothing is legal anymore but it is only illegal if you get caught. Just don't attract the police.

Instagram @darth_forte

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being located in cali also I have down research. Pretty much nothing is legal anymore but it is only illegal if you get caught. Just don't attract the police.

Instagram @darth_forte
Looks like that is the main thing. I've seen a lot of mod cars around the south bay area. They are easy to spot, but looks like the police won't mind them if they are chilling and not racing around. I think the important thing is to pass the smog tests.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sadly, here, its all illegal. You might get lucky and they either dont do the visual inspection or dont know what they are looking at - if you dont delete the cat you'll most likely pass. But if they do the visual (and they are suppose to), you'll fail there. I watched my neighbor with a COMPLETELY illegal porsche almost get by - the guy had no idea on the visual, and he would have passed the test except he threw a code in the last 10 seconds. So maybe you need to look around for the not so smart smog stations...!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly, here, its all illegal. You might get lucky and they either dont do the visual inspection or dont know what they are looking at - if you dont delete the cat you'll most likely pass. But if they do the visual (and they are suppose to), you'll fail there. I watched my neighbor with a COMPLETELY illegal porsche almost get by - the guy had no idea on the visual, and he would have passed the test except he threw a code in the last 10 seconds. So maybe you need to look around for the not so smart smog stations...!
Thanks for pointing that out. I just found that also found that they do a visual inspection. Maybe I just get a CARB muffler for a better sound in the output and a BoV to get that turbo spoiled. The other things I want is lower it but that is later, and won't add any more mods.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out. I just found that also found that they do a visual inspection. Maybe I just get a CARB muffler for a better sound in the output and a BoV to get that turbo spoiled. The other things I want is lower it but that is later, and won't add any more mods.
Honestly might be easier to just make good friends with a mechanic that does smog too and have him, well ya know

Instagram @darth_forte

1 - 10 of 10 Posts