Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Black residue on the back of the car. Is it soot?

I am not sure where it is coming from... could it be exhaust as I can see those only on the back of the car?

It is like soot, wet soot. When touched, it is powdery and very staining. Washes of easily, though (from car, not from hands).
Any ideas?

I put it here thinking it is related to black pipes, meaning engine, but if we solve the problem, it should be moved to the right section, please.

Trunk lid

20160401_122616.jpg

Rear bumper

20160401_122648.jpg

Exhaust tips

20160401_122712.jpg

·
Registered
633 Posts
Its just soot.

Nature of the GDI motor.

I'd advise a good wash, polish and then a heavy coat of wax.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I would add then - gently on throttle...
bummer

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks.

bummer
Looks like it needs to be driven spirited to blow all that soot out before you wash lol

Reactions: PLP and Prince_bigd

·
Registered
192 Posts
The nature of the GDI motors they actually seem to respond better to some hard driving rather than being babied all the time. As others said it's just soot, better out than staying in ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks.

bummer
Little bit of soot ain't gonna stop me from driving the car how it should be driven ;)

Seriously though wax helps quite a bit.

My car is white and before winter I waxed just the hatch and I don't have much soot at all. Actually, my exhaust tips still shine after 5000 kms.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I let it breathe, oh yeah, I do. Maybe that's why it is coming so much. Who know what previous owner was doing... maybe was a gentle drive?

Thanks guys for the support. I am glad it is what I expected.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Nothing to worry about, Turbocharged direct injection vehicles are notorious for this, well turbocharged in general, direct injection just adds a bit more black.

Best solution? Frequent washes and lots of hard pulls. (The pulls wont help but they are very fun! lol)

Tyson

·
Registered
580 Posts
Lol . My exhaust tips are dyed black from the stuff but I like it ! Over time it lessons until you retune it and it goes through the self learning faze again . No worries they run really rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I am not sure where it is coming from... could it be exhaust as I can see those only on the back of the car?

It is like soot, wet soot. When touched, it is powdery and very staining. Washes of easily, though (from car, not from hands).
Any ideas?

I put it here thinking it is related to black pipes, meaning engine, but if we solve the problem, it should be moved to the right section, please.

Trunk lid

View attachment 2079

Rear bumper

View attachment 2078

Exhaust tips

View attachment 2077
Common issue with GDI, a good tune helps reduce this a great deal.

Check out damnfastdd.com for some tuning options.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do have smoke coming out, but this is simply water vapour from burning petrol. On cold days in the morning, I can get so much "smoke" coming out that the rear glass gets foggy for a moment.
That is normal.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not blue. I've only got 3500km on it.
so, when you see the smoke, put your hand in it. Hold it a moment there. Does it feel wet after several seconds in the smoke? If yes - moisture. Normal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts