Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Fit totaled in an accident.....great car for what it was and at 145,000, was running well and would have gotten to 200k.

Taking this opportunity to get a bigger hatch though. Power and some more width is needed, and some tech.

So I'm between a Forte5 SXT and a Mazda3 GT and both have pros and cons:

Mazda3:

Pros: steering feels good, powertrain is peppy enough and gets more MPG's, nice interior and feel to trim pieces, exterior looks good, better when lowered
Cons: Will the powertrain be reliable? lifetime AT? trolling the forums I've found the fluid should be changed every 30k and it will be a pain in the ass to do, rear seat ingress and egress (bank my head getting in and feels tighter on the knees)

Forte5 SXT:

Pros: you guys already know, the power, the features, the looks a simply stated and grows on you, remind me of my old fit, back seat was pretty good when I sat behind the drivers seat in the position I would sit in.

cons: I know the mpgs will be alot less than the 3, reliability over time given that so many here run catch cans, would buy used and not sure the Kia warranty would transfer to a new owner

So I've decided to register at forums for both cars and have been digging around and I'm leaning towards the forte, and have downloaded the service manual for review to see if this is something I can maintain myself (intermediate diy'er)

Any long term owners here wishing they got a mazda3? are any of you with stock cars having issues? should I call Kia corporate to confirm the warranty question I have or will it transfer?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Before I bought my forte5 I looked into the Mazda 3 gt. After doing lots of reading I came to the conclusion that the kia was faster but the Mazda was better for like driving windy roads.

Instagram @darth_forte

·
Registered
535 Posts
I owned a '13 Mazda3 before my F5. Not what you are comparing but I can say I had tons of transmission issues with it and it only had 46k miles.

The Kia powertrain is first owner only I believe so keep that in mind.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
If your the second owner it's only a 50k warranty. Look to see what the price difference is between new and used. That extra 50k miles to make it a full 100k warranty might just be worth it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The SX is a faster and well equipped car but gas is not good . But comparing a 3 to a SX is kind of comparing the wrong models . An ex forte in tech package is probably what you are looking for . This way you get it all except the 201 hp and tuning options . I never personally would ever want a Mazda 3 though . A Mazda speed 3 however I may have considered if I had not been living under a rock for the past 5 years lol

·
Registered
524 Posts
I also seriously looked at the new 3. Really came down to me just not being as comfortable in it as I was in the Forte and Golf. But the 3 is also much more expensive. Having gotten my F5 SX new under $18k but a M3 GT coming in around $25k. Imagine that's even more true used as Mazdas hold their value better than Kia.

Speaking of I would check out a Golf as well. As the dieselgate issue goes on I'm sure dealers are even more desperate for sales. Back when I was shopping I had dealers trying to throw a base Golf at me new in the $16k range. Great platform and a simple tune adds a ton of power.

It becomes a 5 year/60k warranty for second owner. Not 50. Though if it's a certified used one at a dealer it gets the original 10/100k.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I considered a Mazda 3 hatch. But for comparable options it cost quite a bit more and I just didn't like it. The car didn't seem to have much character to me.
The primary other car I was considering was a Focus hatch with the sport suspension set up. With an intake and good e85 or maybe even premium people were seeing higher whp than we see stock.
It's probably still not as quick in a straight line but the steering feel was closer to a Mazda than to ours and a used one was several thousand cheaper. Sometimes I still regret not going that route but there's plenty to love about the KIA too. Our hatch has more usable space than the Focus by far. Plus kia/hyundai is considered the new Honda or Toyota as far as reliability goes.

The forte5 is faster, reasonably priced, actually has a good aftermarket support probably due to the close relation to the Veloster turbo, has the best warranty, and tons of usable space. Plus a lot of options even base. And for $125 shipped you can get a couple suspension goodies that will tighten everything up for you.
Maybe I don't regret not getting a focus...
I definitely do regret not getting a mazda, except maybe for mpgs.

But the choice is yours. Sounds like you're doing your due diligence as far as research goes. I bet you enjoy whatever you drive :) as long as it's a hatch...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts