Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planing to install a cone air filter (most likely the specter) and do the simple mod of removing the recirculating tube from the stock intake to produce a louder "PHHSSSS". Before doing these mods, I would like to ask to those who has done it, did it caused an issue in your engine? Have't you got any problem with the turbo (lag, performance degrade, long time damage) and/or engine (CEL issues) that made you regret installing these mods? This is my first time modifying a car and I'm worried about the warranty. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
981 Posts
That was the first thing I did 2 years ago and never an issue from it, just more noise.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just recently did it myself a couple weeks ago. No apparent difference in turbo lag or performance. I did not remove the hose. Just unplugged the top part and plugged the intake. Simple as could be to hook it back up for dealer visits. I don't think there's any real benefit to going to the cone filter in place over the stock.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Remove that hose and the blow off sound will be louder. :cool: I have not noticed any more lag or any engine issues at all.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
some-people-just-58hhva.jpg

haha

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Hi,

I'm planing to install a cone air filter (most likely the specter) and do the simple mod of removing the recirculating tube from the stock intake to produce a louder "PHHSSSS". Before doing these mods, I would like to ask to those who has done it, did it caused an issue in your engine? Have't you got any problem with the turbo (lag, performance degrade, long time damage) and/or engine (CEL issues) that made you regret installing these mods? This is my first time modifying a car and I'm worried about the warranty. Thanks for your time.
Please don't do a Specter filter. Look around and spend a little bit of money on one of the single most important items you could put on the car.

Removing the hose from the factory box will have zero impact on the car or the engine. You will simply get more noise or the BOV sound. No CEL's, no damage, nothing can happen.

This shouldn't impact the warranty in any way, but running a cheap filter could have some consequences, so get a good filter.

Thanks,

Tork Motorsprots

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
In your opinion, what would be a superior alternative to the Spectre 9731?
AEM, or a filter that has bonded rubber in the ends.

What we have found is that those filters that have bonded rubber on both ends normally have to use a higher quality filter media than those that have the end caps or chrome covers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please don't do a Specter filter. Look around and spend a little bit of money on one of the single most important items you could put on the car.

Removing the hose from the factory box will have zero impact on the car or the engine. You will simply get more noise or the BOV sound. No CEL's, no damage, nothing can happen.

This shouldn't impact the warranty in any way, but running a cheap filter could have some consequences, so get a good filter.

Thanks,

Tork Motorsprots
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the information. Here is the thread with the Cone air filter issue:

http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/19-...rmance/193-spectre-air-filter-power-loss.html

This guy use a Specter cone filter. You mentioned before that those filters causes problems. Could you please recomend which type of filter I should look for (brand and model)? Thanks for everything.

·
Registered
445 Posts
AEM, or a filter that has bonded rubber in the ends.

What we have found is that those filters that have bonded rubber on both ends normally have to use a higher quality filter media than those that have the end caps or chrome covers.
I have added a filter pre-wrap that supposedly filters particles down to 5 microns. That should help right?

799-420 - AIRAID Filter Wraps, Pre-Filter Wrap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts