Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am planning on ordering my Forte5 soon, and am already looking into upgrades,,

I have come across 2 people offering tunes, and just wanted to ask a few questions.

Since Tork is a sponsor to the site, and I have heard nothing but amazing things said about John and his team at Tork, I am just going to assume that Tork gives a really good tune. The only problem I can see is having only 1 ECU in case an issue of warranty arises.

On the other hand, I have only heard of BTR (Blood Type Racing) recently for their sick veloster (thanks Forte5 :p ). Though on their website, the only option for the tune is "Tuned on extra ECU."

Does this mean they are supplying an ECU for your car, or they are sending you a tuned one and you send your stock one back? If they send me an ECU to keep, holy cow, thats a good deal. Yet I wonder how reliable/safe it would be.

From everything I have read, John is conservative and thats a word I can appreciate. Playing devil's advocate, more power = more smiles.

What do you guys think? Has anyone purchased a tune from BTR? I know Tork has a lot of people that have their tunes so feel free to chime in.

In other news... I have been into my dealer and will be ordering a 2016 Forte5 SX in January, in hopes that Halifax wont get snowed in again, and it will be here by May :)

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
That btr VT is insane but there is no dyno numbers backing up that 500hp yet. I hear btr is pretty conservative also. I think they send you a ecu that's tuned and you send yours into them. I am not sure they do it like John where he copies your stock file incase something happens he can flash your ecu to stock profile.

John also has a Sema VT that he hasn't released any info on yet. His will have the dyno numbers to back his claim. I'm not saying the btr isn't true but they didn't supply a dyno yet

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been very happy with my Tork tune. It runs well and seems to be conservative. I have been running it for months now. I can't speak for BTR.
I would suggest adding all of your mods first, then adding the tune. This way you can see the difference the tune makes, which is far more than that of the bolt ons.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I know in some other cars the clutch can end up being the weak point and at stage 2 and even some stage 1s it requires putting in an upgraded clutch. Any idea on the strength of ours? Wondering if in a year or two there will be a bunch of "my clutch is slipping" posts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know in some other cars the clutch can end up being the weak point and at stage 2 and even some stage 1s it requires putting in an upgraded clutch. Any idea on the strength of ours? Wondering if in a year or two there will be a bunch of "my clutch is slipping" posts.
Hey, thats something I didn't even think of, and a really good question.

How much hp can our transmission/clutch handle?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hey, thats something I didn't even think of, and a really good question.

How much hp can our transmission/clutch handle?
More than what bolt ons and a stage 1 tune will give.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just based on gut feel or are the parts shared with a car with higher power?

I know the Veloster turbo went to a regular automatic over the DCT in the base one because it wasn't up to the task with the added power.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just based on gut feel or are the parts shared with a car with higher power?

I know the Veloster turbo went to a regular automatic over the DCT in the base one because it wasn't up to the task with the added power.
There are many VTs running around at over 250+ WHP with the M/T and not having problems. The A/T does have limitations around 260 WHP.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Correct, we will be purchasing the software soon and starting tune development.

Name stays the same though ;)
Looks like I bought my new forte at the perfect time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Tork has a sale going on for the tunes on the VT forum

·
Registered
458 Posts
Tork has a sale going on for the tunes on the VT forum
I'll have a look, might be ready for this until summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
He has it on sale for $495 and you get some free add ons in the tune if you want

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks, I already emailed them last week about getting a tune and a short throw shifter. They told me a while back that they weren't sure if the hyundai one would fit so they would just modify a kia one and send that to be sure. I don't think I'd minding waiting an extra week or two to save $100 on the tune :p

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Clutches are actually pretty strong, first weak link is the disk. It is good up until 250-260 lb ft. Even then I ran at those kind of power on a factory clutch for 6-8 months before it started to act up. I also drive it very hard.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Also, earlier in the post it was talked about how the OP would like to have an extra ECU, we let you purchase a spare ECU if you would like, and VIN match your new ECU to your car, that way you can keep your stock ECU stock and your Tuned ECU tuned. Just switch them out for warrenty work and you are good to go!
Tyson

Reactions: Caezar and Forte5
1 - 20 of 21 Posts